Sign in to follow this  
JLiu15

[WIP] Red Beryl T (Trophy Truck)

Another RC motor MOC I am working on. This time the RC motors will be configured differently - they are located in the chassis, placed in a cross configuration so that their inner outputs are lined up. There is a 2-speed remote controlled gearbox at the heart of the chassis along with the RC motors and there will be full long-travel suspension. The front suspension module is already complete, and it will be attached at an angle for positive caster. There will still be some gearing down in the rear suspended portion (e.g. with portal hubs) to ensure the model has sufficient torque.

As the name might suggest, this is the third model in my Red Beryl series (not sure why I chose that name, honestly :laugh:). It'll be a typical trophy truck with either a fully red body or red with black detailing. I've always wanted to use my older-generation Technic panels from the 8436 set, sorta combining two generations of Lego Technic. Like a typical trophy truck, there will be one or two spare wheels in the back.

Like my previous MOC, it will all be controlled by BuWizz.

Photo:

WIP Red Beryl T - 1

Update: I initially planned this MOC in late 2020 but decided to cancel it after challenges arose. I revived the project with a smaller scale, simpler drivetrain, and newer Technic panels.

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 12/23/20

The majority of the chassis is now complete. I still need to make the rear axle, which will of course have soft suspension with long travel. The front axle is now joined with the heart of the chassis - I actually ended up installing it "backwards" as otherwise the servo motor would take up too much chassis space and make it longer. The front axle is installed at an angle for positive caster, and it'll be interesting to see how it does performance-wise.

I am building the model digitally in stud.io as I go, so it's likely there will be instructions for this model in the end.

If you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

Photo:

WIP Red Beryl T - 2

UPDATE 12/24/20

I've decided to cancel this MOC. I've got a lot of projects in mind that I'm looking forward to build in 2021, and unfortunately I've quickly lost interest in continuing this build after it became apparent it was gonna be harder than expected. I wanted this to be a simple build, which reveals another problem - it is essentially just my previous MOC in a different body. The functions are all pretty similar save for the gearbox - in fact, the RC motors are geared nearly identically in 2nd gear. Another issue is the wheels - I've designed it with tractor tires in mind, as I have plenty of those so I could install a spare wheel or two in the back - a pretty common feature on trophy trucks. Unfortunately, I've realized the tractor tires are simply too unrealistic for trophy trucks, as most trophy trucks I've seen have flat profile tires.

I am keeping the stud.io file and the instructions I have made so far though, in case I ever want to use this design in a future MOC.

Edited by JLiu15

UPDATE 5/9/23

I decided to revive this MOC but with a radically different approach. A lot has changed with LEGO Technic in the past two years, and one of the most significant is the addition of plenty of new Technic panels. Instead of having a drivetrain with a gearbox and differential, the RC motors will be connected in a similar manner as my Azure Racer XL MOC. In fact, the suspension maintains the same geometry - the only difference is that the left and right rear wheels are not independently suspended and are connected in a solid axle instead. The front axle still has positive caster (about 10 degrees). It will also be built at a smaller scale than the original design from two years ago, using the tires from the 42124/42126 sets.

Although I only have the Stud.io model here, I did build the rear axle and suspension. It's not pictured as I have to make some changes to it.

Current piece count: 1166

Photos:

YWzGdu1.png

J4d7yoI.png

Looks interesting, but the wheel size seems off for this scale. The Claas tractor tires or the Big Red mobile crane tires would fit this size MOC.

4 hours ago, Alex Ilea said:

Looks interesting, but the wheel size seems off for this scale. The Claas tractor tires or the Big Red mobile crane tires would fit this size MOC.

That was the very mistake from the first time I built this - the Claas tractor tires proved simply to be too big. The wheels and wheel arches are the same as the 42126 Ford Raptor.

The tires from the Zetros (81 mm instead of the 75 you have right now) should fit way better here.

UPDATE 5/11/23

I've built the chassis of the model with all mechanisms and electronics in place. The front axle has double wishbone independent suspension with ~10 degrees of positive caster. The rear axle is a solid axle; the suspension geometry is the same as on my Azure Racer XL MOC but is extended to increase suspension travel and decrease hardness. The BuWizz unit is placed low in the chassis right before the rear axle, which should lower the center of gravity. The suspension is pretty soft, which is good since as far as I know, trophy trucks usually feature soft suspension with long travel.

Photos:

bmfvgmyl.jpg

s1WKx0jl.jpg

2UJUa7Zl.jpg

UPDATE 8/4/23

I redesigned the body of the model and completely rebuilt everything from scratch. This is because I had to use pieces from this model to build my MTA New Flyer XD40 model. The design is now simpler than before, and I was able to add PF LEDs for the headlights as well.

I have most of the lower parts of the body built, with the design mainly consisting of Technic panels. There will also be some System pieces behind the cab, which I have not put in place yet. I still have to design the rear of the body and will likely include two spare wheels in the back. The suspension is soft enough with the body installed that the shock absorbers are partially compressed while the model is on the ground, which should be good for the model's performance.

Photos:

ZG4xz2hl.jpg

XaUPoydl.jpg

tg2zpWel.jpg

rARkR7Zl.png

pG1dvrMl.png

Edited by JLiu15

Somehow I have a feeling that PF Servo could hit the ground when suspension is compressed

UPDATE 8/7/23

A little more progress on the model, with the roof and A-pillars installed. The A-pillars were trickier as they sit at multiple angles, so I installed them on the physical model before modeling them in Stud.io. The roof section was also modified slightly from my initial design in Stud.io to accommodate for the A-pillars.

As of right now the front suspension sits lower than the rear suspension. This should change once the rear of the model is complete, as including one or two spare tires in the back should help balance the front and rear suspension heights.

Photos:

gXbkXnql.jpg

jv2wxKzl.jpg

NM7w9Wjl.jpg

UPDATE 8/9/23

I've finished designing the model in Stud.io. Below is a rendering of the model. I decided to go with only one spare tire instead of two to reduce unnecessary weight. Piece count according to Stud.io is 1333.

ktRGa6l.jpg