For those who care (or just want to continue ranting about the Ulysses Space Probe Debacle ) I resurrected the "New VIP System" thread over in the GENERAL DISCUSSION section.

Perhaps we could redirect complaints/ commiserations/ suggestions regarding the poor handling of this reward kit rollout to over there and let this thread get back to the more specific focus of the space shuttle kit itself.  Personally, I'm very interested in both discussions, I just think we've gotten a bit off topic here and (in the unlikely event that someone from TLG is browsing the forums) I think we should make our opinions about the Ulysses "reward" and the VIP system itself easier to find.

Speaking of getting back on topic, I liked the Discovery Space Shuttle so much I've decided to pick up another one.  It's an enjoyable (and occasionally clever) build; nice display model, slid enough to be swooshable; articulated enough to hold my 5 year olds' interest; and a good parts pack to boot.  Definitely a winner in my book.

Got mine on the first day (wasn't a pleasant experience with the TLG site, though pales in comparison to the Ulysses probe fracas) - waiting for Steindrucker to come up with the custom prints before cracking it open.  Probably will invest in a display case when it comes out too.  I am really looking forward to building the HST - it looks great (the "bent" look of improperly aligned solar panels is so realistic) - too bad about that "mirror" but there is only so much they can do.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:18 PM, Shiva said:

Or build the Shuttle scale Ulysses, from the Bricks in Space facebook group.

That sounds like a good second option.  I’ll have to hunt that group down.

Here are instructions for the one Lego made: https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ulysses-space-probe-building-instructions/

Direct link to the instructions: https://uploads.brickset.com/instructions/6373604.pdf

As far as I can see the only unique thing in this set is the big sticker with information about the Ulysses. So you can easily order the needed parts from Bricklink.

2 hours ago, Lira_Bricks said:

......As far as I can see the only unique thing in this set is the big sticker with information about the Ulysses. So you can easily order the needed parts from Bricklink.

Printed piece.  

20 hours ago, CDM said:

Has anyone retrofitted the Shuttle to utilize a hanger used in the Batwing? I think this would be a pretty successful MOD and I'm kinda surprised the designers haven't used it here.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=67139&idColor=11#T=C&C=11

I was really surprised at that as well. Seems like a perfect set for that. 

Not an obvious or easy mod to retrofit into the undercarriage from what I can see. Would require drilling out two studs on the bottom plate to attach that 5-wide Technic piece externally via pins. The Batwing had it built internally under the cockpit and is of course a much flatter and symmetrical design, so easier to hang.

Edited by Lucarex

11 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Not an obvious or easy mod to retrofit into the undercarriage from what I can see. Would require drilling out two studs on the bottom plate to attach that 5-wide Technic piece externally via pins. The Batwing had it built internally under the cockpit and is of course a much flatter and symmetrical design, so easier to hang.

I haven't built my shuttle yet but I assumed it would be somewhat tricky and would require extra parts. I may Bricklink one to have when I build to play around. But you're right, the 5-wide aspect makes things a little more complicated.

I have a question.

The box for Discovery is 58.2 x 48 x 9.1 cm, right? Info taken from Bricklink. "23x19x4 inches"

The box coming to me, according to postal service is 80 x 59 x 35 cm, weight  4,9 kg. "31 1⁄2 x 23 x 14inches.

Weight might be correct, but the rest?!

Edited by Shiva

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

I have a question.

The box for Discovery is 58.2 x 48 x 9.1 cm, right? Info taken from Bricklink. "23x19x4 inches"

The box coming to me, according to postal service is 80 x 59 x 35 cm, weight  4,9 kg. "31 1⁄2 x 23 x 14inches.

Weight might be correct, but the rest?!

Yeah, sounds right based on what I got. It was stuffed with some airpaks and both Shuttle and Ulysses boxes were in good condition.

Holy yikes! Thank you for the information CDM. I think I'll have to ask my dad to help me get it home. This time a bike will be a no. Didn't do home delivery this time. Maybe I should have.

20 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Holy yikes! Thank you for the information CDM. I think I'll have to ask my dad to help me get it home. This time a bike will be a no. Didn't do home delivery this time. Maybe I should have.

I still have the shipping box in the recycling for next week...confirmed the dims: 26 x 19 x 7" so it's a little bit smaller than what your tracking has noted. So either they used a larger box or the shipping service put a larger size in the computer to pump the shipping rate.

Edited by CDM

I'll try to remember to write the measured size, when it arrives next week.

/edit:

Monday: Packet picked up, size was as I previously wrote. Shipping box went after a very short car trip, straight to recycling. I did not deflate the soft plastic package material, when I put it into the plastic recycling container.

Edited by Shiva

Moving this thread along a bit, are there any MODs that owners have made to improve the shuttle.  

I am still building it, and am tempted to not place the ‘Discovery’ name stickers at an angle, as the originals are parallel to the fuselage.  I’m also looking if the small gaps in the wings underneath can be filled using a black cheese wedge somehow, like the upper surface is.

I’m also going to look at getting other payloads if i can find out more about what Discovery carried.

23 hours ago, Shiva said:

There are mods on https://www.facebook.com/groups/legospacebuilds/ . I tried to find 1 where they modify how the mid hinges look, but I can't find it.There is more mods.

Ok, I found it. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10100172786209769&set=pcb.1010098302728754 scroll those photos for the mid hinge mod.

Thanks for this.  Was one of the odd things that i wondered about improving.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:21 PM, jus1973 said:

Thanks for this.  Was one of the odd things that i wondered about improving.

It’s a standout FLAW, is what it is! Really enjoyed the build but that middle hinge was sloppy.

Edited by Lucarex

Did the mid-hinge mod swapout last night. So elegant and simple giving the perfect seamless look. It does beg the question who signed off on the original? Bad day at the office whoever.

Hey, everyone. I don't know if I'm misremembering things, but did someone make a modification to the display stand to have the shuttle tilted sideways? I'm looking for it online but am only finding MODs and MOCs for rocket boosters and straight vertical stands...

On 4/12/2021 at 12:52 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

On a slight tangent, years ago I was working for a government think tank and we'd spec'ed out a subsystem that needed to fit in a very tight spot in an existing airframe.  I can't go into details but basically we needed a company to build a device to do X and it had to fit in a well defined space, only consume so much power and only give off so much heat.  Several of our preferred vendors looked at our RFP (request for proposals) and told us it couldn't be done - or doing it would be so expensive it wouldn't be profitable - one vendor, however, said "Sure, no problem" and won the contract.  Eighteen months of sloppy oversight go by and it comes time for the vendor to test the prototype in the field, so we show up with the airframe (and it's empty slot for the module), and the contractor shows up with a moving van on the tarmac asking us where our forklift is so they can offload the device.  After a few minutes of confused stares and occasional blinks of disbelief we ask why he needs a forklift.

The vendor reminded us that there was no weight requirement in the spec, only size limits.  To this we countered that even if the device were a solid block of plutonium it could only weigh in at a few kilos.  At which point the vender told us we were crazy and opened the truck to reveal a pallet full of equipment that wouldn't fit in the cockpit if you dumped it in the pilot's seat let alone the open slot in the nosecone.

With a multi-million dollar contract on the line, naturally this resulted in an unprofessional shouting match where everyone whipped out copies of the spec and the contract to "prove" their point of view.  In a matter of moments everyone was on the same page which clearly stated the available space was "8mm x 21mm x 57mm".  The head of the contractor's team, a vice-president with the firm, poked at the book and proudly announced "See, 8 metric meters by 21 metric meters by 57 metric meters!  We're fully compliant with room to spare!"  

At which point we had to explain to him that "mm" stood for "millimeter" not "metric meter" and that the plane itself wasn't even 57 meters long (and how could an entire division of Fortune 500 defense contractor not notice that over the course of a year and half's effort?) .  So much for the US education system...

Omigosh. I know this is a late response, but that story is both appalling and hilarious, and thanks so much for sharing it.

:wacko: :laugh:

I've done several mods to this set including designing and fitting a replacement wedge-brick & Technic element tail fin rudder that is much improved over the standard 'wedge-plate' built tail fin.

More information, free instructions and the inventory of parts required for the mods can be found here:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-92504/Simon Lenz/space-shuttle-discovery-fixes/#details

Video here: 

Edited by lenzie