Sign in to follow this  
Lord James

[LEGO Ideas] Crown Dominion Fortress

Hi all. My project is finally live. Since I wanted to challenge myself and incorporate all manner of crazy angles into a structure, I set out to solve the "bastion fort problem." I call the result Crown Dominion Fortress, a legendary citadel where many a battle over wigs is won or lost. I'd be happy to take your feedback on this project and discuss further below.

If you want to see this become an official set, please support and share the link below with all your mates. Many thanks!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/4579400b-a126-447b-9840-b9b15074a47c/statistics#content_nav_tabs

SUPPORT NOW

webpwebp

webpwebp

webpwebp

webpwebp

SUPPORT NOW

Very cool! Love the minifig designs (magistrate wig! imperial admiral tweak! white/greencoats!) and angled layout of the fort.

What is the largish brown structure in the middle? A crane? Ballista?

Would be pretty fun to introduce whitecoats / greencoats as new official figs.

2 hours ago, Lord James said:

If you want to see this become an official set, please support and share the link below with all your mates. Many thanks! 

Let's get you a nice big red support button...

SUPPORT NOW

Epic fortress my man!

I've looked at this for five hours minutes and I can't figure out how the angles work. Care to elaborate?

MAC

39 minutes ago, iammac said:

Epic fortress my man!

I've looked at this for five hours minutes and I can't figure out how the angles work. Care to elaborate?

MAC

Looks like maybe plates on top of tiles for the corners? The plates have a single stud of connection on the lower section between corners?

15 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Ok, this is absolutely fantastic! :cannon::pir-love:

What kind of technique is this for the walls? I don't think I have seen it before.

Thanks! the bastion walls and curtain walls are made of 1x1 and 1x2 tiles on top of near-vertical plates, supported by hinges. The corners of the bastions use simple "Slope 75" peices as they're called on Bricklink. The only outer walls that are vertical rather than sloped are the short indented walls (not sure the technical term) between each bastion wall and curtain wall. Since it's vertical, it allows me to use a 171-degree angle, so the bastion walls are angled slightly toward the curtain walls (as proper bastion fort design requires) without there being an unsightly gap as is often the case when trying to replicate angular structures in Lego form.

5 hours ago, iammac said:

Epic fortress my man!

MAC

I appreciate it! The overlapping bluish gray plates also helped me visually integrate the structure. For a clearer view of how these large sections line up, here's the bottom of it:

Crown Dominion Fortress

On the Lego Ideas page, I also embedded a video of me building the whole fort in Studio 2.0 (actually deleting each element, but in reverse). That should answer your questions.Crown Dominion Fortress (LEGO® Ideas project) - YouTube

20 hours ago, evancelt said:

Very cool! Love the minifig designs (magistrate wig! imperial admiral tweak! white/greencoats!) and angled layout of the fort.

What is the largish brown structure in the middle? A crane? Ballista?

Would be pretty fun to introduce whitecoats / greencoats as new official figs.

Thank you! It's a crane because, of course, every large Soldiers' base needs to have one. I'm not skilled enough to add a string digitally, but that's okay.

Wow what a build! Really love this one! I do not know but it seems to be really big... :pir-oh: is there any connection between the segments? Lego often uses technic pins for that... I even could imagine the set only consits of one or two wall parts but there are the instructions for all parts so if you buy more than one of it you can build the whole star shape. That could help to keep the size and costs of the potential set down...

I wish you all the best an will support it! :thumbup:

You should rework this to "Copy" St Augustine fortress... (its already pretty close) Only reason why i say this is it would give you two points of attack on the front of getting produced. One they could use it for pirates theme, and one they could use if "architecture" theme...etc. 

I mean its already pretty close especially in the angles and the corners, so i wasn't sure how much it would take to "modify it" to add that element in. 

Otherwise it looks great and i would buy it!

Castillo de San Marcos - Wikipedia

Edited by natesroom

7 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

This one could do very good in the frontpage. 

Right you are - I did make a call for the frontpage a few weeks back but I don't think it was answered.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:46 PM, Mister Phes said:

Posted it on Instagram and it's received almost 1,000 likes in around half a day.

Click to view on Instagram

It now has almost 2000 likes, but that didn't have equivalent effect on LEGO Ideas votes for the project. :pirate-sad

Maybe cause in Instagram the link for going to the voting page is not clickable?

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

3 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Maybe cause in Instagram the link for going to the voting page is not clickable?

Unfortunately that may be the case.  It's a shame people are too lazy to type http://bit.ly.legoideasfortress into their web browser to vote.

But we have indeed crossed the 2K like mark:

image.png

18 minutes ago, Sam Sinister said:

Its just I'm not a big fan of Pirates.

But you can still help the project.

4 hours ago, Sam Sinister said:

Its just I'm not a big fan of Pirates.

You don't need to be a fan of an entire theme to support a submission. If like a submission then support it regardless of what the theme may be.