I am having a lot of fun building these days, but I am not spending time on a Motorcycle. I guess I need to spend a little more time here if something is going to happen. We'll see where this goes.

So far it has a flat 4 engine and the start of a 4 speed transmission.

800x600.jpg

I'm gonna build the Ducati and see what happens....

Edited by Thirdwigg
Wrong Photo

6 hours ago, steph77 said:

Cool to see you're in!

S.

Me too, so far...

@Jurss, yep, all the changeover parts are missing so far. I need to take some things apart.

But I think I need to change it up, the Front steering will be 15 studs wide. Way too wide, so back to the drawing board.

800x600.jpg

Ok, anotherone 2WD. I just found today some satisfying solution for my entry (topic is somewhere still on first page).

But it is really hard to make something compact, nice in this scale. I even tried landrover rims with some baloon tires. Something could be possible with those rims from 8420, but I don't have those wheels.

@Jurss Actually, the 8640 wheels give me another stud with those wheel hubs. Now it's 13 wide, still too wide but better. I'll set it aside for a little bit an let is simmer while I work on the transmission.

I stole @steph77's idea for the time being. I'll keep working on this until it's what I need it to be. 

800x600.jpg

I am trying to do the Kickboxer AWD, but maybe I'll end up with the Kickboxer diesel.

kickboxer-diesel-awd-rr.jpg

I have started so many motorcycles, and have quit nearly as many. I find them difficult to make the lines works, the mechanics function, and the they never are as good as others. We'll see if I keep going on this, or if I move to something a little more simple.

800x450.jpg

I started a draft of the chassis just to get an idea of sizing and placement. I am going to hold off on the AWD for the time being. The wheelbase is set, and the placement of the engine and transmission are generally where they need to go.

I spent some time on the front swingarm today, and I'm stuck. Keeping the suspension, steering, and and strength are proving to be a challenge. I'll move to the rear tomorrow, and then back to the transmission.

We'll see what comes of this...Or if I move to something a little more simple. Like a Monster or something.

This is looking pretty cool so far.  I hear you on the challenges of having a single front swing arm, that includes steering suspension and strength. 

I'm looking forward to see how you progress that idea though. 

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

How now engine is connected to gearbox?

It’s not yet. I have so much work to do on this. 

6 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

This is looking pretty cool so far.  I hear you on the challenges of having a single front swing arm, that includes steering suspension and strength. 

I'm looking forward to see how you progress that idea though. 

Thanks, I had another idea for the front. We’ll see how it turns out. 

Maybe, to simplify things, you should leave AWD. I know, you really wanna build it, but I think it's just too hard.

Good luck anyway!

35 minutes ago, chlego said:

Maybe, to simplify things, you should leave AWD. I know, you really wanna build it, but I think it's just too hard.

Good luck anyway!

For the time being, it will be rear wheel drive only. I'll pick it back up if things improve from where the current build stands.

I am not sure I have been so frustrated, confused, and yet committed to a MOC before.

A number of different drafts of the front suspension, and I still don't fully like the way it works.

800x800.jpg

I spent all day yesterday thinking about how to get the gearbox to work the way I wanted. I went through 9 different mocups on paper, and four different builds. Gearboxes are so hard for my brain to wrap around, and then add in the complexity of swingarms, engines, frames, changeovers, all while not being more than 7 studs wide. My head still hurts.

800x600.jpg

Here is where the motorcycles stands now.

800x450.jpg

It's messy, but It's something. Everything works. But the changeover is a little gummy, the front suspension is not braced, and the steering is lame. I'll get there, but I think I need to rest my brain today.

Don't worry, gearboxes beyond 2 speeds are a total mystery for me too ;-) I'm sure you'll crack this nut, sometimes a sleep over works magic and bricks fall to place almost by themselves next day.

Good luck and best regards.

I always stick to an already proven gearbox design, I've never (succesfully) created my own. It's indeed to complex. Just make sure you follow the gearbox collection thread and you can always find something there to suit your needs. Saves you a lot of headache:wink:. Well, then all components still need to be connected and braced, but at least that is stuff I understand...

I found over the past months that I am totally unable to build for more than 2 nights in a row. Whether it is the current situation in the world around us, or just my age starting to play up I don't know... Resting the brain (or at least time away from LEGO) does wonders and usually gives me some fresh ideas as well.

I'm going through similar frustrations/headaches with mine too, so i feel your pain. Yours still looks like it's coming along well though. 

9 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Don't worry, gearboxes beyond 2 speeds are a total mystery for me too ;-) I'm sure you'll crack this nut, sometimes a sleep over works magic and bricks fall to place almost by themselves next day.

Good luck and best regards.

We'll see. I set it aside today, so I hope that helps.

7 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

I always stick to an already proven gearbox design, I've never (succesfully) created my own. It's indeed to complex. Just make sure you follow the gearbox collection thread and you can always find something there to suit your needs. Saves you a lot of headache:wink:. Well, then all components still need to be connected and braced, but at least that is stuff I understand...

I found over the past months that I am totally unable to build for more than 2 nights in a row. Whether it is the current situation in the world around us, or just my age starting to play up I don't know... Resting the brain (or at least time away from LEGO) does wonders and usually gives me some fresh ideas as well.

I resonate very much with both of these ideas. I have not designed a gearbox, so I am thankful for all those who have, and who let me use their ideas. But sometimes finding how to insert a gearbox, and all the support is the main problem. This is the problem in this build. I, also, at least understand these structures more than the gearboxes, but its still not going as smoothly as I would like.

I also find taking some time off is helpful. I have built for the last 4 nights after not being able to build for a while, so I'll break tonight.

2 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

I'm going through similar frustrations/headaches with mine too, so i feel your pain. Yours still looks like it's coming along well though. 

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get there eventually. 

After a little time away from this motorcycle, I spent some time moving panels around. Once I have a general idea about where the exterior parts will go, I'll start solidifying the frame, and adding in some details. At some point I'll clean up the colors to make it a consistent Black, Orange, and DBG.

The drivetrain is now in and works very well. The shifter works better with each frame improvement (stiffening). The front steering is not flashy but works fine. The front suspension holds the bike, but needs a little more flair so I'll see what I can do about that.

I am having some trouble with the fuel tank now. I have a general shape in mind, but so far the perfect panel placement has not yet presented itself. Ugh...

800x600.jpg

The seat is placement and design is mostly set, but I'll need to do rear lights a little more greebling under the seat.

800x600.jpg

Next up exhaust and some more frame locking.

Looks good so far, love the concept

The stiffening that makes the shiffter go better is a known feeling :classic:

Maybe you should add a support going +/- from the base of the rear swingarm to the rear end of the seat. It would give a little more consistance to this area and, if realised structurally, could heelp the rear suspension not stressing the shiffter area. In the same idea, i would add a horizontal frame section between the steering bar and the rear frame (on upper side of the engine)

And, maybe you could center the exhaust pipes (that looks good) on each cylindre by using 2X 1 brick of two studs with centeraxle hole ?

Good work!

EDIT: for the fuel tank, i would use the same panels but oriented by 180° and taking one more stud in lenght so the front end do not 'popup' as it does now. Always a challenging area this fuel tank...

Edited by steph77
complement

Another update, thought it looks like no progress has been made. I tried about 15 different tank ideas, and this one seems to show a little bit of promise. I'll sit on this, and see what I can do with it.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

There is still a little gap above the #21 panels I would like to close, but I like the gap below. It will give me a little space to do exhaust and intake.

I wanted to spend some time detailing, but the panels took all my time. Next time....

@steph77 I'll wait until all the panels are generally placed, and then rebuild the frame with those outside attachment points in mind. Currently, there is space above, below, and in front of the engine for stiffening, so there should be a way to get everything stronger.

- I also struggle with the positions of the small panel that fill the gape lateraly.

I finaly decided not putting those piece, as without it i have a better view to the pistons movement.

Maybe some grabbing around the engine would visually compensate?

- Ok for the frame, understood your buildlding skill :wink:

I like the tank less this morning after a sleep, so it may not be done. I'm going to work on some other parts for a little bit.

7 hours ago, steph77 said:

I finaly decided not putting those piece, as without it i have a better view to the pistons movement.

Maybe some grabbing around the engine would visually compensate?

I think I need to keep this in mind, and maybe why moving to other parts of the motorcycle may be a good idea for the time being. Maybe if the engine details change, the tank shape will be a none issue.

9 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Looks so good... Looking for the right tank shape could be slightly longer then expected, as far as I know. ?

All these funny shapes. I feel like I am am just spinning my wheels on parts of this MOC.

Maybe try to make the tank with another angle, now it just has one and looks too sharp and straight, perhaps 3 pairs of those no1/no2 panels? And maybe front wheel could use some tiny cover, not a whole mudguard, just something sticking out under the headlight...don't get me wrong it looks ok, maybe just seems a bit exposed.