Jim

[TC19] Technic Motorbike Contest - Information Topic

This is the first contest to start since I joined the forum, so I am excited to participate this time!

11 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Believe or not I had just asked for a Ducati to Santa, I do not like specially bikes but I think it is a cheap set piece for piece so I will have wheels if Santa wants...

Me too! If I don't get it, I may run into issues for the contest...

Wow, onto the second page of comments about trying to bend the rules... let's just build a motorbike with two wheels people! How hard can it be... 

-:angry: takes a few deeeep breaths...:sadnew: -

Anyway... like TC15 this is a nice stretch from my usual comfort zone, so count me in. Just spend about 15 minutes tinkering this morning, and I think I'm rollin' now:grin:.

Thanks @Jim and others that contributed for kicking off another contest:thumbup:

8 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Last question about number of wheels....

Is monobike is allowed?

You can build a monobike with two wheels or a monobike with two wheels and a sidecar :tongue:

9 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

This is the first contest to start since I joined the forum, so I am excited to participate this time!

Me too! If I don't get it, I may run into issues for the contest...

I hope you get it in time and nice to see you joining.

So let me summarize some of the questions.

Can I build a trike?
Yes, you can build a trike with two wheels or a trike with two wheels and a sidecar (wheels need to be touching the road).

Can I build a quad?
Yes, you can build a quad with two wheels or a quad with two wheels and a sidecar (wheels need to be touching the road).

Can I build a hoverbike?
Yes, you can build a hoverbike with two wheels or a hoverbike with two wheels and a sidecar (wheels need to be touching the road).

Can I build a monobike?
Yes, you can build a monobike with two wheels or a monobike with two wheels and a sidecar (wheels need to be touching the road).

I hope this makes the rules easier to understand. Happy building!

P.S. And if you're wondering whether you can make a plane or a 6x6 trial truck?
You can, as long as it's a motorbike with two wheels or a motorbike with two wheels and a sidecar and the wheels need to be touching the road.

20 minutes ago, Jim said:

... think of clouds, soft plushy clouds, like little sheep darting around a meadow...

...take deep breaths... 

...relax...

...feel the clouds...

...you are the clouds...

You do mean clouds with two wheels or clouds with two wheels and a sidecar, right?! :grin:

Just now, Lasse D said:

I'm so happy that the rules allow for a Segway, Velo Solex, and even the Gyro-X!

O no, you didn't :tongue:

Oh my, new contest, time for another neverfinished WIP :snicker:

No idea whatsoever what to build though, hopefully will put something together while on uni break, thanks so much for your dedication to organize this competition!

5 minutes ago, Lipko said:

Do the wheels have to be circular? Or any other shapes are allowed?

They can be any shape, as long as they are circular.

Well I am very happy that I dont have any suitable wheels or shocks. That means you cant tempt me with this :tongue: I already have too many projects and ideas on my own :laugh_hard:

On 12/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, Jim said:

At least one image of the chassis, so take a pic where we can see the chassis before you close the bodywork.

Ehhhm Jim, is this rule a leftover from TC18 text, or do we have to provide a chassis picture of the motorbike this time too?

I'm fine either way, just checking...

Cool to see the competition finally launched. Looking forward to seeing all the entries develop. I probably won't be joining (as in, building an entry) because I will not be near my Lego for most of January (besides, I don't have the wheels). Which is too bad, because I liked the challenge as it's not too daunting but still outside my comfort zone. But oh well. I'll check out the other entries :) Good luck to all! :D

Edited by Erik Leppen

Has anyone ever noticed how stupid the words "monobike" and "quad bike" are? If we assume that "bike" is short for "bicycle," these two words literally mean "one-two-wheel" and "four-two-wheel"! At least "tricycle" is logical...

5 hours ago, Newest_Tech320 said:

sounds cool, but I don't know how to build motorbikes, so I guess I will just look around.

Me neither but I’m going to have a go. You should too, I figure a good way to learn is to do this comp. 

worst case, build half a car.

Just wanna chime in that you dont need to base the model on a fancy real life motorbike to make it appealing. A fellow from my country (https://www.flickr.com/photos/khanglego) built this. 

49718870663_48ee405c9b_b.jpg

The real motobike is common as dirt in my country, but the model is stunning nonetheless.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Is there a restriction or recommended dimensions for the bike?

What about making a studio project for the renders and building a prototype that shows working functionality if I don't want to buy specific bricks in valid colours as long as the model has parts in existing colours?

There is no dimension restriction but the entry should be built with real bricks. No pictures of digital entries.