First of all Merry Xmas and in second place for me every MOC over 1000 pieces it is big but just in my case, because I like to use the less pieces I can. Leaving aside the part of choice and scalling of the MOC I am referring to the first steps with pieces. I usually go to the small part to the whole but I try to change it because I think it could be better to do the opposite, I know it from ages because in drawing is the same and I still start my drawings from the eyes... I just want to know how do you start your MOCs?, from the outside, inside, difficult mechanisms, easy parts, wheels I do not know just tell me... and we will see if my thread title remains intact :wink: .

Form tires (diameter and appropriate tread pattern), then I see what I can squeeze between them. That is why I spent an eternity to make proper MOC :laugh:

15 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Form tires (diameter and appropriate tread pattern)

Dito.

I split the model in different assemblies, e.g. main frame, cabin, axle, ... and mostly work on them in a parallel manner. When I stuck on one assambly, I switch to another to gain momentum again :D

8 minutes ago, Jundis said:

When I stuck on one assambly, I switch to another to gain momentum again :D

...or on other project / MOC :wink:

(And then there is always something in between... :innocent2:)

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

...or on other project / MOC :wink:

(And then there is always something in between... :innocent2:)

I try to do it to but not always work...

20 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I know and sometimes when I do something else ideas pop up and then I go to my notebook (classics notebook) to sketch idea and test it when possible ... Like you can see in my tread that I had to make small changes to incorporate servo below boom...

Edited by I_Igor
Autocorrect issue...

@I_Igor I often end up with sketches in my work note books for how to solve Lego model builds.

I’ve still got at least 3 (very) long term Lego MOCs on the go.

2 minutes ago, Seasider said:

@I_Igor I often end up with sketches in my work note books for how to solve Lego model builds.

I’ve still got at least 3 (very) long term Lego MOCs on the go.

Well on my work I do not even mention LEGO, but sometimes I got and idea and sketch it when I finish a job (in a car after I leave work; of course i pull over to make a sketch...)

Since I have very sensitive eyes (due my previous jobs) I keep doing things in classic way as much as possible...

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

I know and sometimes when I do something else ideas pop up and then I go to my notebook (chassis notebook) to sketch idea and test it when possible ... Like you can see in my tread that I had to make small change to incorporate boom

...and I have some 5 MOCs in my head...

My usual procedure is to start with the most complicated components first. Since I usually build cars, this means a gearbox and axles. Once these are done, I generally attach the gearbox to an axle, begin hooking up the rest of the drivetrain, and build some sort of frame between the axles. From there I flesh out the frame and add the rest of the purely mechanical functions. This is followed by the interior (Which is usually a bore for me), and then the exterior, with any functions relating to the body (lifting spoilers, opening hoods, opening doors, etc.) fitting in around this time.

When I build a bigger MOC I also split it in several parts. Since I usually build cars as well, I do the same as @2GodBDGlory and start with the complicated components like gearboxes and axles. When the first iteration of those is done I connect them in correct scale and start building a frame around them. But here is where I take a different route. I always build multiple versions of anything when building a MOC, and for the frame I also build one without any mechanisms in it to make sure it is as rigid as can be on its own. From that empty frame I then start to refine the mechanism components to fit the frame.  Simultaneously I also start building bodywork so I can set my outside hardpoints and make dure my mechanisms are not too large. Once I have a satisfying outer shell draft, I try fitting it to the frame, changing that as needed to accommodate the connections.

And then I switch to building digital because I don't want to build a 5th/6th etc. version of the frame...:grin: I usually have a table full of discarded builds and sections laying around...

37 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

I usually have a table full of discarded builds and sections laying around...

Very interesting part I have done a lot of versions of what I have done that would be very helpful for other MOCs but they only are in my mind or some pics.

I tend to get obsessed with either a mechanism or part of a vehicle. Then scale to wheels, or a specific feature.

Then I sketch it out on a big bit of card, based on sizes from Sariels model scaler. 
I like to sketch it together out of whatever bits then I improve one side at a time until I realise my mechanism is deeply flawed, tear down, repeat. One side at a time works well for me. 

My larger builds generally follow this process:

1) I get an idea of what I'd like to build and research all the functions.

2) I write down all the functions, and if the number of functions exceed what can be done with PF (or now PU), I decide if I need to add a gearbox for additional functions.

3) If a gearbox is needed, I do a rough sketch of the gearbox design and try to group gearbox outputs/functions in the most logical/playable way possible (for example, my backhoe had all excavator arm functions running off the same side of gearbox).

4) I decide on the scale to use.  This is usually based off of the number of functions, space needed, and tire size.

5) I might do a rough sketch of motor placement and how I want to run the functions with least amount of gears and friction.

6) The build process usually starts with the axles or gearbox.

7) I typically have multiple parts of a MOC being built at once, and I jump back and forth.  I find that if I get stuck on how to solve an issue, I can go to another part of a build, and then come back to my issue I'm stuck with and have a fresh, new approach.  

8) Once I have all the mechanical bits completed, I focus on the aesthetics and building the body and interior.

That's pretty much my process.  I usually have bits and pieces of several MOCs in progress laying around.  Right now my main focus is on my PF/pneumatic CAT Road Grader, but I have probably at least another six projects laying around in early stages of design.

I used to always start with the front axle. But the last MOC I made I started with the chassis rails, and the MOC before that I started with the body work! 

If we talk about technic, then it has to have some functions, so ill tell myself, OK drive with diffs, what kind of/how many axles, which hub, then wheelbase is set, and on top of it i am figuring out placement of motors and batteries, and then detail on top of a detail. so i am always starting with chassis, Axles and carrying frame. 

I often start by picking wheels and calculating the size, and deciding which wheels would give a size that's large enough to let it do what I want, but not much larger. Then I want to decide on the functions. And then, it's often axles -> gearbox -> chassis. Then, if I want motorization, find where the eletric parts will fit.

Bodywork is mostly saved for last, which is probably why I often run into issues there...

There is also a "grander order" where the order is, roughly

• just start a first physical test build in any way
  • try things and get a sense of where the challenges are
  • digitize the model-in-progress in MLCad
  • try to improve the bottlenecks digitally
  • using the digital build to redo the physical build

and from there it's a rather see-as-I-go going-back-and-forth between the digital and physical build. There's not really a fixed order.

I always start with designing main features, like axles, suspension, subtractor etc. But as others here, the frame of the MOC is not so rigid as it should be. So starting from actual MOC I am working on, I do my best to prepare rigid frame for the whole construction.

I usually build cars, so the scale has to be ca. 1:8 so all my cars can look nice together :grin:

First I look at the car's body and try to prototype any parts that I think will be hard or even impossible. Especially headlights (sometimes taillights too) are really tough to get right. If I fail to get things right in this early stage, I scrap the project alltogether. My opinion: If the "eyes" of the car look off, there is no point in continuing the project.

The transmission side of things I have developed a 6 speed manual Gearbox design that proved very versatile, It can even can be adapted for either AWD or now even 4 wheel steering. That means I just adapt a good design for the current build instead of starting from scratch every time.

After that I build the front axle and rear axle/transmission unit and join them with the center tunnel. 

For the bodywork I usually start with the front bumper and work my way towards the back.

The chassis reinforcements and the rollcage are done always here&there somewhere along the way, I have no fixed order here.

Edited by Gray Gear