tvdv

8043 moving very slow after a few years of storage

Hi, I put fresh batteries in my 8043 which has been sitting (build) in a closed cabinet for several years (4?), but it hardly moves and lifting goes very slow.

All the gears and controls are working and doing what they should do, it's just that it's struggling very hard to move, rotate or lift.

I'm 100% sure that it moved fine when I last build it and stored it. (I took care in not tightening things when building it)

I'm using relatively new, and fully charged, Amazon Basics rechargeable NiMH batteries.

I sort of remember that the small motors can loose power over the years, or did I imagine that?

Any tips are welcome :)

Thanks,

Edited by tvdv
type

The plastic parts can't corrode, so unless somehow gears got misaligned and pushed tight, the problem is in the electronics.

If it's slow on all functions, then it's probably not the motors or the IR receivers either, as it seems unlikely all your motors and both receivers would degrade together at a similar rate.

Could there be corrosion anywhere in the battery box which would reduce the voltage to the IR receivers? This would seem most likely if it were put away still with batteries in it, all those years ago.

Do you have a multimeter? Check the voltage on each battery. Maybe one is low or gone bad , can still happen with brand new batteries.  You might also want to try some full-fat disposable batteries too

Edited by amorti

Hi, thanks for your quick reply.

The battery box was empty when I stored it - and all the contacts are clean.

It is slow and struggling on all (6) functions.

I'll get my multimeter and buy a pack of regular batteries to see if that helps.

Measured the rechargeable's - all ~ 1.30v (without load), in total nearly 8v out of the battery box - which is good for rechargeable's, as they are rated 1.2v

Also bought a pack of (high quality) regulars (1,65v per batttery, 10v out of the box) - improved it somewhat but not the speed and strength I remembered.

Also, when in 'driving' mode, rotating the body in one direction was smoother than in the other direction which doesn't make sense to me.

It also happens when I do it while lifting the body, so there is less load. Not sure what to make of that, as changing rotation direction of the body is only changing the voltage potential and uses the same gear path - so friction can't be part of the equation ??  :shrug_confused:

In ma case it was enough that just one battery was drained...but sometimes motors are funny because similar problem I have with Xl motor from my 42030 set; it wasn't use for few years...and then it started to perform (drive the front end loader) very slow...when I bought new XL motor in summer it was like when I assembled 42030 for the first time in August 2014... unusual... Looking forward to see what caused your problem...

Could it be dust within gears?

Maybe the grease within the planetary reductions has gone bad? Seems unlikely, but if it's not the batteries then I'm struggling for answers.

You can put your meter across the outputs on the battery box to see what voltage is actually getting out of that and into the toy. It's two contacts diagonally opposite each other, I think. Could still be corrosion on the power switch or something similar.

Hi I_Igor

Don't think dust is an issue as it has been standing in a closed closet ( and it still looks shiny and brand new ).

I guess I have to take it apart and re-assemble. 

Hi Amorti 

I measured the voltage on the battery box and it was fine (8v with rechargables, and 10v with brand new regulars). I can try to see if I can measure it under load.

I hope that you'll share your experience after rebuilding it...

Looking forward to know the problem too, my youngest motor is more than 6 years and all of them work perfect, but I am using them continuosly on my MOCs.

I keep my flagship Technic models assembled as I like to play with them and 8043 is no exception. I built it in 2011 originally and after a few years I experienced the same slow moving. It was in a closed cabinet so dust cannot caused the problem. I disassembled and then assembled it two times over the years but performance did not get really better (never performed as new) and of course I always tried it with totally new batteries. Some said it can be ABS dust or ageing and small deforming of gears because of huge strain in this model. But the worst case is if the PF M-motors wears out over time (it is very likely) as replacing them will be a real headache after discontinuation.

So looking forward to your findings and solution.

Edited by Interceptor

I have moved several times and had to store sets in less than optimal conditions.  I have not yet had any noticeable changes to motor performance.  Battery boxes often have corrosion on them... but I see looking through your responses this is not the case with you.  

I would also recommend taking apart and reassembling... hopefully this fixes your issue...

I am taking it apart (almost done) and will start re-assembly.

When taking it apart I noticed the large black/grey rotating disc underneath the body (how do you call that thing?) does rotate freely, but not super smooth.

Should this part have grease in it?

Should? No.

Can? Yes. Silicon grease, without mineral oil and choose carefully, as even some silicon spraycan propellants eat ABS.

For what it's worth - under load the voltage from the rechargeable's dropped from 7,9V to 7,7V - which sounds normal to me.

55 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I suppose this turntable

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=48452cx1&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

It contains of 2 parts but no grease inside; you can easily took it apart a.d clean it

Thanks - I took it apart and cleaned it with a dry cloth and now it spins freely - so that will surely help. ( there was no obvious dirt or wear however )  I’ll finish the rebuild in the next days and will post the results.

Sometimes it's the dust that piles up everywhere. I'd disassemble the whole set, have the parts soak in dish detergent, wash and dry, reassemble, and should be as good as new. That set is so rewarding to put together, especially the boom/arm. Careful though, the LA and motors should stay away from water.

Are the connection points for the batteries corroded from old batteries leaking? If there is a bad contact point it's possible to have low power from the motors.

I can’t shed any light on what’s happening with yours but mine had been in it’s box on a shelf since it was dismantled some 6 years ago. I rebuilt it earlier this year and it had no problems. However I did ditch the PF battery box and used a BuWizz unit. 

3 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

Are the connection points for the batteries corroded from old batteries leaking? If there is a bad contact point it's possible to have low power from the motors.

Hi - the contacts are fine.

I finished the rebuild and it performed much much better. I was very carefull to ensure all axes and gears could rotate smoothly. I made some mistakes during the build which required me to redo about 20 pages which was a bit frustrating and I wasn't as carefull after that, so I guess it could have even been smoother - also if I would have thoroughly cleaned all parts.
But for me it's sufficient to say it was not a motor or electrical problem.

Thanks for all the help!

@tvdv, the rebuild of a model is the equivalent to "Did you try to turn it off and on again" in the IT. Glad it worked out!