I can use many of those parts, glad to see them, also since I just hit $100 on my VIP I will probably use it too. Just the sort of set I have been waiting for, yay.

It will be interesting to see how this thing looks inside and whether or not it actually has decent performance.

Definitely like it a little better now official pictures and description have been released, as usual.

Photos don’t change my opinion of the set (still don’t care for trial trucks, would’ve far preferred a 6x6 pneumatic crane truck with RC drive), but Grohl’s definitely done a hell of a job designing this given the constraints he has to work with, and that’s without even taking into account the redesign from 6x6 to 4x4.

3 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Nowhere does it say 45°. The box advertises 60-80% which means 31-39° only.

Maybe it is just "advertisement" for differential lock :wink:

Maybe I will wrong but in my eyes rader/airfilter thing on up-left side of cabin use 2 metallic silver wedge belt wheel.

If this part up on the top of the box, does that means its a print? I have seen printed parts shown here but never ones with stickers before so does this mean that we have some printed parts in this set?

Screenshot 2021-07-02 105443 (2).png

2 hours ago, 992bricks said:

we have some printed parts in this set?

It's a sticker. The edges are visible in the high-res image.

3 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

I think it's ducking fantastic, what's with the duck on the front bumper?

What do you want to get as an answer?
Is it supposed somebody should investigate this duck? :laugh:

How about "Duck + 50 to price")? :D

Edited by Aleh

9 hours ago, LvdH said:

The article I linked mentioned a "sperdifferentieel", which translates to "limited slip differential". Either the translation is off or the wave selector doesn't lock the differentials.

I am from germany and the dutch language is pretty similar to german. The related german word is "Sperrdifferential" an the correct translation to english would be "locking differential". 

1 hour ago, Frequenzberater said:

I am from germany and the dutch language is pretty similar to german. The related german word is "Sperrdifferential" an the correct translation to english would be "locking differential". 

I thought so too, it seems obvious, but appearently a "Sperrdifferential" or "Selbstsperrdifferentialgetriebe" is basically an LSD and a "Differentialsperre" is a lockable diff. Weird but okay.

Edited by Gray Gear

Maybe its also changed on the inside, e.g. with a position encoder so that it can act like a servo

16 minutes ago, Rebel_Lego said:

Maybe its also changed on the inside, e.g. with a position encoder so that it can act like a servo

I doubt, or else there would be no need for the safety clutch. 

I also doubt, as there's already the 26913 with relative position encoding (like NXT/EV3 motors) but not absolute positioning (unlike most PUp linear and angular motors).

I think that it is just a simple M motor that will lock rear axle differential. I suspect there is another strong clutch in drivetrain between axles. Or maybe even power from 2 L motor goes to drivetrain that is protected by another strong clutch so customers will not call to LEGO service with broken pieces after driving.

14 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

You can see an orange wave selector on the rear axle, meaning it can be locked.

On which image do you see that? I can't seem to find it..

1 hour ago, Rebel_Lego said:

I was also hoping for this, but it seems from the images that it's just the same Wedo motor, which I don't think is so great for technic builds (fairly limited mounting options).

I have been wondering what a detailed gearbox could mean, and how it could be solved without proper position encoding. But now I am guessing a 2-speed gearbox with mechanical end stops and a clutch gear for protection. More than two speeds would not be possible without position encoding I think. One thing I could imagine is that switching to low gear also locks a differential at the same time (no need for extra motor).

lego-technic-2hy-2021-42129-0002.jpg

In the last frame in the bottom row there's a lock symbol between the two axles, so there might be some differential locking mechanism. But I'm not sure if that's the locking for the central differential (if there is any) or the axle differential.

Also, can anyone enlighten me why a locking differential is needed for climbing slopes? I thought climbing slopes needs torque instead, and locking differential is for traveling on rocky, slippery or in general off-road surface.

Maybe during a climb the weight shifts to the rear wheels and, without a central diff lock, all the power goes to the slipping front wheels?

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Looks like the M-motor is merely a recolour of this:

Now I'm not even sure it's recoloured. On the photos posted by @Ngoc Nguyen where it's partially built and has proper lighting, it seems pretty white and LBG to me. I'd say on the other image it seems darker because of lack of lighting.

3 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

In the last frame in the bottom row there's a lock symbol between the two axles, so there might be some differential locking mechanism.

Thanks, I did not catch that. Based on that I'd guess locking of central diff, as that's simplest to implement (no need to transfer the (locker) motor drive to the live axle).

5 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Maybe the central diff locks automatically when shifting from high to low gear.

Or the accelerometer of the technic hub could be used to detect when the motor is still turning, but the truck is not moving. Means the tires are slipping. In that case the diff could be locked automatically.

@Andman while that would be cool it could also damage the drivetrain is on wheel is spinning freely at max rev and you suddenly bust in the difflock.. that could send quite the shock strough the drivetrain.