Sign in to follow this  
syclone

[TC19] JAWA 210 moped

Good day, here on is my attempt for TC19. 
My grandad used to own a Jawa 210 , which according to my mum used to be a headache to everyone as it was notorious to break and finding replacement parts was hard by itself, nevermind doing so in post-soviet 90s. In fact, my only memory of it (early 00s) is it being inside our flat, never to be taken out again. Reference photo of one resembling closely my grandad's moped (I'll see if there are any photos I can post of )

1984-Jawa-210-dark-grey.jpg

After some web surfing I was able to find a service manual that pictured the moped:

jawa210blueprint.png
Unfortunately it is drawn under a slight perspective, so the dimensions taken from it are approximate, nevertheless I plan on using 94'2mm tires, mostly as I don't have any other motorcycle tyres (and paying 10€+ for two wheels is outrageous) . Therefore the wheelbase (?) will be of 27 studs (accounting for centre axles in wheels). based off that I threw together a size rig to ease my work, and so far assembled part of the front fork, though I'm looking into replacing it with the standard shocks if this solution doesn't end up holding up (as of right now the ribbed hose is extremely difficult to compress, and taking out the springs of the 6'5L shocks isn't an option for TC) The lower part of the handlebars should start at the enf of the vertical 15L on the rig according to my scaling. 

dsc_0274.jpg

dsc_0275.jpg

I will try to update with some more progress (probably front fork or will start a bit of engine) within short amount of time. Though I have absolutely no idea what do do with the mudguards, though so far I think that making them out of SYSTEM will be the best solution.

Edited by syclone

I'm glad someone picked a moped to build for this contest. It's a nice addition to the choppers and speed bikes.

Flex axles would work really well for the fenders. I rarely use them in my builds, but they look like the ideal solution here. 

I have never seen a moped from Java. I can only remember motorcycles from my childhood fromm the early 2000s. 

Good to see Jawa in this contest! Moped definitely is a challenging original model, so I really look forward to see your MOC grow. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone, will definitely try out the flexaxles idea!

Yesterday had a bit more of progress, replaced the ribbed hose shocks with the standard bike ones. Engine is simple 1cyl, and 210 was available in either a single-speed or a 2 speed automatic, so far I've not come with a small enough 2 speed. Currently working on a ratchet-type pedal kickstart/reserve power (I think I have a solid idea that should work). Also had built a fueltank, but the angles didn't match, so off to the drawing board again. Will be looking to replace the front "brakes" with supports for the mudguards

dsc_0276.jpgdsc_0277.jpgdsc_0279.jpg

Edit: added ratchet for pedals

Edited by syclone

Not much, but still progress for me :laugh: 

Pedals work, maybe it is put together a tad flimsy, but since the engine sits quite well will implement some sort of a 2-speed transmission instead of the 24t gears, not sure about the automatic though.

Made a version 1 of the front wheelarch, already have an improvement in mind (not sure if it'll work as expected though)

dsc_0300.jpgdsc_0301.jpg

Edited by syclone

Late yesterday made a front mudguard I'm quite happy about, no mechanical progress

dsc_0302.jpgdsc_0303.jpgdsc_0304.jpg

This reminds me of the “Batavus Go-Go” I had as a teenager. It was a fetching shade of aubergine. 

The front end you have built looks great already.
Do you plan to make the pedals disengage from the drive when the engine is running? 

On 12/29/2020 at 12:14 AM, BrickBuildingFox said:

Looks quite like the original. Very cool!

Thanks!

On 12/29/2020 at 11:18 AM, MinusAndy said:

This reminds me of the “Batavus Go-Go” I had as a teenager. It was a fetching shade of aubergine. 

The front end you have built looks great already.
Do you plan to make the pedals disengage from the drive when the engine is running? 

Thanks! The pedals disengage from the drive line through a ratchet (video of it working below, as of right now the DBG axle is the output to engine), and so far it seems to be quite reliable, will see how it is when I (hopefully) add a gearbox :sweet: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aP3r84hwXA

Wasn't able to do much lately, but here's some progress up to date:

The angle between the front fork and the chassis was a bit complex, but I managed to pull it off (comparison against the blueprint and mounted on the fork below) - gotta love the rigid hoses for funky angles. I've strated to work on some ideas for the gearbox, though it'd have to be a manual,  maybe I'll be able to make the throttle handle work as the switch for it. Though I'd have to work out the chassis first so as to make it strong enough. 

dsc_0311.jpg

dsc_0312.jpg

Thanks, though I've taken that solution from the Vespa posted in the discussion thread :laugh:

Here's some more progress, I've joined the front and back finally, made a fuel tank (needs filing of holes with SYSTEM slopes). Gearbox will be a challenge, but I'll see what can be done. Steering fork fixation point is quite sloppy as well (3/4 pin is the pivot), so plenty of work, though that's for 2021 already (^0^)ノ

dsc_0313.jpg

dsc_0314.jpg

Good progress, and looking pretty good. As you have already said, adding a gearbox will be a challenge as there is basically no space. But I think this MOC is fine without one as well.

Edited by Gray Gear

Looks like you've managed to capture this really accurately, pretty much perfectly scaled. It's so cool to see some working pedals too. 

It doesn't look like there's much space to work with, but it's amazing what you've managed to fit in so far. :thumbup: 

On 12/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, Gray Gear said:

Good progress, and looking pretty good. As you have already said, adding a gearbox will be a challenge as there is basically no space. But I think this MOC is fine without one as well.

Thank you very much, indeed space is tight, but I'll keep trying :sweet:

8 hours ago, Dazzzy said:

Looks like you've managed to capture this really accurately, pretty much perfectly scaled. It's so cool to see some working pedals too. 

It doesn't look like there's much space to work with, but it's amazing what you've managed to fit in so far. :thumbup: 

Thanks! I was really hoping it look to scale as the blueprint from the manual was a bit askew, glad it seems to work out! :blush:

Today progressed a little more (while binge-watching series accumulated for the last months :laugh:), elevated the rear part by a stud, added a seat placeholder and made up a rear mudguard. Also fixed the floppy front fork by replacing the 3/4 pin by an old 2L pin (the ones with thick walls that are hard to pull out) and adding a second 5L half-beam with cross-axle holes on the ends. This reduced the suspension travel by 0'5 studs, but I regained them by moving the front mudguard the same distance downwards. Unfortunately the light-bley 5L axles now stick out, but I believe it is a manor visual inconvenience overall, and functionality-wise it was a good decision. Some pictures below, I really need to take some in daylight :look:

dsc_0324.jpg

dsc_0327.jpg

dsc_0328.jpg

dsc_0333.jpg

dsc_0330.jpg

dsc_0326.jpg

Here's a reference of the real one:

$_86.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

P.S. might move the handles higher after watching these photos

Edit: Also realised there are 2 separate chains for pedals and motor that I didn't see somehow :wall:

Edited by syclone

It looks really good. :thumbup:   Shame about noticing the extra chain after progressing so far with it though, but i'm sure there must be a way of fixing it.