DrJB

Bugatti Chiron Skin - Some LDD 'Violations'

I'm sure all on here have seen the Lego documentary on how they built the Chiron (link below, near 2:00). Especially, when they mentioned that given the Chiron has no straight lines, and they had to develop special 'flex' triangular elements to replicate the body's various curved panels. I tried to reproduce/build one of such flex triangular elements but to no avail. That is, there are many issues with the design, that LDD won't allow. This includes collisions between parts and parts not connected totally 'firmly'. Is it safe to assume that TLG themselves did not follow their own design/assembly requirements? 

Has anyone been able to reverse such construction, and do that in LDD?? The flex/modular element is essentially an articulated triangle, made up of multiple lift-arms and connectors, and the flex articulations are made with the small 2L rubber connector.

18 minutes ago, DrJB said:

Is it safe to assume that TLG themselves did not follow their own design/assembly requirements? 

It isn’t a retail set, and they used parts that aren’t available in proper colors as well as using real tires. I think omitting of design requirements is a pretty safe assumption.

29 minutes ago, DrJB said:

If the masters break the rules ... what should the masses do?

You can do with bricks anything you like. Really there are no rules of using them. They are abs plastic beams you can connect, glue, cut, bend etc. Most of people use them to build toys. Masses can do whatever they like. 

I've built small and big "triangles" (the are actually hexagons) with real bricks and can confirm some elements are under stress due to slight misalignment in geometry and collisions.

03qG0.jpg

2pmhW.jpg

Edited by zux

3 hours ago, DrJB said:

If the masters break the rules ... what should the masses do?

Perhaps you are projecting a bit here?  I see neither TLG builders as masters nor me a follower or subject (the connection I believe you are trying to make between a master and his/her subject). 

They build toys and try to get folks to buy them using marketing ploys if they have to.  Marketing ploys in virtually all walks of business are known to bend the truth a bit. So to me this is no big deal nor news.  

If Lego sells sets to consumers with stressed parts that may fail, they may end up with massive costs replacing parts and a bad image for selling faulty products. 

If they build a model with stressed parts for promotional purposes- who cares? They only need it to stay together to shoot some video of it.

It seems only @zux got the jest of my point, and thank you for building the triangles/hexagons. Your findings/observations are exactly what the topic is about. The many collisions and the fact that the center triangular connector is not fully engaged ... for example. For those who find this topic not worthy of their time, save your efforts/saliva and move on.

@mahjqa    ... good point. If anything at all, my point and yours lead to this conclusion: If you can build it, that does not necessarily mean you can sell it. TLG builders/engineers/qc have to look carefully at all designs and ensure no parts are stressed, and the set will not fall apart in a short time.

Edited by DrJB