Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

[MOC] "Barracuda Bay felt empty without the Ship" by Jordan DeVries (Astral Bricks)

blogged.png

"Barracuda Bay felt empty without the Ship" by Jordan DeVries (Astral Bricks)

Gave my Lego pirates a custom upgrade.

image.png

Uses the base and key elements of Pirates of Barracuda Bay.

image.png

The original set locks away the ship's interior, so I moved some of those details to my build as well.

image.png

A cutting-edge rum delivery system.

image.png

The pirates have taken over a Caribbean sea fort.

image.png

Next door is a spooky island hideout, complete with a crystal cave.

image.png

image.png

The new Jose's Inn is a classic combination of bar, and grill.

image.png

Multiple lookouts and telescopes help the pirates keep an eye on things.

image.png

Some of the pirates prefer the simpler life.

image.png

Builder's Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/theastralbricks/

blogged.png

I love the open-backed fort! Looks like tons of playability

Edited by evancelt

Yeah with all the skills across all these forums i don't know why making instructions for MOC's isn't a more normal thing. Obviously people want to keep their creations unique... but interestingly if 10 people purchased a 10 dollar instruction they'd be able to buy more legos... lol.

Nice build, my favorite part is the subtile skull in the mountain. These are commonly featured in the old lego sets but their are mostly very flashy white which looks always a bit like a comic... So well done!

On 1/13/2021 at 5:49 AM, natesroom said:

Yeah with all the skills across all these forums i don't know why making instructions for MOC's isn't a more normal thing. Obviously people want to keep their creations unique... but interestingly if 10 people purchased a 10 dollar instruction they'd be able to buy more legos... lol.

I would say not every construction is stable enough to be build (especial the digital designs). From the digital files i think its easy to make an instruction which is provided by some of the design software. In my case I only build with real bricks and it will take forever to rebuild the model and then making an instruction. I think you have to build it again digital to do it right. I once tried it with fotos for a small alternative build of an set for rebrickable but that takes terrifying long so would not do it again...

Also when I see something I like, e.g. in this inspiring forum, for me it is part of the challenge to figure out how the model is build. And then probably I will have my own idea in the process to create my own design ;)

True, i agree, i just thought it seemed like an undervalued area of business that is ripe for a group of talented people to step in. The amount of people that can build vs the amount of people that can't is very similar to the ratio of people who can build houses to those who can't.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:49 AM, natesroom said:

Keep in mind that Chinese companies have started to illegally copy MOC creations from AFOLs, making their own products out of them and selling them for their own profit.

So LEGO MOCers making instructions for their MOCs and selling them, although highly desirable from us AFOLs, it has become a double edged sword and it will make it easier for the Chinese companies to further expand on their bad practice.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

ahhhh.... true that. As far as i know A "lego" Purist wouldn't even buy those sets anyways, but i know the IP angst.

That's fantastic, I recently took the barracuda island apart, and realised I got a lot of white bricks I won't use for Castles, this is an inspiration for sure.

That's rather awesome. Makes me wonder if I should retrieve my island pieces from the box I put them in and build something worthwhile with them aswell.

But: How did a post from 2020 end up on the frontpage in 2022? I mean, I'm glad it did because otherwise I wopuldn't have seen it, but.... :laugh: