Jim

Technic General Discussion

So, people think the portal hubs have bad steering geometry? That's nothing compared to this. Don't worry, it wasn't me who made this.

13822084686_SPLASH.jpg

And I thought Toyota HiAce 4WD had a bad turning radius... :laugh:

Does anyone else think it would be useful if lego produced a 3L long pin with friction, but with a towball in the middle, so you could make a "uniball" pivot? (If you don't know what a uniball joint is, look it up on google)

Ouch.

Yep. I honestly don't understand why they did this, because it would be much easier to put the steering arms made for those black pieces.

Does anyone else think it would be useful if lego produced a 3L long pin with friction, but with a towball in the middle, so you could make a "uniball" pivot? (If you don't know what a uniball joint is, look it up on google)

How would you fit the receiving portion of the towball connection over the ball without redesigning that as well? The current connectors for towballs only sit on top of the ball (and encase it somewhat, but only from the one side).

The towball and connector would probably have to be redesigned, the ball perhaps made slightly bigger and the connector point changed somehow.

The towball and connector would probably have to be redesigned, the ball perhaps made slightly bigger and the connector point changed somehow.

While a uniball joint would be nice to have, I can't see TLG changing the dimensions of the towball. It's a long-established standard part that interfaces with existing parts (and the coming Mixels joint parts as well). So for there to be a uniball joint, you'd need to have a set of completely new parts; and while that's possible it seems unlikely.

Yeah, the parts Technyk32231 suggest could be useful, but it's not something I expect.

How about with a Bionicle-sized ball? That way you could make one out of existing technic parts. Or maybe i'm interpreting this wrong?

How about with a Bionicle-sized ball? That way you could make one out of existing technic parts. Or maybe i'm interpreting this wrong?

You could make that if you drilled one out...

this piece has the axle hole all the way through 53585 I've used it for a 3-point hitch years ago.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that part. You could sandwich it between two parts with pin holes, like this:

10439572154_a2f9e253d7_z.jpg

That's just to sketch out the idea - I'm sure there's a way to design something with a good range of motion and good strength.

Edited by Hrafn

quick question.. i'm using part 32009, taking advantage of the "elongated" hole to use as a lever. But the part is too big, so i was wondering, is there a smaller part with a similar hole? something like a 3 or 4 long beam with two fused holes or such ?

sorry if it sounds like a stupid question

quick question.. i'm using part 32009, taking advantage of the "elongated" hole to use as a lever. But the part is too big, so i was wondering, is there a smaller part with a similar hole? something like a 3 or 4 long beam with two fused holes or such ?

sorry if it sounds like a stupid question

Maybe you could use the inside of a curved thin liftarm?

I just finished building 8109 and just wanted to say it's a surprisingly excellent model. 2010 was a good year for Technic.

I have started the build, but need to finish it. How do you like the "special mechanism"?

Love it! Clever use of the rubberband etc. I also love the way the rear wheels are lowered when the bed moves backwards, or were you referring to that? It's just really fun to build, and the various mechanisms are well thought out. Looks good too. I wonder who designed it?

Edited by jantjeuh

Love it! Clever use of the rubberband etc. I also love the way the rear wheels are lowered when the bed moves backwards, or were you referring to that? It's just really fun to build, and the various mechanisms are well thought out. Looks good too. I wonder who designed it?

Actually I meant mechanisms, because both are pretty neat (supposedly). Should finish it some time soon :)

Don't know who is the designer. Might be on the Lego website, Technic section?

Maybe you could use the inside of a curved thin liftarm?

Yes i tryed 32250 but the hole inside is too big.. the nice thing of 32009 was that it keeps a pin or axle trapped inside limiting movement.. i guess i'll solve in some other way

Hi together, i´ve found a very interesting shock absorber i´ve never seen before.

I think a really good part for heavy vehicles.

Does anyone know where i can order these parts?

I found nothing about this on bricklink No. 48912

The seller told me he has only one of this........ :hmpf_bad:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/LEGO-TECHNIC-SHOCK-ABSORBER-48912-STOSSDAMPFER-FEDERBEIN-GELB-/290999407620?pt=DE_Allesf%C3%BCrdKind_Spielzeug_Lego&hash=item43c0ea9404

Looks like a custom part.

Nevermind, see allanp's reply below. Interesting, I had never seen it before.

Edited by jantjeuh

Ok, cool many thanks......... but i think a VERY rare part!

Nearly impossible to find four pieces of them.

Or i have to buy four streetbikes........ expensive :sceptic:

Edited by Ralf

Ok, cool many thanks......... but i think a VERY rare part!

Nearly impossible to find four pieces of them.

Very expensive, too. I wonder how it performs in heavy vehicles. Can't recall any MOC that uses it.

Coolest thing about this shock absorber that it is slightly adjustable (2 settings only). The bad thing - it is very expensive.