LEGO Train 12 Volts

Shell Chemical Plant

Hello everyone and happy new year!

In the last few months, inspired by Ymari's Chemical Plant (and disappointed that her project was discarded by Lego), I have done some research on oil refineries and oil refining processes to realize my own chemical plant.

...no doubt about the choice of the brand: Shell forever! :laugh:

chemical-plant-004.jpg

chemical-plant-002.jpg

chemical-plant-003.jpg

How does an oil refinery work?

Crude oil arrives with oil tankers and then stored in large silos, subsequently with the help of a central heating plant, the crude oil is processed inside a distillation column.

chemical-plant-005.jpg

chemical-plant-006.jpg

chemical-plant-008.jpg

Due to the high temperatures crude oil is separated by fractional distillation. The fractions at the top of the fractionating column have lower boiling points than the fractions at the bottom; the large and heavy molecules are at the bottom, the lightest and smallest are at the top.

Basically the refining products are: Heavy Oil, Diesel, Kerosene, Naphtha, Gasoline and Gas.

chemical-plant-009.jpg

chemical-plant-010.jpg

In refinery there are furthermore chemical processes that allow you to optimize refining, as can be deduced from this video from which my plant is replicated! :excited:

These chemical processes are:

1) Cracking: allows you to split Heavy Oil molecules into smaller chains by converting Heavy Oil into lighter more valuable fluids;

chemical-plant-011.jpg

2) Reforming: is a process that allows the transformation of Naphtha into Gasoline by rearranging the Naphtha molecules;

chemical-plant-012.jpg

3) Blending: is a process that improves the quality of gasoline acting on the octane, giving rise to: regular, medium grade and gasoline with high octane number;

chemical-plant-013.jpg

4) Treating: is a process used to produce cleaner gasoline. Gasoline contains impurities such as sulfur which can be removed with a catalyst. The sulfur compound is used as a fertilizer and in pharmaceuticals ...nothing is wasted in a refinery! :wink:

chemical-plant-014.jpg

Now my industrial plants collection is complete and maybe I can arrange a train layout! :grin:

industrial_plants.jpg

See you with my next project! :classic:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Superb rendition of an industrial site. It's not too complex, so it's a very welcome simplification in a layout. I really wish industrial buildings would be more of interest to Lego. Your tanker have a nice 373 feeling!

Excellent refinery MOC and thank you for the explanations behind each segment. It improves the feeling as we now know how the process goes.

Great industrial MOC! And great that you have studied how the oil is processed. Now you need some customers who will use all the oil, e.g. to run diesel train engines or a factory producing plastic stackable bricks with studs ...

Best regards Holger 

Really well done, a very nice rendering.

Let me wish you a great 2021 too, not only better than 2020 it would bee too easy.. :-)

Sergio  and eros

Everything looks sooooo nice and sweet!

I also want to create such MOCs, but I never know where to start....

Is this Chemical Plant under Imperial control?

chemical-plant-008.jpg

3 hours ago, HoMa said:

Now you need some customers who will use all the oil, e.g. to run diesel train engines

Best regards Holger 

I'm working on that precise project ...stay tuned! :wink:

3 hours ago, monai said:

Let me wish you a great 2021 too, not only better than 2020 it would bee too easy.. :-)

Sergio  and eros

Thanks for the kind word ...I wish you the best Sergio & Eros :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

Is this Chemical Plant under Imperial control?

You got me! :vader:

...and if you look closely the gas storage are two Hoth planets cleaned up! :laugh:

Amazing work, there is so much going on in the build, literally an eye catcher.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:59 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

...and if you look closely the gas storage are two Hoth planets cleaned up! :laugh:

Once isn't good enough for you, you have to wipe out the planet twice? The empire only wiped out planets once. (grin)

PS, and thank you for the very educational tour of the plant

very good..i love to see the place where i work in lego! happy new year... after you have to made the reactor where the gas is change in Pet

Very nice!  It brings back memories of my chemistry exams aged 16....  I also remember being so disappointed when Yvonne's project did not get through, and that none of her other amazing projects even reached 10k!  But like many, you have brought her project to life brilliantly - I think that there were many disappointments when that was not approved.  Congratulations on a great MOC!

4 hours ago, Gioppa said:

very good..i love to see the place where i work in lego! happy new year... after you have to made the reactor where the gas is change in Pet

Wow! You work at a Shell too. Small world. 

That is phenomenal.  It strikes that perfect balance between highly detailed yet still playable.  I really wish Lego would do more industrial builds.  I remember being 10 years old, this would have been my dream town and train set.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:24 PM, zephyr1934 said:

The empire only wiped out planets once. (grin)

Apparently crude oil wipe out planets better then death star! :devil::laugh:

On 1/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, kieran said:

Fantastic, so many details 

Thanks! :thumbup:

On 1/1/2021 at 12:01 PM, Gioppa said:

very good..i love to see the place where i work in lego!

Are you working for an oil company? :excited:

On 1/1/2021 at 3:56 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Very nice! I also remember being so disappointed when Yvonne's project did not get through, even reached 10k!

In fact, and I promised that day that I would build my refinery anyway. I don't understand why Lego doesn't focus on well-made industrial plants instead of commemorative sets. :sceptic:

On 1/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, Brandon Pea said:

You work at a Shell too.

Thanks for the comment ...I've just one question: why do you have the Octan logo instead of the Shell one in your avatar?

On 1/1/2021 at 5:37 PM, JintaiZ said:

The details are fantastic.

Thanks for the kind comment! :classic:

On 1/1/2021 at 9:29 PM, Lord Insanity said:

That is phenomenal.  It strikes that perfect balance between highly detailed yet still playable.

I agree, I like to take care of both the technical aspects and the playability ... which in the end is what matters! :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Thanks for the comment ...I've just one question: why do you have the Octan logo instead of the Shell one in your avatar?

I'm a fan of the brand.  I have every Octan set from City. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

On 12/30/2020 at 8:44 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Easy task... :grin:

chemical-plant-001.jpg

Where did you get stickers for the shell wagons ? Is it possible to buy such ? I'm very interested ; -) 

6 minutes ago, moustic said:

Where did you get stickers for the shell wagons ? Is it possible to buy such ? I'm very interested ; -) 

I may be wrong, but I think these are from ministickers.nl - who certainly stock Shell stickers even if these aren't them....