Sign in to follow this  
Rudivdk

[TC19] 'Snake' custom chopper

So a motorbike contest... I usually build cars, but last time I went out of my comfort zone it turned out pretty well (TC15...). So let's give this one a try.

I had recently dismantled my Sian, and the (new) parts are still fresh in my memory. Somehow, I feel the curved fender parts would work well on a motorbike, so I started building from there. Hmm... big low wide rear fender, that just screams OCC custom chopper all over. So I threw some more parts together and this is what I got after about 15mins:

800x600.jpg

I don't know where I'll end up exactly, but I like it sofar and stick with this for now.

I'm always open for tips, ideas, critics, so shoot...

Edited by Rudivdk

I'm playing in my mind with a crazy concept around the 'snake' theme, I just finished a WIP version of the first little step towards that.

Adjustable ride height:

Worked on the bike some more, managed to squeeze a sequential 4-speed gearbox with rotary catch in, located under the seat and rear spring mounting point. Can't remember who's gearbox design it was, I think @Didumos69 came up with (something like) this:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

It's gonna be quite tricky to get it all properly braced, add the stepper and shifting pedal, route the drive towards the engine and keep the total width acceptable, but it looks doable...

First (very WIP, very rough!!) impression of overall shape and 'special' function:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I was inspired by all the ninjago stuff from my kids. Those ninjas have all kinds of crazy vehicles that can change their shape depending on operating mode, I wanted to do a similar thing. So I'm aiming for a low chopper/caferacer type of bike, that can transform towards more of an enduro type machine. Combined with the snake thing the low stance will be depicting a fast moving snake, the high stance an attacking snake with opened mouth, fangs exposed, neck widened (like a cobra) etc.

Dunno if I can pull it all off, but it's a nice challenge...

I've been working a bit on the panelling and created something resembling a snake head with opened mouth and extended tongue:

800x600.jpg

Added a long tail too:

800x600.jpg

Lovely looking bike! Reminds me of this set from Racers line, great use of Sian wheelarches :thumbup:

Thanx all!

Will be shifting my focus to the core chassis and sequential stepper mechanism for now, and I still need an engine too...

Thanks to some help from @steph77 I now have a very compact and seemingly reliable stepper mechanism/shift pedal, with a 4<->1 block:

800x600.jpg

This is super cool. Very creative idea!! I like the smaller snakes in the handlebars too.

8 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Thanks to some help from @steph77 I now have a very compact and seemingly reliable stepper mechanism/shift pedal, with a 4<->1 block:

You're welcome.

May i suggest you to remove the external pulleys?

The reason is: the summ of the widths  of all the parts can produce a little stress on parts that will have bad consequences on the system's movement, replace them by half bushes and make sure that the two remaining pulleys are not too tight on the pushrods.

S.

17 minutes ago, steph77 said:

May i suggest you to remove the external pulleys?

Thanx, I'll do that! In the current setup everything works smooth, but I guess when the gearbox/shifter is attached, every little bit matters...

This is really cool man.  It's like i'm watching a biker build off between OCC and another cool custom bike shop, (Fox bike entry). :classic:  Both are awesomely themed and well integrated into the design. Both equally unique and cool. :thumbup:

Wow, a month has already past since my last post... 

Well, there is little time left in the contest so I did a long building session tonight. Got most things done, at least the important parts are finished.

800x600.jpg

Functions sofar:

• Front and rear suspension
  • Chain drive on rear wheel
  • 4-speed gearbox
  • sequential stepper pedal
  • V6 longitudinal engine
  • Kick stand

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I've also added some extra functionality beyond the standard stuff:

• Rear adjustable ride height 
  • Adjustable 'tail' linked to ride height adjustment

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

What I still want to do is make some flaps on the 'neck' section of the snake and link them to the ride height adjustment control, so they will expand when the hide is adjusted (like a cobra in 'attack mode'). A WIP flap is in the above picture, and some control links are added but not connected yet.

Wow, I am a big fan of those trans-clear cylinders... brings the 4845 Formular 1 car to my mind, which was the first "large" technic set I got. They fit very well with the lime color :thumbup:

2 hours ago, BrickBuildingFox said:

Wow, I am a big fan of those trans-clear cylinders... brings the 4845 Formular 1 car to my mind, which was the first "large" technic set I got. They fit very well with the lime color :thumbup:

Thanx!

I actually have quite a lot of those transclear engine blocks from a number of different sets. They are my first pick nowadays, without even really thinking about it... What I like most about them is that you can see the crankshaft turning and cylinders moving inside from all sides. With these parts it doesn't really matter how you build your engine or chassis, the 'technic' part of it always stays visible.

Eureka!

I got it all working during the afternoon, now it's just some polishing and finishing touches and it's done!