Jim

Technic General Discussion

1 hour ago, ukbajadave said:

Opinions please, 42083 Bugatti or 42115 Lamborghini? Both hovering around the £250 mark at the moment. Intention is to build once then use for MOCs. Is one much more interesting to build? Is one chock full of useful (or useless) parts? 

There are few questions that came to my mind;

- what kind of MOC do you plan to make?

- what color should it be (remember that Bugatti has 2 different colors... oh and Lamborghini has 50 shades of lime)? 

Opinions please, 42083 Bugatti or 42115 Lamborghini? Both hovering around the £250 mark at the moment. Intention is to build once then use for MOCs. Is one much more interesting to build? Is one chock full of useful (or useless) parts? 

I'd pick the Lamborghini, assuming equal prices. The sets are very similar as sets, but once you get into MOCing the Bugatti's two-tone color scheme will prove an annoyance, while the Lamborghini's greater part count will come in handy.

Also, as a set, the Bugatti has problems (front suspension), and the Lambo has slightly more functions (more interesting doors and moveable wing)

That said, I haven't built the Lambo.

Decision made, Lambo ordered :classic:

The appeal of funky doors swung it. 

20 hours ago, 1gor said:

- what kind of MOC do you plan to make?...

A lime green helicopter with really big landing gear

3 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

Then Lambo is your choice (I suppose Xerion doesn't have enough parts needed for your future MOC).

Have fun building it and I'm looking forward when you will present it. :classic:

22 hours ago, 1gor said:

- what kind of MOC do you plan to make?...

Hulls from 42105 will make nice floats for a lime green amphibious heli.

Working on my [TC21] entry, I found myself needing a small yet tight linear clutch that engaged more smoothly than the official one. Inspiration struck, and I built the one seen below:

640x413.png

I haven't seen this design before, though it may have been done, so I thought I'd share it.

I reckon this would work and be more compact, but I don't own the socket part, so I can't test it.

640x395.png

It could maybe also work as a linear clutch/CV joint combo, I guess.

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I reckon this would work and be more compact, but I don't own the socket part, so I can't test it.

Yeah that's a rare part. It comes in 3 'patterns', search bricklink for x1192px1, x1192px2, x1192px3. I have two of the first, and can confirm they have high friction.

11 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Brilliant idea, thank you!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, astyanax said:

Yeah that's a rare part. It comes in 3 'patterns', search bricklink for x1192px1, x1192px2, x1192px3. I have two of the first, and can confirm they have high friction.

I just took a look, and am pleasantly surprised with how cheap they are! They look very useful, so I'll make a point of picking up some should I be ordering from a seller who has them.

Looking at the images on Bricklink, it seems that the rubber continues inside and rubs the ball, adding friction. Is this correct? I had assumed that it was just weird decoration, but maybe not.

Guys, just a few days ago I was browsing Lego on reddit and came across this.

Never knew Lego used to make conductive parts? Wondering what was the reason they are (probably) never used any more?

7 minutes ago, thekoRngear said:

Guys, just a few days ago I was browsing Lego on reddit and came across this.

Never knew Lego used to make conductive parts? Wondering what was the reason they are (probably) never used any more?

Ooh wow! I used to have this exact part. Didn't know what it was for then. As to why they were discontinued: safety issues, possibly. Or maybe TLG just couldn't find a use for them in newer sets.

1 minute ago, Maaboo35 said:

Ooh wow! I used to have this exact part. Didn't know what it was for then. As to why they were discontinued: safety issues, possibly. Or maybe TLG just couldn't find a use for them in newer sets.

Thanks. Was really surprised when discovered that thing :thumbup:

Yeah, I've got a stack of those (2x8, 2x4 and 1x2) that I got years ago at a garage sale. They can be quite useful in anything involving the old 9V system, but nothing like it was ever made for PF, presumably because of the totally different plug design and potential for damage if polarities were reversed.

I just realized the small 1:16 scale licensed cars and the 1:8 supercars are following a very simillar color sequence:

Porsche was orange and so was the Corvette

Chiron was light and dark blue with black and Sienna is blue and black

Sian was lime and so is the Mustang

Coincidence?

6 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Looking at the images on Bricklink, it seems that the rubber continues inside and rubs the ball, adding friction. Is this correct? I had assumed that it was just weird decoration, but maybe not.

Correct, the rubber continues on the inside, but I must say, it doesn't seem to add that much friction as compared to regular ball sockets. Maybe these parts are just getting old. If you want more friction from fresh rubber, try getting some new 74261.

85x85p.jpg

27 minutes ago, astyanax said:

Correct, the rubber continues on the inside, but I must say, it doesn't seem to add that much friction as compared to regular ball sockets. Maybe these parts are just getting old. If you want more friction from fresh rubber, try getting some new 74261.

85x85p.jpg

Oh, cool! I'm obviously not familiar enough with Bionicle parts!

On 12/5/2021 at 3:10 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Working on my [TC21] entry, I found myself needing a small yet tight linear clutch that engaged more smoothly than the official one. Inspiration struck, and I built the one seen below:

<snip>

I haven't seen this design before, though it may have been done, so I thought I'd share it.

<snip>

It could maybe also work as a linear clutch/CV joint combo, I guess.

That's a nice design indeed, but I fear the ball/socket will wear out eventually if used a lot, especially in your CV-joint design, which is why official designs use different kind of clutch mechanism. The standard 24T clutch gear is pretty smooth, though not suitable for all applications.

On 12/6/2021 at 1:08 AM, Zerobricks said:

I just realized the small 1:16 scale licensed cars and the 1:8 supercars are following a very simillar color sequence:

Porsche was orange and so was the Corvette

Chiron was light and dark blue with black and Sienna is blue and black

Sian was lime and so is the Mustang

Coincidence?

I don't think so. Supercar sets tend to use colors that are rarely used, so it can be estimated that they make small sets to supply those colors.

For similar reasons, 1~2 year before launch supercar set, set's color used a lot in some model. Like porsche(orange)'s 42038, bugatti(azure)'s 42070 and 42077. Only Sian(lime) is exception but unlike orange and azure lime used consistently.

Edited by msk6003

Turns out the new City sets are introducing a new color! It seems like a “highlighter yellow” type of color. Maybe it will appear in Technic someday, I sure hope so! It could be used for accents on vehicles.

14 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Turns out the new City sets are introducing a new color! It seems like a “highlighter yellow” type of color. Maybe it will appear in Technic someday, I sure hope so! It could be used for accents on vehicles.

Yep, there's a neon yellow colour coming for emergency vehicles etc. Perhaps we're going to get a proper ambulance set?

36 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Yep, there's a neon yellow colour coming for emergency vehicles etc. Perhaps we're going to get a proper ambulance set?

Would be cool. The best I could do was using the teal parts and white body panels from the robot inventor set.

Functions could be: steering, drive with rear differential, working V6 engine, and rear lift for the stretcher trolleyes/stretchers.

And if I wanted to be ambitious: flashing lights/soundbrick.

IDK how interesting that would be tthough for technic.

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

Would be cool. The best I could do was using the teal parts and white body panels from the robot inventor set.

Functions could be: steering, drive with rear differential, working V6 engine, and rear lift for the stretcher trolleyes/stretchers.

And if I wanted to be ambitious: flashing lights/soundbrick.

IDK how interesting that would be tthough for technic.

Rear lift and the stretcher itself could make a pretty interesting functionality. While it wouldn't break any new ground, I think it would make a fine midrange set - especially considering the minimal functionality with many of the recent sets. I guess you could even add a sliding side-door (I don't think there's ever been a proper Technic van, and those tend to have sliding door on one side).

45 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Rear lift and the stretcher itself could make a pretty interesting functionality. While it wouldn't break any new ground, I think it would make a fine midrange set - especially considering the minimal functionality with many of the recent sets. I guess you could even add a sliding side-door (I don't think there's ever been a proper Technic van, and those tend to have sliding door on one side).

yeah I guess so,