Sign in to follow this  
shimon

[MOC] AH-64 Apache PF

Hello everyone! 

I would like to present you my latest MOC, the Apache. 

It uses PF M for main and tail rotors and features a sturdy body. 

Hope you like it

Lego AH-64 Apache - YouTube

50767122878_d9e3fc37c3_b.jpg1 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767122318_fb233c69cb_b.jpg2 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767979167_04d17e6601_b.jpg3 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767978622_5b0b29b8a5_b.jpg4 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767858276_26a4de5f41_b.jpg5 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767977557_82d379a55f_b.jpg6 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767982167_fb5f737b3c_b.jpg7 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767981672_269f164484_b.jpg8 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767981272_bef7e077bd_b.jpg9 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50767861061_d12495865b_b.jpg

10 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50783761141_db0414e7a8_b.jpg20201231_175007 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50783867417_d729ef6fd0_b.jpg20201231_175342 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

50783000948_18fe41f03e_b.jpg20201231_175244 by Shimon Bogomolov, on Flickr

Edited by shimon

Nice build! I think you could try replacing the red axles though.

as an helicopter 'afectionados' i was hopping a stunning technic build...and i discover just a perfect designed model!

Well done!

Very nicely done.  You've captured a lot of great detail even at this small (minifig-ish) scale.  Great build!  :classic:

It really is a great looking Model. I like the no-nonsense dbg colorsceme :grin:

My question is: Why post this MOC in the Technic section of EB? There are basically no technic bricks used, and there dont seem to be any functions inside that exeed the complexity of a "powered creator model", if you get what I mean. I would not consider this a technic model.

Edit: I saw that you posted it in the military section first, and I think that was the correct choice, so why move it here? The build style fits perfectly with the other MOCs posted there.

I dont want to be the bad guy gatekeeping, but I wonder if y'all would still call this "technic"...

Edited by Gray Gear

Great looking model!

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

My question is: Why post this MOC in the Technic section of EB? There are basically no technic bricks used, and there dont seem to be any functions inside that exeed the complexity of a "powered creator model", if you get what I mean. I would not consider this a technic model.

Edit: I saw that you posted it in the military section first, and I think that was the correct choice, so why move it here? The build style fits perfectly with the other MOCs posted there.

I dont want to be the bad guy gatekeeping, but I wonder if y'all would still call this "technic"...

The name of the forum is 'Technic and Model Team', not only Technic!

6 minutes ago, Berthil said:

Great looking model!

The name of the forum is 'Technic and Model Team', not only Technic!

Yeah if you want to hard enough it could pass as a Model team. But using this argumentation most creator vehicles would be Model team as well. I still think this would be a better fit for the military section, but meh.

Edited by Gray Gear

@Bluehose @Ivorrr  @steph77 @deraven  @Berthil Thanks! 

@JintaiZ Thanks for the advice! 

@Gray Gear  Well, you do have a point here. 

The thing is that I have two reasons for posting the model on this forum - one is to share it with others and hopefully inspire and the other is to gather feedback in order to know how to improve. 

I did post it in the Military section at first but then noticed that it is mostly for scenes and non-motorized vehicles, and did not get any feedback. 

My style of build mostly combines Technic and System together, adding complex internal mechanisms (Technic interior) and a brick/tile exterior and that was my idea of the term "Model team"

If I am wrong about that and "Model team" is considered as something else then this post can definitely be moved/removed. 

If the model wasn't motorized then it would definitely not belong here in my opinion.

Also, I did post several military vehicles on this section in the past and they all had technic interior and brick exterior and neither got a complaint.

My post did get removed from the Technic fb group, causing me to lose precious feedback.

Edited by shimon

@shimon I can see why you would want to move it here from the military section, because here It'll get more attention. But I cant say I am the biggest fan of that. 

Your MOC being removed from the technic fb groub shows that I am not alone :wink:

If you really do think the model belongs here and there really are complex technic mechanisms inside, why not show them off? Thats probably what most people in this Forum want to see. Maybe I wouldn't have said anything either... :wink:

Edited by Gray Gear

I believe the Model Team theme of the old days was about building highly detailed vehicles with some (but minimal) functionality and if this MOC isn't exactly that, then I don't know what is.

The Creator Expert line today of course creates a slight problem in categorization, as it's not always clear where those kind of MOCs should be posted. Sometimes they don't really have any more functionality than the likes of City vehicles (for example the VW van which doesn't even have steerable wheels) but others are just like the Model Team of the 90's, like the Ford Mustang. Then there's also the Harley-Davidson Fat Boy, which even incorporated fake engine connected to the rear wheel.

I'm not sure but maybe Model Team-style MOCs would be more at home in some other section, like in the Scale Models? Even the contests in this forum often impose limitations where Model Team style of construction is not allowed and correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't happen very often (if at all) that the contests have it the other way around: making a model that's all about brickbuilt exterior detailing, with only minimal functionality - in other words a Model Team contest.

Oh, and great job on the copter, I love the details and how you have captured the shape of the real thing.

@Gray Gear  

You see, take Sariel for example, his style is similar to mine (brick built exterior with technic interior), yet all his models were posted on this forum (including military vehicles) and no one complained about them not being in the right section (you can check).

So if you would have reacted the same to any of his or other members with similar building style posts here then its fine and you can open up a discussion thread on whether or not a model should be posted here and have other people input too. 

And if seeing other "more famous builders" posting same style creations here wouldn't make you think "why is this here?" then it apparently has something to do with my model(s) and its fine actually. 

@howitzer Thanks! 

You are right that nowadays the modern version of model team is something between the creator mustang (minimal technic features) and a 90% technic interior model with brick/tile exterior, maybe a proper definition should be made. 

Personally I would love to see model team style contests that will judge based on number of features, exterior smoothness (accuracy if a replica) and sturdiness. 

@shimon Well, Sariel does show and focus on the technic functions of his models right away, removing all doubts if they belong here. That is the difference between his MOC presentation and yours. That was my point, and nothing else.

Edited by Gray Gear

That is an exceptionally nice model! This is what Model Team could have been to day if it wasn't canceled/reworked to Creator. 

I love the design, but miss seeing more of the technic structure and functions...

_ED_