Sign in to follow this  
Gabor

[MOC] Westbahn Stadler Kiss 2

Hi everyone!

I´m really happy to present you again something! This is a minifig scaled model of a Stadler Kiss 2 train, in the colours of Westbahn. It contains 7216 bricks and it took 14 months to create it. Somewhere I wrote earlier, that if I don´t post, I don´t disappear, just my creations are getting more and more difficult. It takes a long time to figure out every small lines and details, etc. You know, it has to be perfect…

It´s the case with my newest creation on the pictures. Maybe some of you have already heard, that I´m currently working in Austria. I started on the workplace in October, 2019. One of the first things which I realized in the new environment was the train of the company Westbahn. (I arrived by train to the city) This is a passenger train company, which offers trains between Vienna and Salzburg. They have a stop in my city as well. The train has a really cool painting. Four colours, which are looking nice near each other and a lot of lines, which mean a really great challenge to build. Of course using stickers was prohibited, as nowadays always.

50737432417_e6bb72bd11_b.jpg

So I started to build the front in LDD in November, just one month later. When it was possible to see, that the model is similar to the real one, I started to buy the pieces to try the concept in real life. Of course it looked bad. But in comparison with my ICE (read the story again here) the process was much better. There was no break in the developing. I was always able to work happily on it and in Mai 2020, during the first Covid-lockdown the front car became almost ready (~2200 parts). After that I just copied the construction for the other end. It was boring and deadly. I´ve already had problems during the first car with special parts in special colours. But the copy-period was the worst. Parallel with it I started to buy pieces of course for the middle section. It was a bit easier, because it doesn´t have diagonal lines. And a few days ago I was ready!

Unfortunately Westbahn sold these trains to DB, but one of them stayed. The other trains of Westbahn are similar to this one, but they have small differences at doors and at painting. But I wanted to take the “Big Brother” picture with the correct train. It was very time-consuming to hunt it, so I decided, that I write to the company and ask it, when will be the train at my train station. It´s not the first time, that I´m trying to do similar pictures, and the owner, or the company have never helped. But Westbahn yes! They were very kind and helpful. They sent me, when the train comes. Despite of it I had to visit the train station three times, because I didn´t like first two pictures! So I would like to say a huge thanks to Westbahn here again!

Btw the train has motors, so it will hopefully functional in the future! If I get the Sbrick and the cables, I test it and if it will be possible to take it to an exhibition where there is a long train track, I make a video, I promise!

Thanks for watching the pictures and reading the story! Hope, you like the train, too! :)

50737327081_3177a37fde_z.jpg

50737434237_6b38e5098b_z.jpg

50736590018_225f9fb956_z.jpg

50736593143_ed0722aedc_z.jpg

50736594163_93f7fcec8c_z.jpg

50736595233_80197cc3f3_z.jpg

50737429962_411953ea75_z.jpg

Edited by Gabor

Wow. Incredible job, it's obvious why it took you so long to finish this, the level of detail is marvelous and almost ridiculous. Totally worth the time though, I'd say - the color really do work together and your model really captures what makes the prototype special. I'd love to see this in the brick, just to admire it!

I'd consider getting custom stickers printed though, if you have access to some templates - adding them would make a model that is already stellar perfect.

Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very impressed!  I’ve been on this forum a few years now and rarely see such good MOCs.  The paintwork on this is about as far from square as you could possibly get, and in the words of Caesar, you came, you saw, you conquered!  From a distance it looks like a die cast model train rather than a LEGO one.  Must weigh a ton though - you’re gonna want a lot of motors on that!

Wow... incredible level of detail on the train. Soooo many plates and tiles make up the lines on the train and you captured them quite well!

That is an incredible build! You've knocked it way out of the ballpark. The diagonal lines cutting through vertical lines are impressive on their own, but all of the curvature you've captured on the nose and the gentle sloping on the top of the sides is some amazing engineering.

18 hours ago, Gabor said:

Btw the train has motors, so it will hopefully functional in the future! If I get the Sbrick and the cables, I test it and if it will be possible to take it to an exhibition where there is a long train track, I make a video, I promise!

Do you have enough straight track to test it on without curves to see if the motors are powerful enough? If you haven't tried yet, you might also want to look into roller bearing wheels, they make a huge difference on heavy trains. I was able to convert my heaviest trains back to PF IR after going to roller bearing wheels.

Amazing build - especially the building techniques here.

I was lucky enough to see the first car of this built and I maintain what I said at those times - all details in place but train height is really mismatched if we play the scaled trains thing. But also - this is my opinion and the height problem is almost invisible thanks to the fantastic sloping pattern and the play with the different blue colours.

I think this page (second photo, around the middle) highlights my critics if you compare the photo to your train's sideview.

https://railcolornews.com/2016/07/06/at-first-images-westbahn-kiss-2/

Hunting the real train while only on remained in WB colouring - I can understand the pain. When you started to build it, there was no any sign of the contract DB and WB made about selling the couple of years old trains.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:43 PM, Amoreternum said:

Wow. Incredible job, it's obvious why it took you so long to finish this, the level of detail is marvelous and almost ridiculous. Totally worth the time though, I'd say - the color really do work together and your model really captures what makes the prototype special. I'd love to see this in the brick, just to admire it!

I'd consider getting custom stickers printed though, if you have access to some templates - adding them would make a model that is already stellar perfect.

Thanks! Normally I take part in two exhibitions in Germany every year: Zusammengebaut and Bricks am Meer. So you have the chance to see it!

On 12/19/2020 at 11:22 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very impressed!  I’ve been on this forum a few years now and rarely see such good MOCs.  The paintwork on this is about as far from square as you could possibly get, and in the words of Caesar, you came, you saw, you conquered!  From a distance it looks like a die cast model train rather than a LEGO one.  Must weigh a ton though - you’re gonna want a lot of motors on that!

Thank you very much! Oh, yes, the front cars are heavy, but I hope the two motors will be enough. If not, I have still some bogies to change them to motors!

On 12/20/2020 at 4:28 PM, zephyr1934 said:

That is an incredible build! You've knocked it way out of the ballpark. The diagonal lines cutting through vertical lines are impressive on their own, but all of the curvature you've captured on the nose and the gentle sloping on the top of the sides is some amazing engineering.

Do you have enough straight track to test it on without curves to see if the motors are powerful enough? If you haven't tried yet, you might also want to look into roller bearing wheels, they make a huge difference on heavy trains. I was able to convert my heaviest trains back to PF IR after going to roller bearing wheels.

Thank you! Yes, I have enough straight tracks at home, but not enough place :D That´s why I have to wait a bit with the test.

Thanks for the tip about the bearings, but I don´t really like to use custom parts. I will use the Sbrick, but only because the IR receiver simply don´t reliable enough...

On 12/21/2020 at 1:16 PM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Amazing build - especially the building techniques here.

I was lucky enough to see the first car of this built and I maintain what I said at those times - all details in place but train height is really mismatched if we play the scaled trains thing. But also - this is my opinion and the height problem is almost invisible thanks to the fantastic sloping pattern and the play with the different blue colours.

I think this page (second photo, around the middle) highlights my critics if you compare the photo to your train's sideview.

https://railcolornews.com/2016/07/06/at-first-images-westbahn-kiss-2/

Hunting the real train while only on remained in WB colouring - I can understand the pain. When you started to build it, there was no any sign of the contract DB and WB made about selling the couple of years old trains.

Thank you!

Yes, you are right! As you suggested in an e-mail, I reduced the height, but only with a few plates. It was not enough to reach the correct size, but it made the overall look. a bit better. It was a compromise: I don´t have the correct height, but I was able to keep the nose design, which works very well.

Yes, it was a bit stressful, but luckily the picture is ready, so everything is awesome :D

Thanks everyone for your kinds words! I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :classic:

Regardless of this height-problem the model is still far one of the bests I have seen in the past 11 years and make sure you don't forget to enter it to BrickTrainAwards 2021 competition!

And hopefully, after the borders are free again, we can do this as well:

https://railcolornews.com/2020/06/15/hu-expert-mav-and-westbahn-kissing-in-hungary/

3 hours ago, Ashi Valkoinen said:

and make sure you don't forget to enter it to BrickTrainAwards 2021 competition!

Noooooooo!!! Don't do that, I want a chance to win. (just kidding, I think it would be very competitive and you should definitely enter it)

On 1/1/2021 at 12:35 PM, Ashi Valkoinen said:

Regardless of this height-problem the model is still far one of the bests I have seen in the past 11 years and make sure you don't forget to enter it to BrickTrainAwards 2021 competition!

And hopefully, after the borders are free again, we can do this as well:

https://railcolornews.com/2020/06/15/hu-expert-mav-and-westbahn-kissing-in-hungary/

Thanks for the idea!

Oh, will we do it definitely! It´s superb! I used again something different instead of magnets, but I will create an alternative solution to be able to attach my train to your one!

On 1/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Noooooooo!!! Don't do that, I want a chance to win. (just kidding, I think it would be very competitive and you should definitely enter it)

What will you nominate? :classic:

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share with you a small update in connection with this MOC. Since posting it I got all wires, the Sbrick and time to do a test. I was a bit stressed, how these extremely heavy and extremely long cars can drive on the very unfriendly Lego train tracks. The result is in the video:

It works quite well, but of course the ~80° is not so nice between the cars in the curves.

The curves are at first the normal Lego curves. After that straight, curve, straight, curve, etc. In the last scene the radius is 107 cm.

I used two normal train motors in the bogies under the phantographs. There are two 50 cm long extension wires and a switch with pole reverser going through the train to the Sbrick, which is in one of the middle cars, together with a small extension wire and the batteries.

Thanks for visiting!

Edited by Gabor

Wowser!! Now THAT'S a proper train. Congratulations on such an amazing build and on making it possible to run on standard LEGO track geometry.

I just wanted to say that you don't need a pole reverser switch if you're using an SBrick, as you can reverse the direction of the output from individual ports within the SBrick app. 

On 2/1/2021 at 1:02 AM, Hod Carrier said:

Wowser!! Now THAT'S a proper train. Congratulations on such an amazing build and on making it possible to run on standard LEGO track geometry.

I just wanted to say that you don't need a pole reverser switch if you're using an SBrick, as you can reverse the direction of the output from individual ports within the SBrick app. 

Thank you! Because of the length of the train another small extension wire would be needed, if not a pole reverser switch. I used this, because I prefer using only one port for motors, which have to wirk really together.

22 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Impressive engineering to get such long cars through the R40 curves

Thanks! I´m so happy, that it was successful!