8 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Are we absolutely sure it’s Columbia?

We are pretty much 99% sure now...

20 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Stonewars.de says that it not have a rocket booster,

Interesting, but in that case it makes it odd that they specifically chosen Columbia. Ok, it was the first shuttle flown, but I can't see the model being that restrictive. Surely there will be extra stickers so you can customise the orbiter to any of the five flown?

If it's an accurate model of Columbia, you'd need a lot more than extra stickers to make it into a different Orbiter. Columbia had substantially different patterns of light and dark tiles on the heat shield, and later an instrument pod at the top of the tail fin.

I’ve just seen rumours that this may come with Hubble. If that’s true the Shuttle needs to be Discovery, also Hubble was an April launch.

But generally I could do with a shuttle model as I don’t have one yet. Hope it’s not huge

With current info I imagine that it will be something as a modern release of "Space Shuttle Discovey" 7470

I have the luck to own both this old set and the Shuttle expedition 10231 

I am affraid that the latter and the  kingsknightbrick's design are at scale with the loved Saturn V , but the 7470 Discovey is sensibly bigger so not to scale with the rocket.

Edited by bitbamboo

I really like the idea of including the Hubble Space Telescope! It adds a lot more to the authenticity.

I also think the decision to make it Discovery was a last minute decision since the Columbia idea received many complaints...

30 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I really like the idea of including the Hubble Space Telescope! It adds a lot more to the authenticity.

I also think the decision to make it Discovery was a last minute decision since the Columbia idea received many complaints...

Whatever version it ends up being, I doubt any public outcry had anything to do with it.  Set was likely finalized long before anybody in the public got wind of it.  I imagine friends and family of the Columbia and Challenger crews might not mind have minded an additional tribute to their memory; even in toy form.

Discovery with Hubble Space Telescope seems like a perfect timing. 

First Space Shuttle launch was in April 40 years ago.

Hubble was launched with Space Shuttle Discovery in April 1990. Not an anniversary, but I think that the telescope is about to be retired this year. (at least that is what the Swedish Wikipedia pages says)

1 hour ago, Friscorays said:

Whatever version it ends up being, I doubt any public outcry had anything to do with it.  Set was likely finalized long before anybody in the public got wind of it.  I imagine friends and family of the Columbia and Challenger crews might not mind have minded an additional tribute to their memory; even in toy form.

The two Space Shuttles look very similar so all the designers have to change are the stickers and/or prints...

Will be interesting to see how it looks.

Mosse1997, Hubble might be used for more years, even when James Webb Space Telescope is active.

Interesting change to Discovery though honestly can't say I'm surprised by the change if it is one.  I'll change the title if needed tomorrow when it's revealed........

I honostly feel Columbia wouldn’t be controversial. I mean, we already had many Space Shuttle models in the past, after two Shuttles had fatal accidents, they just didn’t put a name on it. I believe this set should be an hommage to the positive things the Shuttles have brought us. I hope LEGO has made printed pieces or stickers so you can decide yourself what Shuttle you are putting on display. Model wise the Shuttles were almost identical. 

We also had many sets with the Empire State Building, a building that has seen many suicides and even a plane crash into it. But that doesn’t mean the building is known for that. It’s an architectual landmark, just as all five Shuttles are historic technical achievements. Or what about the Vestas wind turbine. A similar Vestas model catched fire in the Netherlands in 2013 and two young mechanics who were stuck on top of the turbine died.

Ofcourse it isn’t entirely the same, but if you want to find controversy, you can always find it. I feel Columbia and Challenger shouldn’t just be remembered for their fatal accidents, and I don’t see why a hommage would be hurtful to anyone. There is no need to erase history here, you want to educate children/people, not pretending the world is all rainbows and sunshine.

16 hours ago, Brick Clicker said:

Looks like the offical reveal is tommorow so not long for pics...

Niiiicccceeee.....

What time GMT can we expect them to appear?

10 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

I imagine 10:00 EST. Most reveals are at that time.

So 3pm U.K. time, 4pm Central Europe time

At the moment 10EST would be 14 UK time and 15CET, due to USA on Daylight saving time and Europe still on Standard time. But then again, that depends on where they do that reveal too?

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

At the moment 10EST would be 14 UK time and 15CET, due to USA on Daylight saving time and Europe still on Standard time. But then again, that depends on where they do that reveal too?

Virginia where Discovery is now kept in a museum? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_F._Udvar-Hazy_Center

Mmmh, perhaps it will be later today, then. There isn't a scheduled livestream or event for the reveal, is there?

I have no clue on how or when they do these reveals.

Would have been nice to see Discovery IRL.