Both 4 x 4 (1833) and 6 x 6 (2733) are used for civilian and military purposes (and there are both versions as trial trucks). Even Arocs and Unimog are used in civilian and military service, but I have feeling that this "politically  correctness" is going to far and criteria are for one group of people forced to be implement and for other are neglected... There are no major manufacturer that does not do (at least) something directly or indirectly for military. Military service has also positive sides; in my country during earthquakes, fires, searching for missed persons military also helps (OK in case if earthquakes football supporters and fans were first to organize and then Caritas and Roman Catholic Diocese). The point is that if such groups make initiative any product could be banned

29 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

As far as I understand, he is saying that the Zetros was almost cancelled because the 6x6 version has military uses, and TLG have probably redesigned it to a 4x4 to have less resemblance and avoid protests against it. Did anyone hear something about that?

He said that because another YT channel made assumptions that this set could be canceled too, because it is used in military. In my opinion click bait and hype based on nothing.

I find it hard to believe that this model is gonna have close to 2000 pieces, regardless if it's a 4x4 or 6x6 variant. Assuming that it has the medium tractor tires, it's gonna be smaller than 42099 in terms of scale.  The 42099 has 958 pieces. A set is to be slightly smaller in scale than 42099, but is claimed to have twice the piece count than 42099.

The two biggest 4x4 RC Technic sets are 9398 and 41999. 9398 has 1327 parts. 41999 has all the additional bell and whistles and whatnot and has a piece count of 1585. Even the much maligned 42070 with three axles and a crane and 4 outriggers and a bunch of gears inside only peaks at 1862 pieces. TLG can add all the fluff pieces they want, but how this set can get to 2000 pieces, let alone the list 2108 piece count in some sort is truly baffling.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

3 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Just curious, how can you incorrectly assemble two motors to turn against each other (supposing that you are following official instructions)? For that, I think you'd have to completely alter the build to change the direction of rotation. At least I don't see an easy way to do it, but if there was, that would be helpful sometimes :)

Well, considering that the motors are placed parallel to each other, chances are extremely low, however, previously there were endless posts of people building incorrectly the 42070 (that abomination of an "offroad tow truck") by placing the differentials the wrong way, then there was the land Rover Defender, where even only 2 differentials seemed problematic and the Volvo had people messing up the gearbox.... and this is just from the EB forum, imagine how many complaint the customer service had lmao. I suppose there will be a new wave of "my zetros won't move" topics this summer/fall, be it 4x4 or 6x6... 

In regards of the prelims... well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the end design that's gonna hit the shelves, people will buy it anyway, so why try harder? Afterall, it's not that surprising considering the jeep from H1...

I can't imaging TLG hard-coupling its motors (its modern, more powerful ones, not the old weak ones).  If history says anything about them, they are intensely worried about legal actions/possibilities of hurt kids/adults, or damage to their elements.  Just look at all the recent cranes.  42009, 42083, and many many other were all limited in lifting power b/c of clutch gears.  Not to mention countless other models.  TLG is intensely worried about folks misusing motors, burning them out, then calling and complaining for new ones.  

And don't kid yourselves... although their customer service is great and typically they don't question complaints about damaged parts, etc... we ALL pay a premium for that.  One of the outstanding complaints about Lego is its high price.... well their abilities/willingness to ship out new parts without the slightest hint of questioning the integrity of their customers at least somewhat reflective of that price....

Good thread all, interesting opinions coming through - seems to be branching into two paths of thought as to what's coming - it's fun to speculate.

I'm definitely with you @nerdsforprez on that one. As long as it moves and goes up a moderate slope reliably, that's good enough for Lego. It's only MOCers that want to create RC levels of performance.

@Ngoc Nguyen that's some very good analysis - either the part count is off or what we're expecting is vastly different to what's coming.

I'm also of the view that the whole cancellation thing is just click-bait. The Osprey debacle most likely resulted in stricter internal review process; questionable products just wouldn't be announced. 

49 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I find it hard to believe that this model is gonna have close to 2000 pieces, regardless if it's a 4x4 or 6x6 variant. Assuming that it has the medium tractor tires, it's gonna be smaller than 42099 in terms of scale.  The 42099 has 958 pieces. A set is to be slightly smaller in scale than 42099, but is claimed to have twice the piece count than 42099.

I think it's not that hard to get to that piece count, it depends a lot on how the wheel size relates to the whole model and how much bodywork (and corresponding support structure) it has. 42099 has large wheels compared to its overall size, and has very little bodywork, hence the low part count. In contrast for example the Land Rover has the same smaller wheel size as the Zetros is supposed to have, and because of all the small parts required for the gearbox, suspension and internal structures and all its extensive and detailed bodywork it has around 2500 pieces.

44 minutes ago, syclone said:

Well, considering that the motors are placed parallel to each other, chances are extremely low, however, previously there were endless posts of people building incorrectly the 42070 (that abomination of an "offroad tow truck") by placing the differentials the wrong way, then there was the land Rover Defender, where even only 2 differentials seemed problematic and the Volvo had people messing up the gearbox.... and this is just from the EB forum, imagine how many complaint the customer service had lmao. I suppose there will be a new wave of "my zetros won't move" topics this summer/fall, be it 4x4 or 6x6... 

Sure, I can easily imagine wrongly placed differentials and messing up complicated gearboxes, but I think that's different from placing the motors the wrong way while hard coupling; they would probably be impossible to connect the other way round.

44 minutes ago, syclone said:

Afterall, it's not that surprising considering the jeep from H1...

Yeah, that one seems to be a pain point for many, including myself, but hopefully my Defender to Jeep fills some of the void :D

8 hours ago, Andman said:

He said that because another YT channel made assumptions that this set could be canceled too, because it is used in military. In my opinion click bait and hype based on nothing.

Well that youtuber is probably some kid making his lil' stories up and posting them on youtube in a click baity way as if they are facts just to get views.

Why are we even talking about that youtuber just report the video already 🙄

I'm not happy at all that this set is no longer a 6x6 (though theres a chance it could still be).

This set is supposed to be in the same ball park as 42114. the cat is in the same ball park as 42115 or 42100 and the american tow truck is supposed to be in the same ball park as the cement mixer.

The only reason they would have made it 4x4 is to lower the price by having two less new tyres, two lees planetary hubs, one less "new" differential, 4 less "new" male cv joints, 2 less "new" female cv joints, and then a few basic parts removed.

Edited by SNIPE

7 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I think it's not that hard to get to that piece count, it depends a lot on how the wheel size relates to the whole model and how much bodywork (and corresponding support structure) it has. 42099 has large wheels compared to its overall size, and has very little bodywork, hence the low part count. In contrast for example the Land Rover has the same smaller wheel size as the Zetros is supposed to have, and because of all the small parts required for the gearbox, suspension and internal structures and all its extensive and detailed bodywork it has around 2500 pieces.

I think we should really doubt the given prices and part counts. No way the cat dozer could have 3854 pieces in it's current state. On the other hand: Mercedes really cared about their brand image for the 8110 and especially the 42043 and may insisted of a rather detailled cabin (looks + interior). With maybe an inline 4 or 6 engine inside the hood, we easily get 1500+ pieces. In contrast, the 42099 has like 12 orange panels + some liftarms for the whole cab...

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I’m not inclined to believe the video at all

Sadly, I could not convince the youtuber to share the pics or have a glimpse at it, so I can say nothing for sure. What makes this rumor somehow believable are two points:

The name 4x4 we get for this model in the first place and the rather poor construction in the version of the leaked 6x6 image (the cab is just a joke, fixed front axle).

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

I could not convince the youtuber to share the pics

Most probably he doesn't have them, never have seen

2 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Most probably he doesn't have them, never have seen

Apparently he was swiping and zooming on the so-called photos on a tablet while speaking in the video.

If he has the pics, so do others. Have they leaked? Nope ..

36 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Apparently he was swiping and zooming on the so-called photos on a tablet while speaking in the video.

Maybe he was dusting the screen :laugh:

It looks that until official images, we are running in circles

23 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It looks that until official images, we are running in circles

That's the best sentence I've read in this whole thread.

I see no reason to believe that the prelim image isn't the final set. I know some sets do differ, but not as drastically as has been suggested here.

11 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

That's the best sentence I've read in this whole thread.

Well, we are discussing basically the same things over and over again, so what if it will at the end be smaller version of 42070? I do not know anyone who is able to please everyone. In today's pandemic time we see that if you put 10 scientists in virology together you'll get 10 different opinions; the same thing here. Lets leave LEGO to do their job, if we don't like it no one can force us to buy it, or to modify it...

German here. I have seen a couple of videos by that guy and I already liked his older videos. He seems serious about the hobby. Not the kind of guy that would exaggerate just to get clicks. Not only is he swiping on his screen he also gives a very thorough description of details including things he cannot see on the pictures. If this is fake then it's surely not him faking but the person who gave him photoshopped images. Otherwise this would be very good acting by him. He says that there are two independent sources one of which is the person who gave him the four images. The other person is just someone who said that it's going to be a 4x4 contrary to the first leaked picture.

Then post the darn pics, instead of trolling around on youtube. There have been tons of leaked pics on various social media in the last decade or two with little to no consequences for the leakers ...

22 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Then post the darn pics, instead of trolling around on youtube. There have been tons of leaked pics on various social media in the last decade or two with little to no consequences for the leakers ...

Agree on that, on reddit usually pops up something, not to mention other social networks

Edited by I_Igor
Missing word thanks to EB User 1974

3 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Reddit is a social network

Now I see that word other is missing

I predict nine out of seven EB Technic users will be very dissapointed with this set :wall:

I personally have lots of parts and there are lots of machinery that I want to make (both manual and RC), so in last 5-6 year I look mainly for parts; but I must admit that when I saw 42054, or this year 42122 on discount I didn't hesitate and I bought them. So I do not want to give myself a headaches because it is not perfect set and have my expectations very low; some new useful part and I'm happy