Leewan

[MOC] Vintage Police Car

Since the upcoming Modular Police Station won't come with a car, I've decided to build one myself :

50740146988_b9236ff5e3_z.jpg

50740156848_ca76b937b2_z.jpg

50740890866_a65a930da6_z.jpg

It's inspired by 40's American Police cars, and I did my best to make it look like the official sets so it won't look out of place in a Modular Street.

The doors can open, and the roof and rear windscreen can be easily removed to access the interior, where there's room for two minifigs.

50740893941_d964cbca8d_z.jpg

50740162018_580066acc1_z.jpg

Ideally it would be a police officer and the terrible Donut Thief buf of course I don't have them yet, so I used the minifigs from 40409 Hot Rod instead. Speaking of which, here's a comparison shot between the two cars :

50740993632_b507dc9a67_z.jpg

Instructions for this model can be found on Rebrickable : https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-59900/Leewan/vintage-police-car/

If you want to try different colour schemes, modify the model (to turn it into a civilian version for example), or simply see it under every possible angle, you can check the 3D model on Mecabricks : https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/Jk2Ex0qPa9A

PS : Oh, I almost forgot something, shame on me. I wanted to say a big thank you to @_shaddow_ for his help. 

So good! Can't wait to see a picture of it with the Police Station (when it's released)

If only LEGO would have held a "build a classic police" car last year. :grin: Looks great.

1 hour ago, bondp99 said:

This should be the GWP for the new modular Police Station

@bondp99 You’ve nailed it.  This is an amazing MOC!  Really fitting for the time, and I could just imagine it on a modular street.

Oh, thank you all for your kind words. :blush:

18 hours ago, Rick said:

If only LEGO would have held a "build a classic police" car last year.

Hehe but that would have immediately given away the nature of the next modular. :tongue:

And since the subject was rather broad that allowed for a nice range of entries. And because of that variety I must admit at first I was a bit annoyed and frustrated that my entries lost to a car that was so similar to the car found in DD, but the winner grew on me and now I look forward to get the actual set. Plus I can't say no to a teal car. And, think of it that way : with 40448 and my police car, people will have the opportunity to display a car chase in their Modular Street. :grin:

10 hours ago, Stepwise said:

Nice job - I downloaded the instructions to this and your spinner - it'll be fun to put these together.

Thank you ! It's a bit off topic here but I'm really proud of the spinner and I hope you'll enjoy the build. I have ideas for a second one, but I dont know when I'll build it. :classic:

I'll take two please! These will look awesome next to my non-modular 1940s police station made from the Town Plan town hall.

Keep up the good work @Leewan!

I've never been the biggest fan of older tyme automobiles but your creation here is downright spectacular. The shape, construction and design, parts usage and photography are all sublime. And then you went all 'madlad' as the internet likes to say and released it for free and mod-able. Top notch creation all the way Leewan!

Thanks everyone. :sweet:

On 12/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, koalayummies said:

And then you went all 'madlad' as the internet likes to say and released it for free and mod-able.

Oh I'm certainly not the kind of guy who'd think of selling whatever I can. Now I have nothing against people who sell instructions, and I may do it myself for bigger models, but it's something I want to avoid as much as I can.

And, speaking of mods, I've done a little one myself : I raised the fender skirts by a half-plate, so they're now aligned with the rest of the bodywork, and the wheels are a bit more visible now. 

Car MOD

(The "upgraded" version is on the right)

Instructions have been updated. Here's the list of parts that were added to the first version of the model, for people who have already built it and wish to do the modification.

Leewan! If this was a review you'd get 10 out of 10! Fantastic design! The construction and techniques are excellent. Absolutely in the style of all the vehicles that we've gotten in the official modulars; time period aesthetic, functionality/opening doors, fits minifigures and obviously goes perfect with the latest building. If this came with the set it'd be the best modular building vehicle without question. It's even better in person so thanks for sharing. Awesome work!

50780917637_4f4c40950d_z.jpg

(I set this image to private in my flickr so its only displayed here in your EB thread).