Jim

Technic General Discussion

Decision made! White windscreen, curved pipes and roof spoiler removed.

800x554.jpg

I like the idea of half beams but don't have the parts and as the MOC is almost done I'm too lazy to place another order for something I'll take apart in a week or two.

Looking at the previous photo I posted I don't like the gap the round plate studs create which leads me to another question, is this legal?

800x788.jpg

It does feel kinda that I am the one asking this, but do we have a dedicated Control+ topic? :tongue:

Hello all,

I have a question for you. As this forum is Technic and Model Team, what constitutes a model team MOC?

Recently I have been moving away from Technic. I'm not a fan of the 'close all gaps with panels' way of building. I like to see the guts of Technic models. I like to see what's happening inside and see the mechanisms working. I think the Porsche 911 GT3 was a turning point for me. Why add a gear box and functioning piston engine if you can't see it working?

I know building realistic and life like models is hard and I can appreciate and respect the people who can create amazing work. The Technic forum seems to dominated by car MOC's that look slick, but I miss the bare bones look of the 90's and 00's models. Yes, I might be looking at them through rose tinted glasses. But hey, I'm getting older! 

I have been building MOC's with 'system' elements more and more recently. focusing on looks that I think are better suited to regular bricks rather than panels. I really enjoy building the creator expert cars and I know they can't really be classed as Model Team, but their functions are getting more innovative incorporating many Technic pieces.   

So I guess my question is, how much Technic and how many functions should a Model Team MOC have? And is this forum the right place for them?   

There is a dedicated topic for your question. Need to look it up.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

There is a dedicated topic for your question. Need to look it up.

Oh. Ok. Sorry Jim.

Thanks Jim. That's an interesting read. 

I asked the original question because I've made an MOC that I don't really know where to post. It's not quite finished yet, but I think it might fit the scale model forum more than the technic one. I'll post it over there when I'm done and see what happens! ? 

9 hours ago, Oliver 79 said:

Thanks Jim. That's an interesting read. 

I asked the original question because I've made an MOC that I don't really know where to post. It's not quite finished yet, but I think it might fit the scale model forum more than the technic one. I'll post it over there when I'm done and see what happens! ? 

If you can show us a preview picture, we can judge right now :sweet:

21 hours ago, Oliver 79 said:

Hello all,

I have a question for you. As this forum is Technic and Model Team, what constitutes a model team MOC?

Recently I have been moving away from Technic. I'm not a fan of the 'close all gaps with panels' way of building. I like to see the guts of Technic models. I like to see what's happening inside and see the mechanisms working. I think the Porsche 911 GT3 was a turning point for me. Why add a gear box and functioning piston engine if you can't see it working?

I know building realistic and life like models is hard and I can appreciate and respect the people who can create amazing work. The Technic forum seems to dominated by car MOC's that look slick, but I miss the bare bones look of the 90's and 00's models. Yes, I might be looking at them through rose tinted glasses. But hey, I'm getting older! 

I have been building MOC's with 'system' elements more and more recently. focusing on looks that I think are better suited to regular bricks rather than panels. I really enjoy building the creator expert cars and I know they can't really be classed as Model Team, but their functions are getting more innovative incorporating many Technic pieces.   

So I guess my question is, how much Technic and how many functions should a Model Team MOC have? And is this forum the right place for them?   

For the functions of the Porsche, personally I think it's enough that you as the builder know they are there and know they are working to warrant the functions presence. It would be cool to see them working for sure but I wouldn't say that a function is without any merit at all if you can't see it working.

I have wondered about the modern creator sets and if they can be considered model team. I remember model team being highly detailed, predominantly brick based with a studded technic chassis and working steering. So if a creator car, like the 89 batmobile and the Mustang has all those things then is it right to say model team (or at least it's spirit) is alive and well in those vehicles?

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, allanp said:

I have wondered about the modern creator sets and if they can be considered model team. I remember model team being highly detailed, predominantly brick based with a studded technic chassis and working steering. So if a creator car, like the 89 batmobile and the Mustang has all those things then is it right to say model team (or at least it's spirit) is alive and well in those vehicles?

Oh totally, I agree with that. They're totally worthy of Model Team status

2 hours ago, allanp said:

you as the builder know they are there and know they are working to warrant the functions presence.

Yeah, I do get that. But I prefer to see it in action after the build. 

And imagine showing a friend the finished Porsche:

Me: check out this cool model. It has gears, moving pistons and everything! 

Friend: oh really. That's pretty cool, can you show me how it works? 

Me: um... No. Sorry....  *huh* :laugh: 

I have been thinking about getting a new Technic set recently and I keep looking at 42100.  It is worth $450? 

A few things hold me back from getting it

1. The transition from Power Functions to Power Up,  I did not really want to get into the new function stuff. 
  2. I do not typically build with white, so that bulk of the part count would just sit in the collection
  3. The longer LAs and black ring gear would be nice. 

Maybe someone has a different recommendation of a set to get?  Or something to convince me 42100 is the move.

Did anyone see the April fools joke Nathan pulled on Rebrickable? He put a front page article stating that Guangdong Loongon (the holding owning Lepin) had acquired Rebrickable, and was now owner of the website and all MOC designs and contents therein... Got me scared sh*tless for a few moments:head_back:

Well following on from the above post in a sense is that there are some very nice b and c models being posted lately but it’s the b models that really get me a bit sad because of the lack of official one. Makes me not want to buy sets in a way. 

That’s not a new conversation of course but I wonder if so many alternate builds on rebrickable have influenced the lack of official b models. Cheaper to produce sets and more sets can be churned out. 

So my point in all this is will LEGO end up wanting to buy rebrickable...Getting income from MOC’ers to make b models for them :laugh:

It would also be a perfect platform for guys like Milan (Grohl) to release their alternate builds. Charge a few bucks for instructions and TLG scores a double...

Wouldn't necessarely be a totally bad thing though...

7 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Wouldn't necessarely be a totally bad thing though...

What, TLG buying Rebrickable? Of course it would

Hi guys! Does anybody could point me out to good examples of rubber-band suspension?

Apparently Markus Kossman has a new title now: Design Master. I think it's the ultimate top position in terms of design.

On 9/28/2019 at 1:09 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Numbers of sets with no B model through the years:

2012: 0

2013: 0

2014: 0

2015: 0

2016: 1

2017: 0

2018: 1

2019: FOUR!!!

2020: FIVE so far already (42107, 42108, 42109, 42111, 42115). I think 42113 and 42114 will join the group.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

19 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

2020: FIVE so far already (42107, 42108, 42109, 42111, 42115). I think 42113 and 42114 will join the group.

2013 also had one, the 41999.

Disturbing trend though.

Guess it's quite clear where we are heading.

Would be interesting to see though what the number of online available community alternates are per year. I notice lately that community spawns at least 5 quality alternates PER SET for Technic. If that is an increase over let's say the last 5-10 years, than TLG has chosen the right thing from a business perspective. Hence their near obsessive drive to 'engage with the community' (remember the press release when they bought Bricklink? No word about profit, only blabla about getting closer to community)...

Above might come across a bit sour, but that was not my intention, it's just how I see it.