I like the set a lot now that it's revealed, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the huge parts used for the cargo bay doors.  I bet they're going to show up in Technic as body panels, but if not they're an overly specialized part for something that could be brick built without much difficulty (if at a very high parts count).  I was going to save all my VIP points for a discount on the Sián this summer, but maybe I'll end up using some to get the exclusive Ulysses probe instead.

58 minutes ago, icm said:

maybe I'll end up using some to get the exclusive Ulysses probe instead.

Is this an upcoming set? I've never heard of it before.

Peter

It's mentioned in the press release for 10283 as something you can get for 1800 VIP points. Who knows how many copies they made or how quickly it'll still out.

Interesting! It's not mentioned on LEGO's product page. Do you know how that will work? Will it show when I place my order on the 1st?

Peter

1 hour ago, icm said:

I like the set a lot now that it's revealed, but I must say I'm a bit disappointed by the huge parts used for the cargo bay doors.  I bet they're going to show up in Technic as body panels, but if not they're an overly specialized part for something that could be brick built without much difficulty (if at a very high parts count).  I was going to save all my VIP points for a discount on the Sián this summer, but maybe I'll end up using some to get the exclusive Ulysses probe instead.

I don't think they could be brick-built that easily, not without taking up more of the interior space than they do (and loading the telescope into the body of the shuttle seems to be one of the main features of the set). Large curved shapes like that can be hard to build, especially if you want them to be thin, rigid, and sturdy.

I expect these'll still see a fair amount of use in the future. If parts as specialized as the cement mixer halves have been able to be used in themes like Atlantis and Ninjago, then a part like this will be even more useful.

I’m very impressed with this indeed!!

I’ll definitely be picking it up when I have the money....

I’ll edit the topic name now.

Edited by Vilhelm22

We'll, that's definitely a purchase.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of semi-chromed pieces used on the Hubble telescope, and at more than 50cm in length, the shuttle itself is quite large!

For those who might be wondering. Just the shuttle, nose to tail:

Shuttle Expedition / Adventure , set 10231 / 10213 = 35 cm  Very similar to kingsknightbrick's awesome MOC, aprox. scale 1:110

Space Shuttle Discovery, set 7470 = 41 cm

This monster = 55,5 cm aprox. (source Promobricks) so the scale is 1:70 aprox

Just being completist, the old Technic Shuttle set 8480 is 69cm 

Edited by bitbamboo

As a predominantly Technic builder I’m not sure about the cargo bay doors being a Technic piece. Ok the hinge is obviously a Technic pin but the other end obviously has a row of studs on the outside and antistuds on the inside so I think this is more likely to be used in future system models rather than Technic

I think personally I would have liked something in the Saturn-V scale that included the booster rockets and the tank. Not sure if I dig this set enough to justify the space... Will try to take a look at a completed model, hopefully at a Lego store, hopefully soon!

Guys, care to share the picture where they show all the NASA models together? Been looking for it hard, but couldn’t find it :(

4 hours ago, thunderl said:

Guys, care to share the picture where they show all the NASA models together? Been looking for it hard, but couldn’t find it :(

466388533_2021-03-238_57_38.thumb.png.476e5d3b33d22fa8a870e8731c7bb4ce.png 

5 hours ago, The Shuttlefan said:

It's looking better and better. There's a new quarter-circle brick in white, and a bunch of pieces in metallic silver. The instructions are still using the black background, though. :hmpf_bad:

A white background will make the instructions even harder to read since the set itself already contains a lot of white bricks. TLG has updated many of their other instruction manuals but I think the black feels appropriate here.

11 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

A white background will make the instructions even harder to read since the set itself already contains a lot of white bricks.

Oh, definitely, but I was hoping for something like a nice pastel blue.

17 hours ago, Shiva said:

So, this model depicts STS-31 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-31.

But, it could as well depict the following service missions by Discovery. STS-82 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-82 or STS-103 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-103.

This is only partially true because Discovery received some visible modifications between those missions. Between STS-31 and STS-82 Discovery got the new external airlock to dock with space stations, which is of course missing in the cargo bay in the set. If you look at the picture in the Wikipedia article of STS-82, the external airlock is the circularly shaped object in the lower part of the picture. And between STS-82 and STS-103 Discovery got the new NASA logo on the left wing and the US flag moved from the left wing to the right wing, which is why the outer appearance also doesn't fit anymore at this point.

Edited by DrAlex

I like the set, and I wouldn't mind owning it, but it is quite expensive and it isn't as great value as the Saturn V, so I will not be getting it any time soon.

My biggest gripe with the set is how they represented the side hatch on the left side of the orbiter:

LEGO-Creator-Expert-10283-NASA-Space-Shu

LEGO only used a white 2x2 round tile with hole... Very primitive. A 2x2 square tile with a sticker that looks like the real hatch would have made this sooo much better.

2015-08-10%20CSC%20Endeavor%2019.jpg

To me, the side hatch is one of the shuttle's most distinct details and they only represented it with one white piece, when the hatch itself is surrounded by a black circle.

The new printed windscreen is pretty good, I guess it couldn't have been printed any better than that. Aside from that, I am happy with the shaping of everything else in the set, including the cargo bay doors/hinges.

It also kinda sucks that the "Discovery" sticker is diagonal, but I guess the designers also couldn't do much in that situation, and it's better to have it than not.

This beast is $270 and the GWP isn't even free... yikes. I will pass on it for now. I like it, but don't need it.

6 hours ago, DrAlex said:

This is only partially true because Discovery received some visible modifications between those missions. Between STS-31 and STS-82 Discovery got the new external airlock to dock with space stations, which is of course missing in the cargo bay in the set. If you look at the picture in the Wikipedia article of STS-82, the external airlock is the circularly shaped object in the lower part of the picture. And between STS-82 and STS-103 Discovery got the new NASA logo on the left wing and the US flag moved from the left wing to the right wing, which is why the outer appearance also doesn't fit anymore at this point.

Well, a very good starting point for modders atleast. :)

On 3/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, icm said:

It's mentioned in the press release for 10283 as something you can get for 1800 VIP points. Who knows how many copies they made or how quickly it'll still out.

I'm really anxious to see what the Ulysses probe looks like as it'll probably determine how quickly I'm grabbing the shuttle set. I'm hoping the set is the full payload and not just the probe itself.

Edit: I've been banking points and haven't used any since the change to the new format. Will the VIP transaction be separate from a lego.com purchase? I hope they limit to one set per account...if not, the resale scumbags will be all over these.

Edited by CDM

1800 points only represents about $15 of spending, so I'm not expecting too much from it. It will still be cool though. I'm hoping it's tied to the Shuttle purchase.

Peter

5 hours ago, CDM said:

I'm really anxious to see what the Ulysses probe looks like as it'll probably determine how quickly I'm grabbing the shuttle set. I'm hoping the set is the full payload and not just the probe itself.

Edit: I've been banking points and haven't used any since the change to the new format. Will the VIP transaction be separate from a lego.com purchase? I hope they limit to one set per account...if not, the resale scumbags will be all over these.

Lately most things have been limit 1 per account so I'm thinking this will be the same.