Jim

Technic General Discussion

I think that the next panels that we can get is the parallelogram extensions for 3x7 panels and 2x5 panels as well. I also have an idea about a 1x2 liftarm as the extension of the 2x5 panel on the straight side. 

With the huge new wheels from set 42130, will we also enter a new era of 4-wheeled speed record attempts? :pir-grin:

41 minutes ago, astyanax said:

With the huge new wheels from set 42130, will we also enter a new era of 4-wheeled speed record attempts? :pir-grin:

Quite possibly! I guess the question comes down to how well they match with buggy motor torque/speed without any gearing. After all, the main advantage of larger tires is that you can get a higher speed without inefficient gearing up, so I hope these aren't too large and require inefficient gearing down. Probably people would just stack a bunch of buggy motors to get torque, though.

1 minute ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Probably people would just stack a bunch of buggy motors to get torque, though.

People like the one posting before you..... :grin:

13 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Yep! I guess we're counting on it!

13 minutes ago, astyanax said:

:wink: Might be a good challenge to motorize it like @piterx But, yes it would take a lot of torque to get it to speed, though being heavier it may be harder to flip over once it's going.

I tried motorizing the Ducati, but didn't come close, though I've build a few standalone RC bikes of my own. I think my main issues were the high center of gravity and the difficulty of keeping it correctly balanced. I mean, there were probably lots of other mistakes that could be avoided, but I expect motorizing a set this large and getting it to balance would be a major challenge!

I have a somewhat controversial opinion (compared to System builders): I feel like Technic should be a LOT more supported by TLG in terms of sets and parts. For being one of the three distinct systems, it should be a lot more publicized and expanded. Heck, even Duplo gets more sets per year than Technic does. The casual fans of LEGO I talk to have never even heard of/acknowledged Technic. I also noticed that System gets a LOT more recolored parts than Technic does. The BMW bike has been a blessing with many new parts, but if LEGO pushed Technic more, we would have much more. I would think LEGO would not just focus on vehicles, but instead expand to other constructions, which would make Technic more popular among casual fans. I feel like Technic has a lot of wasted potential. On the other hand, I really appreciate the "mini-revolution" in parts that we have gotten in the past 4 or 5 years, like the mini-panels, flip-flop beams and pin/axle connectors. I hope that someday Technic can get 40-50 sets a year.

2 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I hope that someday Technic can get 40-50 sets a year.

No. I don't think that would be good. Count of technic sets for me seems OK. But they could really make something that is not vehicle. Just some clock or something.

18 hours ago, Jurss said:

No. I don't think that would be good. Count of technic sets for me seems OK. But they could really make something that is not vehicle. Just some clock or something.

The number is fine to me too. However, I think that they are getting carried away with the 18+ display sets.

I under stand a licence adds to the price, but it's like they slap 18+ on there to jack up the price. Yes I know 18+ sets are trending, every set over $150 does not need to be pushed as a display set. I wanted the BMW bike to build and for the parts till I seen it was $229. Seems a bit over priced for me.

Mostly, I think they're carried away with the whole pullback thing. That stuff is taking up 4 sets now. Make it into a separate theme already.

I'd like to see a great playset for once, with tons of functions. Like the tow truck. Manual, or with 1 motor and a switchbox.

35 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Mostly, I think they're carried away with the whole pullback thing. That stuff is taking up 4 sets now. Make it into a separate theme already.

I'd like to see a great playset for once, with tons of functions. Like the tow truck. Manual, or with 1 motor and a switchbox.

Like the 42082 Rough Terrain Crane?

But yeah, I agree, two pullbacks per year is fine but it's getting out of hand, especially as it seems that the larger pullbacks are replacing other similar scale sets instead of being an addition to the lineup. Why not add them as a subtheme of Speed Champions?

On 12/9/2021 at 6:55 PM, Zerobricks said:

:wink: Might be a good challenge to motorize it like @piterx But, yes it would take a lot of torque to get it to speed, though being heavier it may be harder to flip over once it's going.

I can't wait to put my hands on those new wheels and shock absorbers <3 they are big enough to probably fit an RC 2 speed gearbox too :D

Technic digital instructions now use a grey background rather than white for some reason. So basically if you want to print them off it'll use more ink and is now less cost-effective.

16 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Technic digital instructions now use a grey background rather than white for some reason. So basically if you want to print them off it'll use more ink and is now less cost-effective.

Whoa! Thanks for the info. Is this applied for all the legendary sets' (that race truck that pneumatic truck that supercars that shuttle space) instructions as well? Many second hand legendary sets sometimes don't come with physical/printed books. Downloading and then printing them woulda been cool.

29 minutes ago, suffocation said:

But we'za savin' teh plannit!

Oh well, "As you are probably aware, plans for the development of the outlying regions of the galaxy invoke the building of a hyperspace express route through your star system. And your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition."

Here is to Xerox :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

Guys, I dunno where to put this question: as part of my old Technic bikes collection, I was looking forward to buy the 8417 bike. But then today I discovered another bike that looks similar to this- the 8430. Anyone who's been known with both of the sets can tell me what exactly was the difference between them? Based on the model number my intuition says the 8430 was released shortly after the 8417 (quite strange). I also think people are more familiar with the 8417 than they're with the 8430. Is the latter a better or corrected version? I am curious. I now think I'll go for the 8430 instead.

Edited by thekoRngear

3 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

Guys, I dunno where to put this question: as part of my old Technic bikes collection, I was looking forward to buy the 8417 bike. But then today I discovered another bike that looks similar to this- the 8430. Anyone who's been known with both of the sets can tell me what exactly was the difference between them? Based on the model number my intuition says the 8430 was released shortly after the 8417 (quite strange). I also think people are more familiar with the 8417 than they're with the 8430. Is the latter a better or corrected version? I am curious. I now think I'll go for the 8430 instead.

Check out what Blakbird wrote in his Technicopedia:

http://www.technicopedia.com/8417.html

Also, according to Bricklink, these two sets have the same part count. Probably they are the same set.

11 hours ago, thekoRngear said:

One is a re-release of the other, released when Lego was on the doldrums, so they are mostly the same barring any updated part moulds. But for me I'd much prefer to get the first release from 98 as it has the 90s packaging (which nicely displays the pieces under a lift up lid) compared to the new one that comes in a boring cereal box. I'm not sure if there is also a difference in the grey colours (old Vs new grey).

44 minutes ago, allanp said:

One is a re-release of the other, released when Lego was on the doldrums, so they are mostly the same barring any updated part moulds. But for me I'd much prefer to get the first release from 98 as it has the 90s packaging (which nicely displays the pieces under a lift up lid) compared to the new one that comes in a boring cereal box. I'm not sure if there is also a difference in the grey colours (old Vs new grey).

Thanks @allanp and @kolbjha Now I understand it is a re-release. I will definitely go for the original one (8417) after seeing AllanP's reasoning.

BTW guys, my 8838 shock cycle unit has one quite large cool Technic poster. It seems the seller kept the brochure and the poster really well. Howevr, I did not get such poster when I was given my first 8838. This one will surely be going into a frame and will be hanging around my Technic display shelf :sweet:

800x1143.jpg

Another thing I must admit regardless of times, Lego's photography have always been modern. They don't look dated at all!

Oops, I seem to have some keyboard shortcut to submit this that I keep hitting accidentally. I'll edit this to my actual question in a minute...

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

I finished building 8462 tow truck for the first time, and the functional difference between this and modern technic is huge. I now understand why people appreciate old sets more than most newer sets because this model has many functions that work beautifully and manages to look good without covering holes with panels. It saddens me that technic values form over function today.

7 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I finished building 8462 tow truck for the first time, and the functional difference between this and modern technic is huge. I now understand why people appreciate old sets more than most newer sets because this model has many functions that work beautifully and manages to look good without covering holes with panels. It saddens me that technic values form over function today.

I have the same feeling regarding 8868, it's very functional and playable, while managing to look good. The build is also straightforward, and while the pneumatics is complex and challenging, it's not needlessly complicated and you always know what you're doing so no large complex assemblies which purpose are mysterious until very late in the build. The only things I'd improve on would be adding a steering wheel (preferably functional, but I'm not sure if it's possible) and doors with mirrors.