Liking the colouring. Too bad I can't just buy the set without also paying for the Control+ elements. Then again, it looks like Control+ is the only function so without it there would be no point in releasing the set as is.

Yuck. That's all I can say. Yet again, we have a set that was better in the preliminary photos, that somehow got worse for production. The white 6x6 wasn't the best, but it was loads better than this. This looks like the B model for something much cooler. Heck, there was a C model Zetros made from 42043 that looks better than this. This looks to be 42070 all over again, where Lego has an off road truck that can't actually go off road, but has a lot of compromises that serve nothing.

3 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

This looks to be 42070 all over again

In fact, this YEAR looks to be 2017 all over again IMO. Not only this set, but the 42131 CAT D11T is looking like a major letdown too. The design of it looks much simpler than the 42100 and probably has less motors, yet is priced the same or even MORE than 42100 AFAIK.

However, I do think that after the clearer image came out, the wheelbase looks more reasonable to me. The previous image of the new design made the wheelbase look longer than it actually is.

Edited by JLiu15

40 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

The previous image of the new design made the wheelbase look longer than it actually is.

That's because the rear wheels in the previous leak are more compressed or mounted closer to the bed.

There is still a chance this set could be pretty decent. It does have those new tyres that would work great with the claas tyres on tractors and backhoes. So what else could it have to make it great? For me, a realistic drive train. So that means NOT having separate motors and drives for each axle, but instead having a single "engine" located under the hood at the front of the vehicle (made from one new more powerful motor preferably, or multiple hard coupled motors which I still say is now possible due to the higher output speed and lower torque of PU XL motors compared to PF XL). Let's say an inline six engine sandwiched between two PU L-motors looking like two massive engine starter motors, all hard coupled together located under the hood, which is then connected to a realistic gearbox, meaning it has many different sizes of clutch gears (not just the 16 and 20 tooth ones we have now), which then goes to a transfer box roughly in the middle of the wheel base which then sends it power via long, fast spinning prop shafts to the front and rear axles. The majority of the down gearing is then done in the axles and the diffs may also have the same remote locking capabilities of the real truck. Having the weight of all the motors at the front and battery box somewhere in the middle would give good weight distribution, and having the power of all drive motors available to every wheel would make this a pretty decently performing crawler, providing the tyres are good and grippy. Having this arrangement would make it appealing to me. But if it's like the previous 42099 crawler in terms of drive train "realism" then it's a hard pass (although, I still love those 42099 reduction hubs, 42099 will always get some love for that!)

@allanp I can attest to wanting more high speed, low torque gearboxes. It's much more efficient to have that, and makes for smoother shifting

It looks to me like there are trailing 5L beams with towballs on each axle, similar to 42069. So regardless of how the drivetrain turns out, at least the suspension should be nice.

18 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

It looks to me like there are trailing 5L beams with towballs on each axle, similar to 42069. So regardless of how the drivetrain turns out, at least the suspension should be nice.

Yes, it does look like it has proper live axles. And I think it has the newer diffs and 42099 hubs, so the part about having most of the reduction in the axles seems to be there also.

Sariel has posted on YouTube that the embargo date for this set is July 16, so we can now set a date to get concrete information on this set!

56 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Technically, this set is now the Mercedes-Benz Zetros 1833 due to its 4x4 configuration - the former 6x6 model is the 2733.

You are right; 6 x 6 versions are 3643A or 4043A  :thumbup:

7 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Oh look, and it has three seats in the cab as well! Regular partymobile, this thing.

With black curved panels. I just hope tires will be available very soon...the rest is not mandatory for me

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

We still don't know what other new parts may come with it.

So far new tires, new 11 studs beam with cross pins (already on upcoming tow truck), perhaps m-motor ...I hope that official images will be available very soon

The tires are a huge bonus to the tractor builders amongst us. I only went 3rd party due to lack of official options.... a very neglected sector! I'm still hoping that one day we'll get a proper flagship tractor. So many form factors and technical functions that are ideal for lego... but what to do we get?! A constant supply of not-very-super-cars... yawn!

Anyway, this merc gives us tires at least, and in fairness, doesn't look too bad.. though the price is steep. Hoping for a special Cat bulldozer...🤞

Yes @TeamThrifty you are 100% right about tires. My only complain is that there are no 94mm and 68mm tractor tires with a bit lower profile to make practically every agriculture equipment doable (and you could chose scale for it due to 5 different tire sizes)

Judging by the photos of the 4x4 version it has no differnetial locks, since you can clearly see the new-ish red diff inside a 5x7 frame, therebye leaving no space for a lock.

You can see the PU control hub placed vertically at the back of the cab just like the Volvo hauler.

I do hope it has at least a gearbox and maybe a turntable between the cab and bed to simulate the flexible chassis the original has.

According to the specs, this set is in approx 1:16 scale.

Edited by Zerobricks

4 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

maybe a turntable between the cab and bed to simulate the flexible chassis the original has.

That's the coolest function in the real thing if you ask me, so yeah, it'd be great if the set had it as well. I think that's the sort of thing that would be illustrated in the box shot if it were present, though. From the image in the catalogue, it looks like the chassis is rigid.

12 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Judging by the photos of the 4x4 version it has no differnetial locks, since you can clearly see the new-ish red diff inside a 5x7 frame, therebye leaving no space for a lock.

Do you mean the front axle? Normally, the diffs are supposed to be locked in the following order (increasing the off-road capabilities and decreasing the handling):

1. central differential(s)
  2. rear differential
  3. front differential (relatively rare option)

It propose two variants of the transmission here:

1. "Authentic". The model has a common drivetrain for all (2 ones, yeah...) axles with a gearbox and central differential. Hopefully lockable one. The rear axle looks quite "fat" enough so may really have a diff lock option too.
    Using the new RC differentials and planetary hub, this chassis may work quire effective as the drivetrain and gearbox will not be torque-stressed due to high rearing ratio. That could be a quite expressive feature due high number of costly parts.
  2. "Performance". The model remains existing RC crawlers and off-roader with per-axle individual motors. Simple but effective transmission without even a possibility of a central diff. The secondary motors (per axle, again) provides additional features: steering for the front axle, diff lock for the rear axle.

Personally I have no any expectations for this set, but found myself thinking about the rear axle - I have an idea of the second motor that being activated, locks the diff and join to first motor to help with propulsion. The will definitely go to the "mods and improvements" topic.

I haven't even thought about the central or rear diffs yet.

What I am interested in is how TLG will solve the driveline issue in following scenarios:

1. If they are using 2 drive motors independently:

• One motor per axle direct drive, with open diff in front + diff lock in the rear?
  • One motor per axle drive + gearbox for each axle + diff lock in the rear?

2. Using 1 or 2 drive motors coupled together:

• Direct drive to the axles + diff lock in the rear?
  • Drive via a gearbox to the axles + diff lock in the rear?
  • Drive via a gearbox + central diff + diff lock in the rear?

Using the wave selector and a bit of smart software you could easily use a single motor to switch between 2 gears and at the same time lock the central and rear axle diff.

TLG won't release a set with diff locks.. the feature on the diff that makes it possible is there for mocs only. Locking it and then playing with it can smash parts and TLG won't release something that can self destruct. It will never happen, but it keeps coming up on new model releases!!! Its none-subject, for so many obvious reasons.. forget about diff locks...

21 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

TLG won't release a set with diff locks.. the feature on the diff that makes it possible is there for mocs only. Locking it and then playing with it can smash parts and TLG won't release something that can self destruct. It will never happen, but it keeps coming up on new model releases!!! Its none-subject, for so many obvious reasons.. forget about diff locks...

I'd normally agree, but since this set does use planetary hubs with very high gear ratios, the forces on the driveline in a case of a locked diff would be really low. Bigger issue would be tire wear after prolong usage.

Only way of locking mechanism that LEGO can approve - locking using cluthc gear (limited slip diff lock sound likea freak).

Then you just replace clutch with simple gear and that's it! No claims  ot LEGO and everyone is happy!

But yeah, why not?