A Lumbering Process

Loggers, Sawmiller and Shieldsmiths

Loggers, Sawmiller and Shieldsmiths

In this MOC, a trio of scenes showcases the process of transforming trees into shields in medieval times. These workers are from the town of Batuhan, in northern Kaliphlin.

Loggers

Loggers

The first vignette shows loggers at work. Two are using their axes to chop down a linden tree. Linden wood (or basswood) is light and easy to work with making it a great for shieldsmithing. A third man guides a horse pull along a felled tree.

Sawmiller

Sawmiller

Logged trees make their way to the sawmill shown in the second scene. The water wheel powers the saw blades reducing the amount of manual effort needed to create lumber from logs. A sawmiller pushed the tree through the machine. At the other end, lumber falls into a cart (not shown) to be taken to the lumberyard or carpenters.

Shieldsmiths

Shieldsmiths

Shieldsmiths take the linden lumber planks and cut them to the right shape and then plane them. The carpenter (center) uses a cabinet scraper to further smooth the wood surface. The blacksmith (right) hammers out an iron band to reinforce the shield. A painter (left) applies heraldry to a fully constructed shield.

Spoiler

This MOC is my entry into the Ye Olde Woodes category of the 2020 Colossal Castle Contest (CCC XVIII).

I am submitting the MOCs for the following Petraea University Doctorate of Historica program credits:

• Trees → Style 2 (arches + limb elements)
  • Architecture → Roofing Style 1 (half-pressed tiles)
  • General Building → Interior Design
  • Trade and Law → Manufacturing

I am submitting two of the MOCs as Historican Settlements around Batuhan:

• Laborers: sawmiller
  • Craftsmen: shieldsmiths

•  

Great job on this trio of builds.  The roof on the middle one is especially nice - dark blue was a great touch.  I also really like how well you presented the activity in each scene - great minifigure posing!  +1 for the UoP credits!

Great build! The details are great and I love how the style is similar in each build.

Honestly, my favorite part is the base used on each model. For some reason, I love the look of that. Excellent roof on the second model.

Very good work, I specially like the third one.
Thanks for sharing.

Really nice series of builds. My personal favorite is the sawmill, but they all look great and work really well together to show the process. Also I know its not the focus of the builds, but I really like the Kaliphlin themed border too.

Well done!  I like the three builds coming together to show the progression of the shields from start to finish.  For anyone reading this, I would recommend looking on Flickr if you haven't already.  The pictures are more detailed there.  The loggers build has good use of the whips for a horse harness and I like the idea of dragging a singular tree rather than loading up a larger cart.  The sawmiller is probably my favorite.  I like all the detail on the roof, the chains hanging down, the mini posing, the use of the bar to chisel/pry (rather than the ever present hand axe), and the attention to detail on the eaves are awesome.  I would personally like to see the sticks in the water set down between tiles.  They kind of look like they're hovering above the surface a little to me, but this is a small detail.  Nice clean interior on the shieldsmith.  The shields on the wall are a nice touch.  I like the way you added the rafters/crown molding while keeping the ceiling open to let in light but also give a sense of the room.  Overall, I would like to see a little more contrast on the images.  They're good and true to color, but some of the shadows are getting in the way of my being able to see the details that you've packed into your builds, and it would be a shame to have anything missed!  Great work!

On 12/21/2020 at 8:47 AM, Kai NRG said:

Great job on this trio of builds.  The roof on the middle one is especially nice - dark blue was a great touch.  I also really like how well you presented the activity in each scene - great minifigure posing!  +1 for the UoP credits!

Thanks!

On 12/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, JintaiZ said:

Great build! The details are great and I love how the style is similar in each build.

It was fun tying three builds together with the logging theme.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, romulan said:

All are great, but I particularly love the "Shieldsmiths" build!

This is the most detailed interior I've done lately, it was good to expand my techniques.

On 12/29/2020 at 7:52 PM, caiman0637 said:

Honestly, my favorite part is the base used on each model. For some reason, I love the look of that. Excellent roof on the second model.

Thanks!  I like the bases too (there was pushback on framed builds for a while) but in this case, it ties them together in a way irregular bases would not (especially with the water and interior MOCs).

On 12/30/2020 at 12:57 AM, Zarcania said:

Very nice sets!

The stand is clearly improving the look and gives an impression of art piece

Thanks!  I'm happy with how that part turned out.

On 12/30/2020 at 10:25 AM, Niku said:

Very good work, I specially like the third one.
Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome - I'm glad you like the third one, I have not built many interiors.

On 12/30/2020 at 1:19 PM, LordDan said:

Really nice series of builds. My personal favorite is the sawmill, but they all look great and work really well together to show the process. Also I know its not the focus of the builds, but I really like the Kaliphlin themed border too.

The sawmill was my favorite - I spend the most time designing it.  I'm really happy with the border and how it links the three otherwise unrelated MOCs together - especially since I didn't feel having the same minifigures in each scene would be accurate.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:59 PM, Grover said:

Well done!  I like the three builds coming together to show the progression of the shields from start to finish.  For anyone reading this, I would recommend looking on Flickr if you haven't already.  The pictures are more detailed there.  The loggers build has good use of the whips for a horse harness and I like the idea of dragging a singular tree rather than loading up a larger cart.  The sawmiller is probably my favorite.  I like all the detail on the roof, the chains hanging down, the mini posing, the use of the bar to chisel/pry (rather than the ever present hand axe), and the attention to detail on the eaves are awesome.  I would personally like to see the sticks in the water set down between tiles.  They kind of look like they're hovering above the surface a little to me, but this is a small detail.  Nice clean interior on the shieldsmith.  The shields on the wall are a nice touch.  I like the way you added the rafters/crown molding while keeping the ceiling open to let in light but also give a sense of the room.  Overall, I would like to see a little more contrast on the images.  They're good and true to color, but some of the shadows are getting in the way of my being able to see the details that you've packed into your builds, and it would be a shame to have anything missed!  Great work!

As I said above, the sawmill is my favorite too.  I agree about the sticks in the water.  The sawmill 'interior' is especially dark, I tried to lighten it when editing, but didn't go far enough (or needed a better photo).  Thank you for the detailed response, @Grover!

Great series.  For me, I like the sawmill build best overall--I'm impressed by how much you crammed into that footprint in that one, but the workshop is a close 2nd.