Can confirm there is no Ulysses set in US VIP rewards. The coin is live for 1150 points and has been since 6 or 7 pm eastern time. Server was super wonky and took several refreshes in order to load. I even saw a queue screen for a bit followed by several Emmett 404s.

wow 30 minutes of loading, refreshing, error messages, etc. Finally went through. I have has easier times for UCS sets!

Yeah no probe :(

I wonder if Lego will release it anytime soon. Does anyone know if there is any exclusive parts on the promo? Or can we build our own from bricklink? 

Also I just ordered my shuttle! I am really excited for it! Now debating if I should use my vip points to get the space coin real quick because there is no probe.

Brick Fanatics has posted that Lego has officially reported a delay in probe availability.  I'll hold off on ordering the shuttle until the probe becomes available.

5 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Brick Fanatics has posted that Lego has officially reported a delay in probe availability.  I'll hold off on ordering the shuttle until the probe becomes available.

Risky. By the time the (seriously meh) probe is ready, the Shuttle might be backordered for a while.

6 hours ago, Friscorays said:

In US, currently no sign of probe:  Rocket Ride and Carrot House show up as GWPs though.

That’s annoying 😒. Didn’t show up in Europe S@Hs and I really wanted to pick up the Rocket Ride last year. 

6 hours ago, azog said:

Now debating if I should use my vip points to get the space coin real quick because there is no probe.

The space coin sold out in less than an hour.

I'm in no rush to get the set and would like to have the probe even though it could obviously be better.  It sure seems counterproductive for Lego sales to announce a promotion for the set only to determine that they can't actually deliver it at the moment.  I'm sure I am not the only one that would have purchased a copy or two that is now holding off on the purchase until the GWP is actually available.

15 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Risky. By the time the (seriously meh) probe is ready, the Shuttle might be backordered for a while.

And you'll have 60 days to redeem it...with the Shuttle or without.

12 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Did you add in the Ulysses probe?  If so, how does the redemption process work??

By the way, Lego Space coin is now available in the VIP rewards section for those that might be interested......

Probe has been delayed so I just ordered the shuttle on its own, puzzled by the lack of poster too as not seen any mention of that being delayed and the Lego CS rep I spoke too didn’t have any info on it either.

Anyone else kinda disappointed at the use of 18+ box art for this set? It's the first time I'm really disappointed by the box. The Saturn V absolutely knocked it out of the park with its box art, and the ISS and Lunar Lander were also quite nice, but I really would've appreciated something more than just boring old black. Some blue Earth in the background would've really been nice, or something with that same retro 20th century space concept art energy that the Saturn V box had. Really seems like a missed opportunity :look:

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Anyone else kinda disappointed at the use of 18+ box art for this set? It's the first time I'm really disappointed by the box. The Saturn V absolutely knocked it out of the park with its box art, and the ISS and Lunar Lander were also quite nice, but I really would've appreciated something more than just boring old black. Some blue Earth in the background would've really been nice, or something with that same retro 20th century space concept art energy that the Saturn V box had. Really seems like a missed opportunity :look:

Agreed. 

The whole reasoning behind the black box art is so that adults feel less embarrassed to buy LEGO sets. It makes sense for sets like Sesame Street, where a bunch of people would feel silly or get made fun of for buying a $100+ set that would have been marked 6+.

Now with the Space Shuttle, it could have used better art for sure, but maybe there will be those people who see a colorful box as a childish toy... It's too bad. I hope that in a few years LEGO limits how many sets they use the black box for. Some sets would really look even better with a nice, realistic background like they did before with Creator Expert.

55 minutes ago, NickLafreniere said:

Now with the Space Shuttle, it could have used better art for sure, but maybe there will be those people who see a colorful box as a childish toy... It's too bad.

But the Saturn V sold like absolute bonkers, to the point that they re-released it. I think this is just their marketing department being dense as usual

Edited by Bartybum

26 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

But the Saturn V sold like absolute bonkers, to the point that they re-released it. I think this is just their marketing department being dense as usual

For all the reasons why Saturn V sold, and continues to sell, I can't imagine box art would be very high on the list.

9 minutes ago, CDM said:

For all the reasons why Saturn V sold, and continues to sell, I can't imagine box art would be very high on the list.

True that. I think only sets that may seem childish, like Sesame Street or Winnie The Pooh, benefit from the black box as it classes it up and makes it a mature collectible.

Almost everything else benefits from having box art with a background instead.

The only sets that benefit from the black box are Architecture, and sculptures like the Star Wars helmets.

Yeah, I see your point with certain sets like Sesame and Winnie the Pooh and I don't necessarily disagree. Something we gotta remember, shortly before this art change, Lego surveyed adult existing and potential customers regarding their products. They asked about interest and buying habits as adults and the confidence when buying what most consider a toy for themselves. The current box art concept is the direct result of that feedback, as is the 18+ / Adults Welcome branding. So while we, as existing AFOLs, don't particularly care for the black box art, Lego isn't as concerned with us. They're trying to attract new adult customers and make new AFOLs. For anyone to dismiss that as dense marketing is naive.

I don't prefer the black box art but ultimately it doesn't matter that much to me...I don't display or save the boxes.

Edited by CDM

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Yeah, I see your point with certain sets like Sesame and Winnie the Pooh and I don't necessarily disagree. Something we gotta remember, shortly before this art change, Lego surveyed adult existing and potential customers regarding their products. They asked about interest and buying habits as adults and the confidence when buying what most consider a toy for themselves. The current box art concept is the direct result of that feedback, as is the 18+ / Adults Welcome branding. So while we, as existing AFOLs, don't particularly care for the black box art, Lego isn't as concerned with us. They're trying to attract new adult customers and make new AFOLs. For anyone to dismiss that as dense marketing is naive.

I don't prefer the black box art but ultimately it doesn't matter that much to me...I don't display or save the boxes.

Same here, the boxes aren't a huge deal to me as well. 

I think that if the environmental background gives some more context on the box, such as an underwater background for a submarine set, that may help sell the set to people seeing it on the shelf for the first time.

But with the black boxes, the adults buying it already know what it is they are buying.

With the NASA Saturn V, I think that box should never be a plain box and should be as visual as possible as this set is the first set some adult LEGO fans have ever bought.

9 hours ago, CDM said:

For all the reasons the Saturn V sold, and continues to sell, can't imagine box art would be very high on the list.

Well yes that’s what I’m saying, so this one could’ve had better box art like the recent NASA sets.

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Well yes that’s what I’m saying, so this one could’ve had better box art like the recent NASA sets.

Get some Wite-Out and put stars on it then?

9 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Why the hostility?

Apologies for the hostility.

The box art, much like the sticker-vs-print debate, is a tired subject. You didn't read what I typed and instead replied as if it somehow confirmed your bias. It did not. Saturn V sells because it's an excellent model at a fantastic price point. It got great reviews and the word-of-mouth has been very positive. Box art had nothing to do with it. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised they didn't reissue it in the black box art although surely a cost analysis played a large role in that.

It's fair to have differing opinions, in fact my opinion of the black box art is probably very similar to yours. However, they're trying to attract new customers this approach is what the data told them to do.

8 hours ago, CDM said:

You didn't read what I typed and instead replied as if it somehow confirmed your bias.

? No I definitely did read what you said my dude lol. My second reply was saying that because the box art has little to do with the set’s selling, they could’ve gone and created a space themed one despite it being 18+, and not worry about it impacting the sales.

In any case it doesn’t matter, my only point is that the box sucks megablocks and poopoo TLG because they squandered the chance to create a beautiful piece of design artwork

I will definitely be picking up this Shuttle set, but being new to Lego I have a question.

There is a lot of stickers in this set, is there not a need to wash the lego pieces that will receive stickers with soapy water or rubbing alcohol prior to applying the stickers? If yes what method are you using?

I thought it was common knowledge that when placing stickers or painting etc on pretty much anything plastic that it be cleaned to remove any residual manufacturing oils/chemicals that may be present, and need to be cleaned off for maximum adhesion. I’ve seen countless videos on Lego sets and nobody mentions this, nor do they show it?

Edited by MickG