evancelt

[GOC-FB-COR] Naval Intelligence Office in Port Woodhouse

In response to the war now declared with Oleon, the Corrington Admiralty has opened a primary Naval Intelligence Office in Port Woodhouse. Naval Intelligence officers are responsible for manning Corlander naval communication structures, inventing new means for inter-ship communication, developing written ciphers, and maintaining networks of undercover operatives.

Their new presence in Port Woodhouse signals the focus given to technological advancement within the Corlander armed forces. The recent introduction of optical telegraph relay stations across the Brick Seas has greatly aided quick communication between ships and settlements.

Lieutenant Keeling (right tower) is experimenting with a new flag-based semaphore method where individual flags represent letters. He signals down to the larger seaside mast-based semaphore tower and later will ride down to see how well the crew took down his message.

naval-intelligence-office-1.jpg

Intelligence Captain Hunter meets with visiting Post-Captain Seward and explains the newest ciphers his crew will need to communicate written orders securely.

naval-intelligence-office-2.jpg

-------------------------

@Ayrlego's Port Woodhouse builds are stunning and are what originally drew me to BotBs. I wanted to try one out! Making the tile pattern around the fountain was pretty fun.

Submitted for license to Corrington as part of Glory of Corrington Task 11: Strategic Outposts

Edited by evancelt

Beautiful! I especially like the fountain with the stone slabs all around.:pir-love:

Fantastic work! This is a great representation of the Port Woodhouse style and I absolutely love it!!!!

Points that stand out for me are of course the fountain. The use of the curved tiles to make the cobblestone pattern is beautiful; and I think very fitting for a courtyard in this style of building. I also like the inclusion of the black wrought iron gates - I will have to borrow that look for future PW builds myself! The semaphore flags are nicely done, especially the combination of the white an green to make the diagonally split one. All up great work and I can't really find anything to suggest for improvement! :thumbup: for GoC from me. 

Oh and also  frontpaged.png.4a13f48d1e3919e6470642d10a08871d.png

What an excellent build! Ayrlego's Port Woodhouse style is very recognizable. Lots of nice details all around, what a gorgeous MOC to look at. The fountain is a really nice touch that adds some extra contrasting color to the build.

Great job with this build!  The fountain is striking and eye catching, but the slanted gate is also great and solid flanking buildings on each side.

Really nicely done!  The layout is fantastic, and I'll echo the others on the fountain and stone courtyard :wub:  Great job with the Port Woodhouse style too, and I can't miss mentioning those ground colors - excellent work all around!

Thanks all! Was a fun one to do for sure

30 minutes ago, Dutch Thriceman said:

Stunning build, I absolutely love it, do you have a Flickr I could follow?

Thanks! I'm not on Flickr, but I'm newly on Instagram, post in various Facebook Pirates Groups, and have a feed here you can follow.

@Ayrlego, @Garmadon, @NOD, @Professor Thaum, @Khorne, @Kai NRG, @JintaiZ - For future builds, anyone have tips on how I could have incorporated trans-clear or trans-blue tiles into the fountain? I have 1x1 squares and rounds, and 1x2 rectangles, and none of them fit into the roundy fountain shape well :pir-grin: I ended up just sticking the bright light blue under the dark tan, which worked OK, but makes the water seem a little rough.

Edited by evancelt

2 hours ago, evancelt said:

@Ayrlego, @Garmadon, @NOD, @Professor Thaum, @Khorne, @Kai NRG, @JintaiZ - For future builds, anyone have tips on how I could have incorporated trans-clear or trans-blue tiles into the fountain? I have 1x1 squares and rounds, and 1x2 rectangles, and none of them fit into the roundy fountain shape well :pir-grin: I ended up just sticking the bright light blue under the dark tan, which worked OK, but makes the water seem a little rough.

Yeah, that's not easy to pull off - I would think you'd have to dig pretty far into the base and SNOT the ground right around/beneath it, then use either cheese or a scattered stud/1x1 tile technique inside to get the edges right.  The way you've got it right now works pretty well though - the pop of color from the direct blue brightens the whole build up really well!

Great build, and really fits the Port Woodhouse style. I really like the gate at a 45 degree angle, and the cobblestone work around the fountain -- not to mention the fountain itself! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, evancelt said:

For future builds, anyone have tips on how I could have incorporated trans-clear or trans-blue tiles into the fountain?

I use loose 1x1 round trans-light blue plates in many of my water builds. Check out this fountain I did a year ago:

3 hours ago, evancelt said:

For future builds, anyone have tips on how I could have incorporated trans-clear or trans-blue tiles into the fountain?

You could probably do a layer of tiles and put the fountain walls on top.  It would be a little tricky not to get any water outside the fountain, but I think with the 1x1 rounds you should be able to do it.

Quite good. I particularly like the individual options for placements - they can even be tufts of grass. It does happen frequently on EB, but yours will be remembered first, since I've come to think about them.

Excellent MOC with great details everywhere!!! :pir-love:

I dare say that such stunning fountain is clearly of Oleander design! :pir-tongue: Are you sure you haven't chosen the wrong faction to join? :pir-grin:

Edited by blackdeathgr

16 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

:thumbup: from me. Gorgeous build. That fountain, and the stonework. Wow, wow, wow. Keep up the great work.

Thanks! Having you go back and review my GoC builds today has been a good chance for me to review my progress as a builder since October. Those earlier builds had worse lighting and many fewer tiles :pir-grin: I like the Ayrlego-style SNOT base in this build and have a few more ideas in the pipeline to expand on its use.

I thought I had already commented on this... apparently not.

That's another beautiful build. :excited: The base is artistic and the style of the buildings is excellent both in design and color. The fountain is the perfect centerpiece; I love the use of those bow bricks with tiled tops and the light blue base is very eye-catching and pretty.

Edit: does anyone know what (glitch?) causes automatic double-posting and merging of a comment? It's like kinda annoying... :pirate-sad

Edited by Captain Dee
Edit: delete double-post