Sign in to follow this  
ColletArrow

LMS Ivatt 2MT

I think it's about time I built another steam engine!

1280x720.jpg

1024px-Strathspey_Railway_Ivatt_2MT.JPG
(Prototype picture sourced from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Strathspey_Railway_Ivatt_2MT.JPG)

This is the second time I've attempted a model of the LMS Ivatt 2MT in LEGO bricks; the previous version was my first attempt at building a steam loco, from 5 years ago. But I'd like to think I've improved since then, so it was time to give it another go!

1280x720.jpg

This model has a long history of evolution - the first version was based on the 79111 Constitution Train Chase. Since that original MOC the engine has been refined over a number of digital models, up until last week when I came hoe from Uni, sat down and built it in real bricks. There then followed several days of fine tuning to the wheelbase, motion, drive and general aesthetics. 

The final product is a fairly simple 6-wide 2-6-0 tender engine, with PF motor, IR receiver and rechargeable 9V PP3 cell all held in the 3-axle tender. Overall it's a bit rough, but I think I've done the best I can with my ever-limited parts collection. The loco's boiler still retains it's 79111 heritage, but the rest of the model is pretty different to my older MOC - with the exception of the cabside numbers, which are the same home-printed labels from 5 years ago!

1280x720.jpg

The rear of the tender is only held on by 2 studs, in order to allow easy access to unclip and swap the 9V PP3 cell. I'm now using dad's old rechargeables, which don't give fantastic performance but are far better than eating stacks of AAAs.

1280x720.jpg

Inside the tender things get pretty tight with all the cables, but it seems to work well.

1280x720.jpg

As you've probably already spotted, the loco features some working lighting. 1x1 headlight bricks can positioned in any of the 4 spaces required to display the correct lamp code, although PF LEDs can only be used in the three spots along the bufferbeam. However, given the loco is destined to haul short freights, only one headlamp is required - so I put the other LED behind the firebox in the cab. The boiler backhead isn't particularly accurate (there's no regulator for a start), but it gives a good ambience - especially in the dark.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Finally, 46447 seen with her 'train'. It's pretty short for 2 reasons - 1, I only have 8 wheelsets, and one had to be used under the tender thus limiting the number of wagons I can build. Two, with the motor in the light tender pushing a heavy loco, and especially when powered by old rechargeables, she's pretty weak. The less strain I put on her, the longer she'll run for on one charge.

1280x720.jpg

As usual, there's a bricksafe folder with a handful more photos and a LDD file: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Collet22/lms-ivatt-2mt-v2. I can't promise any accuracy of the LDD file this time, especially in the region where the cylinders connect to the chassis, but it will certainly give anyone interested a better idea what's going on. There's also an older version in the background coloured in Dark Green, just for comparison!

But why did I rebuild this model now? For the last 4 years or so now, I've come home from Univeristy for Christmas, and set up a LEGO train around the tree. This year I finally decided it was time for something different to the pannier tank I've had for the last 3 - and so this whole scene was developed.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a good Christmas!

A good looking build to begin with, and to think that you just built it out of parts on hand. Only 8 wheelsets though, you need to ask Santa for more

Thank you all!

@Pdaitabird - thanks. It's just one set of PF LEDs, but it looks perfect trundling around the tree.

@zephyr1934 - thank you! As a student with very limited LEGO budget, I'm very used to dismantling things to build other things! The collection is slowly growing though, I think l'lI need some more track soon too.

@Brickwolf - thanks, it's good to hear! I usually stick to 7 wide for British prototypes, but excluding the cylinders the entire train remained 6 wide this time.

I "almost" built this locomotive several years ago -- instead I made the tank version of the Standard Class 2, which was related to the Ivatt 2-6-2T, which was the tank version of this locomotive! It's interesting to see different builders' takes on the same locomotive, and which details we prioritize. I like your use of the back of the 1x1 headlight brick for ladders. I can see the improvements from your last take on the same prototype.

11 hours ago, jtlan said:

I "almost" built this locomotive several years ago -- instead I made the tank version of the Standard Class 2, which was related to the Ivatt 2-6-2T, which was the tank version of this locomotive! It's interesting to see different builders' takes on the same locomotive, and which details we prioritize. I like your use of the back of the 1x1 headlight brick for ladders. I can see the improvements from your last take on the same prototype.

Thanks! I do remember your standard tank, and being impressed at the level of PF-stuffing inside!

Interesting you point to the detail-priority idea, I agree it is always interesting to see the same prototypes approached differently. My model was mainly dictated by the parts I have available, although I probably could have upped the detailing furhter, e.g. along the running boards. There's definitely room for a V3 someday!