Sign in to follow this  
JackJonespaw

[REVIEW] 75295 Millennium Falcon Microfighter

What do you think of 2020's Millennium Falcon Microfighter?  

1. 1. What do you think of 2020's Millennium Falcon Microfighter?

• I hate it and love you!
    • It's alright. You're pretty good.
    • I have no opinion about either this set or you.
    • It''s pretty good. You're alright.
    • I love it and hate you!

50736790507_a9dd294d41_c.jpg

There’s a steppe in Southern Russia that boasts a particularly rare falcon. Through some sort of genetic mutation of the red-footed falcon, once every 1,000 years, a gray-footed falcon is born. But it can’t reproduce, so this one of a kind falcon will die out at the end of the bird’s lifespan of ~14 years. However, one of the cool things about this once a millenary bird is its nest. Let’s get a closer look.

50735951178_65585c392a_c.jpg

See, unlike it’s red-footed brethren, this falcon’s nest is...hang on, what’s that?

50736792142_3e9c2754b2_c.jpg

Huh, well that’s actually more interesting than the bird. Let’s talk about that instead.

50736685861_965fab454d_c.jpg

Name: Millennium Falcon Microfighter

Set Number: 75295

Pieces: 101

Price: $9.99 | £8.99 | 9.99€

Minifigs: 1

Theme: Cynical Scrutiny. Oh, of the set? Star Wars.

50736791847_78b178e19d_c.jpg

Having extracted this from the falcon’s nest, let’s check out a ship from this 8th Series of Microfighters. Trivia Question: can anyone name every ship in a single series of these microfighters? You cannot, because I cannot. Anyway, since I’m writing four of these reviews (check back in the next three days), I’ll not mention anything more about the box design on this one, other than to say there’s a TIE fighter below the Falcon that Han seems unaware of. Watch out Han! It’s literally shooting at you!

50736685581_7b18b9c2e7_c.jpg

I guess he survived. Or this is before he’s blown up. The thing to note about this is the two sets at the bottom. One of them is cool and kinda original. The other one is this set. More on that later.

50735950468_dc233857d5_c.jpg

Here’s what you get in the box. And to answer your question, Terry, no, these bags still aren’t edible. I know, bud, I know.

50735950308_c412ff0605_c.jpg

And it’s Han. Default Han, as I’ll call him. He’s appeared in the second LEGO Death Star (no, not Death Star II), and the bad, small Mos Eisley Cantina, and the good, large Mos Eisley Cantina. And now this. I’m not sure anyone’s collection is really hurting for a Han Solo these days. Sometimes I sneeze and a Han Solo comes out.

50736791257_b7a17ae2dc_c.jpg

Here is an important step - the first one! No going back now. Not when you use glue as I do. Makes a good sealer and a mid-build snack.

50735950023_a49f91e599_c.jpg

And now the rest of the owl. Falcon. Whatever bird you want. It’s, I mean, it’s a small Millennium Falcon. LEGO didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel here.

50736684941_e54e0540b9_c.jpg

The sides are actually pretty snazzy, if you’re into sides. I’m more of a vertices guy myself. Still, one has to appreciate the detailing here, even if a good 80% of it is imagination.

50735949798_700e4610c4_c.jpg

Atop the bird, there’s two of these little disc launchers. At least they’re not flick-fires, am I right? Are we still making fun of flick-fires? 

Pros and cons of these launchers - easy to shoot, but also easy to loose the disc. Also, if, for instance, you shoot it across your room where you left a half-eaten pepperoni pizza, make sure you retrieve it. Otherwise you might be in the doctor’s office trying to explain that you were writing a review for a LEGO Millennium Falcon microfighter, and that’s 4 whole words you’re going to now have to explain to her.

50735949748_43dc578b2f_c.jpg

They said the disc would pass naturally, and that’s good for my health insurance coverage. Or lack of it. Heyo, single-payer health care!

Anyway, under this ship, you’ve got these smooth roundboys. Have you ever put these on an Air Hockey table? It’s like a challenge mode. Also - Air Hockey tables are much better at swallowing LEGO than I am.

50736790767_e0295c2220_c.jpg

I’m actually a fan of these hinged blue parts. Did you know this was actually a function of the Falcon in the movies?

50736790687_4945dc4b1a_c.jpg

It’s for aerodynamics when in planets’ atmospheres. It was only shown off once, in the 1980 comic Star Wars 28: Cavern of the Crawling Death, when Han and Chewbacca are forced to land on Orleon. See, I’m educational, too!

50735949528_d9cf7a7659_c.jpg

Now, let’s get into the meat and potatoes, which, coincidentally, are very easy to cut thanks to Urban Farmer Wüsthof Knives! 7-piece set now available from Williams Sonoma!

I don’t really...get the point of microfighters. That’s maybe a bit of a broad statement, because LEGO sets don’t necessarily have a point so much as they’re a toy or a hobby. But at least there’s usually a selling point. These days, it’s boiled down to either minifigs or a cool set. LEGO Piano? Fun build. LEGO Harry Potter sets? All about those Hogwarts kids.

So for a Microfighter Millennium Falcon, not only a set that’s come out twice before, but a set that includes one of the more generic Star Wars minifigs, it feels like they had to some sort of queue. “There must be two Microfighters in each line, so I guess we’ll go with the Falcon again.” Not to mention it’s basically the same build. There’s a few other Star Wars sets that have forced me to ask this question, like the Landspeeder situation or Snowspeeder recolor - what’s the point? It’s even more exacerbated with a $10 set like a Microfighter. You can generally make a case for other Microfighters, mainly for the minifig, but for a common Han Solo? Eh. I’m not saying being a LEGO designer is simple. But from a consumer standpoint, it seems lazy to rehash a set once every three years, especially a set that can be essentially described as a stocking stuffer. But maybe that’s why it can be so lazy, because it’s something my grandma grabs for me because she knows I like LEGO and Star Wars, and she doesn’t want to spend $30 on a real set.

So I’m giving this set a 1/5. It brings nothing new to the table, and I can’t see anyone being particularly jazzed about getting their hands on this set. That’s strikes me as a failure.

But what do you guys think? Are you a fan of this Millennium Falcon microfighter? Or an inexpensive Han Solo figure? How do you feel about releasing what is basically the same set every three years? Let me know below, and make sure you vote on the poll!

And big thanks to LEGO for providing me with a copy of this set, and Eurobricks for being such a great community.

JackJonespaw out, RAAAAAAAAAAA!

50736684511_434d80fc19_c.jpg

Microfighters are an inexpensive minifigure delivery system, is all.  I'm happy to get my hands on an ANH Han Solo without breaking the bank thanks to this set.

you're right, I am just buying these small sets to get the minifigs and then keeping the rest as extra parts to be re-used for MOCs

Thanks JackJoneSpaw for the great review. I understand that it's nothing new, but I think it deserves a higher score since the shaping is great and the colors look spot on.

Well, maybe there are people who didn't have a chance to get their hands on the past MF micro fighter. Perhaps kids who were to young for such a toy at the last release. Or adults who just started the hobby. Or whatever. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

This review is funnier than most netflix comedies. I particularly liked the "falcon microfighter as a bird in the wild" and the glue jokes.

However I do have to agree with @m4st3rt3ch that this was meant for people who didn't get the last one and kids that were too young last time. Still should've come with ESB han and not the super common han, though.

Just like in the Technic forums, I see people giving away 2 scores. So I'll do the same here.

1/5 for those who got the previous one. 

And for those who missed the old one and wants to skip the completionist route and just buy what will be available in the store -- I'll give it a 3/5.

btw, @JackJonespaw that bird nest picture is perfect. :grin:

Absolutely hilarious review Jack! I chuckled all the way through. Very fun way to present a pretty dull set at this point.

To me this microfighter is the sort of thing that's neither good nor bad. It's just kind of there. An easy cheap "stocking stuffer" or desk display piece with a recognisable and desirable ship and figure, which at the same time would be dull if you have either of those things already.

I think 1/5 is very unfair and perhaps you should judge the set on its own merits. Fine, you don't like the concept of the Microfighters, I am halfway inclined to agree, but I do think being critical of this set because Han Solo is a common figure and there have been previous Millennium Falcon Microfighters is missing the point and the way it is written can be interpreted as mean spirited and condescending rather than satirical or humorous. It's 6 years since the last Millennium Falcon Microfighter with Han Solo was in it, think how many children have grown up, been introduced to Star Wars in that time? How many might want a cool set with Han Solo only for their parents to look it up and find that their options are £120 for Slave I or £350 for the Cloud City? Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon are two of the most defining, iconic, things about Star Wars. People who haven't even seen these films would recognise them. Maybe instead of groaning at Grandma not buying you a "real set" (ugh) you should celebrate that Lego has provided a route (by Microfighters) to bring the most popular characters and the spaceships to less affluent families who cannot  spend hundreds of pounds to buy sets containing chase figures that are released each year. 

gonna say mentioning that new han's in two big expensive set and a bad one from 2 years ago isn't a great way to say "he's expendable", but yeah any attempts to rationalize this as a "good set" is just stockholm syndrome kicking in. micros have started to get better tho: the dewback's a cute little bugger for one thing