1 minute ago, Milan said:

Here is the exact moment in the video:

https://youtu.be/79D3CKEjZ1k?t=440

As said, not much info about why.

I did not see the model before the interview and with that video feed quality it was impossible to see tiny details so I did to see the screws that time, couldn't ask about it. Will try to reach out to someone at LEGO to get some information, but I'll be definitely able to share more in the review.

Since there is an apparent central diff lock, this must mean it is 4-wheel-drive. (Just stating the obvious) 

Doesn't this mean that there should be 2 axles running on the front axle? One for steering and one for driving? Or are they using a complex linkage setup? Is there any information about this on the box, or any pictures of such? 

14 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Since there is an apparent central diff lock, this must mean it is 4-wheel-drive. (Just stating the obvious) 

Doesn't this mean that there should be 2 axles running on the front axle? One for steering and one for driving? Or are they using a complex linkage setup? Is there any information about this on the box, or any pictures of such? 

The steering motor is located directly above the axle and under the fake motor. As for the 4WD, the red circle marks the axle going forward to drive the front axle:

800x391.png

Edited by Andman

44 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Is the steering motor on the axle or on the chassis (suspended or unsuspended)?

In the video Grohl says it’s in the front axle

Regarding the gearing, the planetary hubs are 1:5.5 and the new diffs are 12:28. Depending on what’s between the motors and the diffs (dunno whether there’s a centre diff), we’re looking at a drivetrain gear ratio of at most 1:12.83

So it's confirmed to have two hard coupled drive motors (creating a single more powerful "engine"), mounted in the main body of the truck (as opposed to being axle mounted), driving prop shafts that drive the axles which themselves have plenty of gear reduction, making this model a very capable crawler. This is all much better and much more realistic than 42099, thank you Grohl! This is now on my wanted list. Further improvements for me would be addition of realistic gearbox and moving the motors closer to where the real engine would be, like having a motor placed each side of the fake engine (looking kinda like two massive alternators). But as it is it's still a big improvement over every previous crawler to date. Well done! :thumbup: Excited to get this one for sure.

This set looks amazing and the climbing performance looks great, it is on my list for sure. (Though not till a good deal though as 500AUD is WAY too much)

31 minutes ago, 992bricks said:

This set looks amazing and the climbing performance looks great, it is on my list for sure. (Though not till a good deal though as 500AUD is WAY too much)

Yeah, besides my general disinterest in trial trucks (to preface, isn't a negative opinion of the set), the $500AUD price is the only thing making me see the set negatively. I would've expected this to cost the same as the Volvo loader.

Edited by Bartybum

The specification (hard coupled driving motors and remotely lockable differential, which is something new in LEGO Technic) and climbing capabilities make this model interesting to me. Even though I liked better the preliminary configuration (6x6), it is back on my wanted list. 

Edited by Interceptor

10 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I probably need to trawl through the video to find out the answer to this question, but I can't be arsed: What was wrong with the previous hatch?

I like to dream big, impossible things, so in my dreams that screw-in hatch is a prelude to a rechargeable battery unit, which can be placed in the place of AA batteries and screwed in place, with a charger inlet somewhere so that you only need to plug it into a charger without the need to take anything off the model once built.

Not expecting anything like this to actually happen though.

As for the set itself, it appears to be much better than I expected, but far too expensive for my taste and I'm not really that interested in RC vehicles. Still, unless something truly abysmal is revealed by the official reviews, it seems that we're finally getting a properly realistic larger-scale Technic RC car (well, as far as can be expected anyway, with current motors and gearbox parts etc.)

Now if only there was a physical remote...

8 hours ago, pleegwat said:

Is the steering motor on the axle or on the chassis (suspended or unsuspended)?

Based on this photo I'd say it is sitting on the front axle so it's suspended.

Is the $500 AUD (about $380 usd) price for Australia on the Mercedes confirmed?! If so, that is ridiculous!! It should cost roughly the same as the Volvo hauler which also has control + elements and is $120AUD less. *huh*

20 minutes ago, User5346 said:

Is the $500 AUD (about $380 usd) price for Australia on the Mercedes confirmed?! If so, that is ridiculous!! It should cost roughly the same as the Volvo hauler which also has control + elements and is $120AUD less. *huh*

Yeah I think it's confirmed from leaked info. If it's true then the value just isn't there, full stop. It seems like a totally arbitrary cost increase. For comparison with the Volvo, the Zetros has:

• Fewer pieces (albeit a small amount, so this is largely arbitrary)
  • One fewer function
  • Fewer and smaller wheels
  • One extra dumb motor
  • Springs
  • Planetary hubs instead of portal hubs
  • One fewer diff

The springs, planetary hubs and extra dumb motor just don't explain a $120AUD increase in any world. I could pay about $40 and get the four planetary hubs and springs to match (not even subtracting the cost of all the portal hubs). It's a real shame, but I think that consumers will agree. I reckon we'll eventually see this set available for $300AUD :laugh:, or maybe even $270 on rare occasions.

Edited by Bartybum

Yeah the price is rather painful. Smyth's in the UK often have good deals which will make this an easier purchase. 

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I reckon we'll eventually see this set available for $300AUD :laugh:, or maybe even $270 on rare occasions.

I’m pretty sure the Volvo dropped to $150 on Amazon at one point so yeah $300 for the zetros seems likely!

6 minutes ago, User5346 said:

I’m pretty sure the Volvo dropped to $150 on Amazon at one point so yeah $300 for the zetros seems likely!

I don't know for certain, but if it is $500AUD, then I don't think TLG have shown that much greed before. It'd be even worse than when 42070 came out.

EDIT: Looking on the set listing on Brickset, the price is $300USD, which is ~$400AUD. If that's the case then the set may only be $450 if accounting for GST. If we're lucky then it'll only be $400 (which I'll add is still too much for me to consider buying).

Edited by Bartybum

4 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I don't know for certain, but if it is $500AUD, then I don't think TLG have shown that much greed before. It's even worse than when 42070 came out.

It's £55 worse over here! :facepalm:

Edited by Maaboo35

Sorry I'm obsessing over the Australian price, but it's interesting. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much it'll be. On one hand, it's $300USD, which is ~$400AUD. On the other hand, it's also 400EUR, which is ~$470AUD. The set could be anywhere from $400 (likelier $450) to $500.

EDIT: I've found a listing from Hobbyco, which lists it for $499.99. Given small retailers always sell for RRP, I think we're out of luck here

Edited by Bartybum

13 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

which lists it for $499.9

Wow that price is just silly! Please no one (at least in Australia) but this set at RRP! I would say it’s one of the most overpriced sets of all time?!