Retro

[MOC] The Queen's Gambit

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Nice and unique small build.  I’d like to see a more zoomed out picture....

Hi, thanks for the comments. When I do this kind of scene (usually an album cover, but this time a TV programme), I only build as much as I need to in order to try and replicate the original photo. So, here is what I was copying;

20201021-REVIEW-The-Queens-Gambit-copy

And here (with no filter applied) are two zoomed out shots, showing how I only built 'just enough'. There's obviously a geometrical challenge in reproducing the original here due to the odd proportions of minifigures, and the fact that even a 16 square chess board is very big...

20201220_122625

20201220_122648-1

That's one nice setup and fantastic picture!

It gets even more impressive when seeing the resemblance with your source material, the original picture of The Queen's Gambit (that I'm really looking forward to see!).

The 4x4 chess board looks like a perfect adaptation for our beloved minifigures, but I think white should be on the right! :wink:

Impressive work!

On 12/23/2020 at 12:31 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Ah that makes more sense now.  Brilliant and unique MOC!

Thank you again!

On 12/23/2020 at 3:34 PM, Wesley D said:

That's one nice setup and fantastic picture!

It gets even more impressive when seeing the resemblance with your source material, the original picture of The Queen's Gambit (that I'm really looking forward to see!).

The 4x4 chess board looks like a perfect adaptation for our beloved minifigures, but I think white should be on the right! :wink:

Impressive work!

I love this comment because you are being very complimentary while also pointing out a fundamental flaw in the model! Well, it shows how little I remember about the rules of chess from my childhood...

Funnily enough, in my first draft (see below - when the queen was also taller), I did have white on the right by chance. But I ended up moving the squares and pieces around for visual reasons, because I felt that for the board to work in Lego I had to have mostly white pieces on white squares and brown on brown, or I lost the 'chess board' effect.

PicsArt_12-25-02.45.33

I wouldn't be that harsh to call it a "fundamental flaw", building a minifigure display requires adaptation anyway. The visual effect is great!

Edited by Wesley D

Getting black/white the wrong way round means it is genuine first edition lego!

ve2jces89sow.jpg

Edited by MAB