Sign in to follow this  
Sariel

The most powerful AA batteries: ALK vs Ni-Mh vs Ni-Zn

I have recently got my hands on Ni-Zn batteries, which can be considered a compromise between standard alkaline batteries and the Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries. Long story short, they can be recharged and still offer a LOT of power. I was able to get 10 KM/H out of my modded 42124 with Ni-Zn batteries compared to 7 KM/H with standard alkaline Duracell batteries. More details:

Interesting video; did you try to test batteries with PF motors?

Probably since L and XL motors are practically the same with different suit...

Awesome. Gladly I can buy them in the country I am living currently. Now I need only to wait for Buggy to be released.

PS. out of topic, did you think to change the gearing as now you have more power? Do you think it may work on this batteries?

I have ruined a PF IR receiver by powering it from a 9.6V hobby battery. Is there any chance that these Ni-Zn ones, also at 9.6V, would also cause damage to receivers?

50 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I have ruined a PF IR receiver by powering it from a 9.6V hobby battery. Is there any chance that these Ni-Zn ones, also at 9.6V, would also cause damage to receivers?

Have been using Ni-Zn for several years, no problems so far, even from stalling Xl motors

1 hour ago, blondasek said:

PS. out of topic, did you think to change the gearing as now you have more power? Do you think it may work on this batteries?

Yeah, I suppose with Ni-Zn batteries there may be some leftover power to try a very slightly higher gearing. I'm not going to test that though, I'm focusing on using these batteries with the LEGO rc buggy motors.

I've been using NiZn for over a year and the only gripe I have is that out of 24 batteries, 14 of the are still usable after 1 year time..  depending on the brand, (some are really bad) some batteries will stop holding a charge after 6 months time..  There are some tricks to revive them in the Youtube webpage..  My understanding with the Powered Up and Gen 1 IR receiver have a 10.1 volts limitation but with my experience with the higher voltage didn't affect performance or harmed my Lego electronics. Use them with caution.!!

5 minutes ago, cammellostanco said:

Just installed NiZn batteries on 42099, WOW, what a difference compared to NiMh.

Let's see if the hold many recharge cycles and also let's hope I do not overstress the motors.

No worries, most Lego motors are 12V ones, so technically they are overengineered for 9V.

On 23/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, Sariel said:

Ni-Zn batteries

Hello, how do you think they would be against lithium AA accumulators ?