Rubblemaker

[MOC] Midi Scale Razor Crest

For about a year now I’ve been trying to create my own Razor Crest. Each time I’ve never really gotten much further than the curved front section. However I realised that not establishing the scale I would build at in the first place has been the main problem. So for this one I settled on midi scale. This proved to be the key and I was then faced with the question: how much detail and proportional accuracy can be achieved at this scale? So after much studying of the ship itself I tried to include as many of the major design elements of it as I could, starting with opening doors on the side and back. A crucial part was to make sure the engines were the right scale to the ship body as the official set failed magnificently at this. Luckily the VTOL moc I made prior to this had rotor engines that were exactly to scale so I just needed to re-create them, with some minor alterations for the different connection methods.

I stopped looking at Razor Crest Mocs (… except maybe Jeracs) a few weeks ago so that I wouldn’t be influenced by others parts usage but I accept other RC moc builders may have come to the same conclusions I did whilst building. But for the scale, I think it came out ok. It’s the first Star Wars ship I’ve created since my Nebulon-B in January. All year I’ve just been creating stuff from my own head so it was nice to actually have an existing design to try and replicate. Thanks to Ron McPhatty for his usage of the curved corner pieces on his official set mod, I remembered them towards the end of the build and as it happened they were the perfect size for my engines.

Anyway, as ever, for anyone interested the full album can be found on my Flickr page here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164260086@N06/albums/72157717495442728

MOC - Midi Scale Razor Crest

Edited by Rubblemaker

Looks really good.  For some reason my favorite part is the wedge plates on the wings, connected with what I assume is a mixel joint?  Gives it some interesting shaping that's hard to achieve at this scale.  When you mentioned you were using those new round pieces for the engines on my TIE Fighter post I was a bit confused since the Razor Crest is gigantic compared to a TIE Fighter, but it makes total sense for midi scale.

1 hour ago, DarthMario said:

Looks really good.  For some reason my favorite part is the wedge plates on the wings, connected with what I assume is a mixel joint?  Gives it some interesting shaping that's hard to achieve at this scale.  When you mentioned you were using those new round pieces for the engines on my TIE Fighter post I was a bit confused since the Razor Crest is gigantic compared to a TIE Fighter, but it makes total sense for midi scale.

Thanks dude :) Ugh, those wedge plates. Just breathe on them and they fall off. They’re connected with a 1x1 handle to a 1x1 clip. Mixels would have been a good idea if there was room but at this scale space is tight everywhere :(

Actually your point about the round pieces you used on your Tie is interesting when you consider that they fit the engines of the official Razor Crest set perfectly too, it shows how out of scale some official sets can be. 

Looking forward to seeing your Razor Crest one day!