Yup, with the newer diffs and smaller tyres this should have more force than 42099 with modified gearing. In addition to that, with the motors being hard coupled and the drive train being more realistic (sans gearbox) all of that force can be directed to the axle with most grip, instead of wasting the power of one of the motors spinning an axle with no grip. So with a more realistic drive train leading to better off road performance this is a big improvement over 42099, which I still say was better than the previous crawler if only for the planetary reduction hubs that it gave us (although the previous crawler did give us the servo motor and L motor). 

Having said that, as much as I like the design of the Zetros (and let's not forget the awesome new wheels at a perfect size to go with the previous tractor wheels :wub:), the price of PU is still kinda rediculous. It's a definite purchase for me but knowing it will be discounted somewhere eventually means I can wait for a good price.

I just figured out how the rear diff lock works.

The 20 blue tooth clucth gear is used as a straight and a bevel gear at once. The straight part powers a 12 tooth gear which turns the wave selector. The gear itself is powered perpendiculary by a half a stud 12 tooth bevel gear. This way one of the differential outputs axles is used as axle to transfer the torque from the CV joints to the wave selector. The only thing you have to be careful is to limit the wave selector movement so the diff lock doesn't engage the 20 tooth clutch gear which would cause the wave selector to turn along with that drive side.

A very smart and a brilliant solution, kudos to Grohl!

There's a 90-degree limit for the wave selector in the chassis

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Ackerman steering geometry detected! The steering arm is also extended using an +o beam, which makes them the same length and geometry of the 8880 and test car steering arms, which were the best ones. So that's another plus for the Zetros. 

Well half the World anyway, lol. Funny how I am actually looking forward to this set review, usually I don't get so impatient for reviews.

Rear axle assembly from 18:00 and centre diff at the beginning. It´s the same system as the supercar sequential gearbox using the orange piece to engage and disengage the lock.

Edited by valenciaeric

The two L motors are hard-coupled directly to the old style 4L differential, at the 24z end.

The drive train design is simply: L Motor -> 24/24 (center differential mesh) -> a bunch of 16/16 -> 12/28 (axle differential mesh)

The differential lock design is more interesting:

M Motor -> 16/16 -> 8/24 -> 16/20 (central lock)

M Motor -> 16/16 -> 8/24 -> 16/16 -> 16/20 -> 16/16 -> 12/12 perpendicularly -> 12/20 (blue clutch 20) -> 20/12

Very interesting design to synchronize the rotation speed of the two locks.

Front axle has a panhard rod.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

This looks a pretty interesting build - was this ever really 6x6? Looking at how resolved this design is, it looks unlikely. There was some negativity on the thread relating to it having 'only' 2 axles... a great example of why its best to wait and see before poo-pooing!

Definite buy for me.

2 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

This looks a pretty interesting build - was this ever really 6x6? Looking at how resolved this design is, it looks unlikely. There was some negativity on the thread relating to it having 'only' 2 axles... a great example of why its best to wait and see before poo-pooing!

Definite buy for me.

Good question. It was a 6x6 in early leaked images but no idea if it had similar functionality. But you are right, it doesn't like like an axle was just removed, but like it was designed to be 4x4 all along. Maybe this 4x4 version was started again from scratch?

48 minutes ago, allanp said:

Good question. It was a 6x6 in early leaked images but no idea if it had similar functionality. But you are right, it doesn't like like an axle was just removed, but like it was designed to be 4x4 all along. Maybe this 4x4 version was started again from scratch?

I think Markus Kossmann explained it in an interview, that when the designers settled for a model, they build different versions (scale, mechanics, colour, etc.) and then select one to improve on further. In some designer interviews the different models and/or iterations can be seen in the background. The 6x6 surely lurks around on a side board in the workplace of @grohl ;-)

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

a great example of why its best to wait and see before poo-pooing!

☝ This.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Maybe this 4x4 version was started again from scratch?

There are some design choices from the 6x6 that have been retained here, like the front bumper, the front axle housing and the cabin, so it does look like the 6x6 version was heavily modified rather than being scrapped completely.

2 hours ago, Jundis said:

I think Markus Kossmann explained it in an interview

This set looks to be a credit to Mr Kossmann (assuming he was the designer?). Eagerly awaiting the reviews, but from what i've seen the build looks pretty enjoyable and the end result seems excellent.

1 minute ago, TeamThrifty said:

This set looks to be a credit to Mr Kossmann (assuming he was the designer?). Eagerly awaiting the reviews, but from what i've seen the build looks pretty enjoyable and the end result seems excellent.

No, Milan Reindl designed this set.

Wow.... no reviews yet?  Its okay, I can wait, this isn't a reflection of impatience as much as it is a comment trying to understand how the release of videos and embargo process works.  I thought folks who have the model would be chomping at the bit to get reviews out like midnight on the 16th or something....

9 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

He's the one and only @grohl.

Learn something every day. (not Milan the mod then? Very confusing...!!)

I like builds that feel like proper technic. Claas really disappointed me, very fiddly building random bits. This build looks great, proper technic. Like the BWE, awesome build.. and Arocs. Also an awesome build.

I should look-up who designs what, perhaps my favourite builds align with certain designers.

I've often been quite outspoken about the very loud (minority) slating sets long before they've been released. Claiming they could do better (42082 anyone?! Still never seen the better version have we?!!), and I also commented that it must be awful for any TLG employees who view the forum sometimes - I never realised that a technic designer was actually on here. Maximum respect to @grohl .. Skill, professionalism and a quiet dignity!! A better man than me!!

7 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Wow.... no reviews yet?  Its okay, I can wait, this isn't a reflection of impatience as much as it is a comment trying to understand how the release of videos and embargo process works.  I thought folks who have the model would be chomping at the bit to get reviews out like midnight on the 16th or something....

I think that reviews were mentioned to be published after 15:00 CET; so some 45+ minutes and then counting :wink:

1 minute ago, TeamThrifty said:

not Milan the mod then? Very confusing...!!

Eurobricks doesn't observe the One Steve rule. :wink:

3 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

I never realised that a technic designer was actually on here.

I wouldn't be any surprised at all if more LEGO designers visited the forum, they're just not frequent posters as Milan (the designer, not the mod).

9 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

The embargo has not only a date, but also an hour.

1 minute ago, I_Igor said:

I think that reviews were mentioned to be published after 15:00 CET; so some 45+ minutes and then counting :wink:

Ahhh... THxs!

4 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

I like builds that feel like proper technic. Claas really disappointed me, very fiddly building random bits. This build looks great, proper technic. Like the BWE, awesome build.. and Arocs. Also an awesome build.

I should look-up who designs what, perhaps my favourite builds align with certain designers.

I've often been quite outspoken about the very loud (minority) slating sets long before they've been released. Claiming they could do better (42082 anyone?! Still never seen the better version have we?!!), and I also commented that it must be awful for any TLG employees who view the forum sometimes - I never realised that a technic designer was actually on here. Maximum respect to @grohl .. Skill, professionalism and a quiet dignity!! A better man than me!!

I can agree on the overall sentiment that Lego builders do a great job.  They also have tons of restrictions placed on them we know nothing about.  That being said....

I gave up after the Chiron, so I don't know about the Sian. But both 42082 and 42056 were fixed (gearbox and suspension issues), literally in just a matter of weeks (days for 42056 by Paul Boratko) by AFOLs.  Same with 42110.  I could go on and on..... 

37 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Not the same :classic:
Milan Reindl a.k.a. Grohl is a master of building.
Milan a.k.a. Milan the mod is a master of annoying new members with the rules regarding their posting, bumping, grammar etc... :blush::wink:

TLG employees do visit the forum, too.

12 minutes ago, Milan said:

Not the same :classic:
Milan Reindl a.k.a. Grohl is a master of building.
Milan a.k.a. Milan the mod is a master of annoying new members with the rules regarding their posting, bumping, grammar etc... :blush::wink:

TLG employees do visit the forum, too.

Wether I have Alzheimer or @TeamThrifty is not a new member :wink:

(I hoped that he could find the difference by now)