Hello everyone!
I'm very happy to present to you my new MOC - a walking windmill

50747918033_0f700b24b6_b.jpg

The main idea was to use this motor, as it gives a constant flow of torque, without acceleration. Despite being quite weak, it does a pretty good job with a 12:28 gear ratio. It was fortunate that the axle could go right through the motor, allowing the legs and wings to be driven simultaneously

50748660951_32ec2450b1_b.jpg

The previous version of the mill was very large and heavy, which, even in combination with an 8:24 gear ratio, did not allow it to move fast or confidently

Spoiler

50749145166_238397458f_b.jpg

50748404218_353d3a125d_b.jpg

50749144411_224a002329_b.jpg

50749243927_31d72f025a_b.jpg

By reducing the mill scale by almost half, I was able to find a balance between weight and speed. Pullback motor can be winded up both with the gear from the bottom and with the round handle on the left under the "door"

50748758097_0e4379f340_b.jpg

I used pistons as the feet because when moving, one or the other middle leg turns out to be slightly lower than the other two, which at that moment have contact with the ground, and a "skew" occurs. Due to the fact that the pistons are attached to the legs with hinges, they allow you to always lean on the entire "foot" at once.
Bonus - the mill is very funny waddling from side to side when walking :pir-laugh:

50748658046_f8c54bd3f2_b.jpg

It was a very fun and  satisfying build, I love adding some steampunk details, even though the mill itself looks quite medieval (and even a little gothic) :pir-blush:

50747919383_ffdbc53862_b.jpg

50748659736_52ec21d62d_b.jpg

More photos

Hope you like it! Feel free to leave comments below!

Update: Free instructions available!

Note that this is a slightly different version, using more affordable colors, details, and an added detachable handle for easier charging.

50769015233_4e7bcc6b8f_b.jpg

Edited by SilenWin

Of course, the highlight of it is the function. Having that said, I think it delivers in both looks and functions. Well done!

Very interesting and unusual model!

I wonder which type of motor you used. The link in the text seems to be wrong.

Thank you, @JintaiZ

16 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Very interesting and unusual model!

I wonder which type of motor you used. The link in the text seems to be wrong.

Thanks! My bad, there was a mistake.

I used this one:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=42073c02

This motor appears in a few sets like Racers, HP and hockey but, AFAIK, it can be replaced by this one:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=42073c01

Second motor appears in soccer and basketball sets.

I like it, the little windmill is very cute!

And it is moving so smooth...

How far can it travel on a single charge?The video made it seem like not a lot, because the clips were quite short. But even if it isn't much, thats just the nature of any walking wind up toy. Well done!

37 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

How far can it travel on a single charge?The video made it seem like not a lot, because the clips were quite short. But even if it isn't much, thats just the nature of any walking wind up toy. Well done!

About 7-10 seconds on a single charge. All clips in the video were cut at the moment of the motor stalls :)

I love it! Something totally different and fun. Not too large or complex either, but still definitely Technic. I didn't know about that motor btw. but now I do!

Not much to say other than what has been shared already other than I love the model and thxs for sharing on this forum.  New ideas such as this one are certainly welcome and a breath of fresh air.  

I love it! :thumbup:

Those wind up motors are slower than the standard technic pull backs then? I haven't come across them before. 

Who said Trchnic can't be cute. A beautiful little construction. Many years ago I had endless fun with the wind-up motor, wore it out.

I love this built!

So sad i Don't have this micro motor Under the hand...

The Walking realization is 'clock'precision and it comes out some sort of poesy from your design.

Hat off!

S.

Very nice build! As others have said, refreshing and fun. The use of pistons is inspired and fits the style of the build perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

@howitzer, @Milan, @nerdsforprez, @zweihander, @hollielucas, @steph77, @proran - thank you for kind words, friends! I'm really glad to know that you enjoyed it!

6 hours ago, Oliver 79 said:

I love it! :thumbup:

Those wind up motors are slower than the standard technic pull backs then? I haven't come across them before. 

Yes, they are much weaker and slower than regular ones. But for building a walker, a constant (albeit small) speed is an advantage.

In this test video, you can see the speed of the main motor output (double round rotating brick on the top)

Another rotating brown brick (single) is the wind-up input, which is also rotating, but with lower speed and greater torque.

9 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Lovely creations! 

Have you considered using two windup motors in line for the bigger mill? 

Thanks. That's great idea, but second motor will cause additional bracing, and so weight will grow before we add some decorations like windmill. Maybe we can get about 10-15% more power when adding another motor, but height of the "chassis" will be too high :pir_wacko:

That is one seriously bonkers creation.  I love it!  It makes a change from Cars, Trucks, Loaders and the other offerings.  Totally well finished with a novel use of the pistons for feet.  Great use of the motor too!

I like this model much. Maybe I will try to build something like this too but I am not sure that current Technic pullback motor is suitable for such mechanisms. Have you tried to use it?

After seeing this little moving gem I could not resist and had to build it. Fortunately, I found the wind-up motor in my supplies (from an old Harry Potter set). I have built the walking base and gave it to my 3y-old grand-daughter. She liked it very much and called it the Little Spider.

littlespider1-small.jpg

Thank you for the inspiration of a nice little Christmas toy!

@trekman, @Mr Ogel - thank you!

On 12/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, Tomik said:

I like this model much. Maybe I will try to build something like this too but I am not sure that current Technic pullback motor is suitable for such mechanisms. Have you tried to use it?

No, I didn't, but I think it has too much acceleration on start for this type of mechanisms :pir-look:

15 hours ago, Jonas said:

After seeing this little moving gem I could not resist and had to build it. Fortunately, I found the wind-up motor in my supplies (from an old Harry Potter set). I have built the walking base and gave it to my 3y-old grand-daughter. She liked it very much and called it the Little Spider.

littlespider1-small.jpg

Thank you for the inspiration of a nice little Christmas toy!

Wow! Such a cute little thing! I'm very glad I inspired you, great build!

Good news: I made a free instruction and it is published on Rebrickable.

Have fun! Happy Holidays!

Nice instructions! Next "year" I will build my own special version.

I also need to get one of the motors.  When I look at the sets including them I know why I don't have it - all the sets were not on my wishlists.