TeddytheSpoon

[MOC] Tri-Wing S-91x Pegasus Starfighter

Hi all,

I'd like to present my latest MOC of a Star Wars ship that, er, hasn't ever been in Star Wars...

50731698933_b84512f9e0_z.jpgTri-Wing S-91x Pegasus MOC by TeddytheSpoon, on Flickr

The Tri-Wing S-91x Pegasus Starfighter is a concept ship that was developed as a collaboration between Lucasfilm and German car manufacturer Porsche's respective design teams. I believe it was originally intended to be in the background of the Battle of Exegol, and the concept art was released to promote the film; although for whatever reason, it doesn't appear to be in the film. (That's only hearsay, by the way, I'm not 100% sure if that's true!)

50732429636_bec8d1069f_z.jpgTri-Wing S-91x Pegasus MOC by TeddytheSpoon, on Flickr

The final design uses just over 1300 pieces, and the process was a real mixed bag. The central fuselage came together nicely and I'm very pleased with the cockpit area in particular, but I spent so long trying to find a decent SNOT solution for the wings that I eventually gave up and went with wedge plates. I don't think the result looks too bad though!

50731699083_f7c1170f8d_z.jpgTri-Wing S-91x Pegasus MOC by TeddytheSpoon, on Flickr

While I think the model is a decent representation of a pretty obscure ship (there's only half a dozen or so pictures that actually exist of this thing), I'll probably continue working on this - I think the landing gear in particular could use some work as it's pretty flimsy. I've also done some experimentation with luminous bricks for the first time, so I will likely do some moody darker renders next to bring them to the fore.

Let me know what you think of this strange ship!

I'm not a big fan of the in-universe design, but this model almost redeems it. You use some very creative techniques in the fuselage and especially the engines (are those car mudguard pieces turned vertical at the end of the engines? Genius!) The shape of the model is well-captured here, and the cockpit detailing is well above that of most mocs.

19 hours ago, sovietxrobot said:

great model. you are right, the cockpit especially looks great.

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm not a big fan of the in-universe design, but this model almost redeems it. You use some very creative techniques in the fuselage and especially the engines (are those car mudguard pieces turned vertical at the end of the engines? Genius!) The shape of the model is well-captured here, and the cockpit detailing is well above that of most mocs.

I'm not exactly crazy about the design either, but as a car nerd I thought the idea of a Star Wars ship with touches of real-world vehicles (in this case the Porsche Taycan... Apparently) is really neat. I did consider doing the redesign that EC Henry did for it as @JaCor653 suggested, but that doesn't look right to me either; that said he did do a video on his design process which is a good watch. And yes, they are mudguards!

2 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

Where is he from ?

It's essentially a piece of concept art that Porsche and Lucasfilm collaborated on. To my knowledge it hasn't appeared in any Star Wars media aside from the press release for the aforementioned collaboration, but it has its own Wookieepiedia page so that's good enough for me!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

17 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I'm not exactly crazy about the design either, but as a car nerd I thought the idea of a Star Wars ship with touches of real-world vehicles (in this case the Porsche Taycan... Apparently) is really neat. I did consider doing the redesign that EC Henry did for it as @JaCor653 suggested, but that doesn't look right to me either; that said he did do a video on his design process which is a good watch. And yes, they are mudguards!

I've seen that video! I agree his feels a bit off, too, he mentions that he tried to make it feel like star wars since the original model doesn't seem lived-in, but I don't think he fully manages to "fix" it, if it indeed can be fixed. It's definitely an interesting and complex design though, and you capture the details well in the model. Knew it was the mugards, and I've just now realized..hero factory armor plates?!? GENIUS!

I hate to necro an old thread - but I have now built this monster in real life. Seeing it appear in Kenobi (which made me do a literal double-take) was just the push I needed to finish it. (I also had no idea it had been two years (!) since I designed this thing. Time flies.)

52481649494_b314085fd4_c.jpgTri-wing S-91x Pegasus by TeddytheSpoon, on Flickr

First of all - please excuse the gross stickers on the windscreen. This is a 15 euro part, but I found a U-wing for 40 euro, so I took it. For now it just means I have to live with the stickers.

52481649394_f8ccac026b_c.jpgTri-wing S-91x Pegasus by TeddytheSpoon, on Flickr

I didn't have to make many structural changes relative to the digital model, which was something of a surprise to me. The front landing gear does need a stay to prevent the ship from faceplanting, and the engine intakes had some minor tweaks, but on the whole it's pretty sturdy.

I'm not finished with this - my first port of call is to add some LED lighting, which will require a bit of disassembly and some careful wiring. Down the line there are some more changes needed as well. I don't mind studs in a model, but I do think the wings in particular could be smoother. More egregiously, despite being a three-seater, minifigs can't actually fit in the rear seats due to a lack of arm- and head-room.

These are likely to be fairly wholesale changes though, so check back in two years for the next update...

11 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

Wow, it looks even better IRL than it does in the renders!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, LordsofMedieval said:

Interesting ship - great model.

What part of the design were they intending to be 'tri'...? I see only 2 wings.

Good question. Maybe they'd argue the fuselage is the third wing? Mind you the y-wing or a-wing arguably don't have any wings, so I won't lose sleep over it! :laugh:

The casing around the front blasters looks really neat, I like your solution of the flags, especially the trapezoid ones that taper back to the fuselage.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:44 PM, BarfolomewMog said:

The casing around the front blasters looks really neat, I like your solution of the flags, especially the trapezoid ones that taper back to the fuselage.

I chose those mainly to keep it thin and while I'm content with the effect, part of me is wondering if there's a better solution to reflect the more rounded curves of the real thing.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:59 PM, MKJoshA said:

The end result looks really good!

Thank you - very kind to consider it and end result! There's always room for improvement in my mind :laugh:

16 minutes ago, obijon said:

Excellent work.  As this is now canon I can now build this in MINI form.........

Please do! I'd love to see what you can do with it.

First ship I've seen that makes sense for space. There's so many Support-Dreadnought conceptions, and starfighters that do not have this wing set, nor the built behind it making it a fighter - instead of a cruiser thing. The only things close to that fantasy that I can like, but still would prefer to see something like this happen to be like the Delta-7 Jedi Starfighters, the red of the Imperial Royal Guard's TIE Interceptor may be something I admire for it itself, too, I'm unsure but it snuck in here in this place as I was going to say the Batman Beyond batplane next.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Nice stellar coloring, too, totally not a warehouse scheme.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:07 PM, TeddytheSpoon said:

Please do! I'd love to see what you can do with it.

Voila!  Not wanting to hijack your thread so only posting one picture here.  More on my Obiwan thread along with a couple more new models.

TriWing1.JPG

Edited by obijon

Hi there, I really fell in love with your design and wanted to ask if it was possible to find/make available a parts list for it ? Again, really impressed with it and huge congrats.

17 hours ago, Guzzyor said:

Hi there, I really fell in love with your design and wanted to ask if it was possible to find/make available a parts list for it ? Again, really impressed with it and huge congrats.

Thank you! I think I do have a parts list somewhere - I might even have the studio file, I will check later.

That said, I am working on an updated version with a slightly better front end or I was, until I got distracted by other projects!). I may have some time to work on it over the holiday period if you're willing to wait a few more weeks!

There's also a cockpit piece in one of the new Friends sets that would be a perfect fit for this ship - if only it came in trans-clear... So here's hoping that comes soon!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

58 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Thank you! I think I do have a parts list somewhere - I might even have the studio file, I will check later.

That said, I am working on an updated version with a slightly better front end or I was, until I got distracted by other projects!). I may have some time to work on it over the holiday period if you're willing to wait a few more weeks!

There's also a cockpit piece in one of the new Friends sets that would be a perfect fit for this ship - if only it came in trans-clear... So here's hoping that comes soon!

That's nice, hope you'll do it because I'm really interested to build this one 😁

Allright, I'm excited to see that and also to see this piece you mentioned for the cockpit. I understand the pain but yeah there's hope 🙌🏼

Looking forward to all of this ! Have a nice week.