Just to put thing in context, this thing is even more expensive than the Porsche 42056, which has a retail price of 300 EUR. It's treading in the premium supercar's price tag range. It'd better have something that make deserve that price tag.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Just to put thing in context, this thing is even more expensive than the Porsche 42056, which has a retail price of 300 EUR. It's treading in the premium supercar's price tag range. It'd better have something that make deserve that price tag.

Oh man I really hope so

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

"Wishful thinking" probably doesn't even cover it...

Given the possibility for locking the new diffs maybe we get a really competitive trial truck. Citing german wiki: "The Zetros is exclusively equipped with permanent all-wheel drive, off-road reduction and three differential locks (front axle, mid and rear axle differential)."

So with the info that was posted in the Technic 2021 discusion it seems we are getting a 6x6.

I expect the following:

• 3 solid axles using the planetary gear hubs
  • A gearbox to switch between gears just like the Volvo - it can easily be automated using PU's current and RPM detection
  • The same gearbox could also be used to switch to auxilary functions such as a winch, crane arm, etc...
  • I hope the suspension will be a proper one with hard shock absorbers from the Unimog and not some kind of a pendular shortcut that was in 42070.

I am really glad there will finally be a newer version of 42043 and 8110! However, only 2108 pieces for 300 EUR/330 EUR isn't great value and pneumatics are probably the only way to justify the price...

5 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I am really glad there will finally be a newer version of 42043 and 8110! However, only 2108 pieces for 300 EUR/330 EUR isn't great value and pneumatics are probably the only way to justify the price...

Let’s hope it lives up to these classics. Can it not be that the price is explained by the software development for the Control+ system? Maybe Lego sees remote control + fancy software as a way to justify high prices and differentiate itself from Chinese clone brands. Personally I would prefer more pieces and more complex builds than remote control which I try out once and that’s it.

1 hour ago, WvG_853 said:

Can it not be that the price is explained by the software development for the Control+ system?

Hopefully not, considering how "sophisticated" the controls are in the Control+ profile of the Off-road buggy.. TLG should actually sell it with a discount. 

2 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Personally I would prefer more pieces and more complex builds than remote control which I try out once and that’s it.

I agree, 

What's the use of sophisticated software if not sophisticated build...?

Maybe we're going to get a physical remote with it.

And maybe it's also going to rain candy next week and then the hell freezes over.

14 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Me after reading the leaked info, to Zetros:

How dare you stand where they (42043, 8110) stood?

Does everyone really equate 8110 and 42043?  8110 was a great set but the steering was abysmal.  Like off the charts abysmal.  I still have a rendition of it, heavily modified, on my shelf.  I had to modify the steering, among other things, because it was so bad.  Sure 42043 had its shortcomings, but at least in my memory nothing that equated to the lousy steering of 8110. 

Also, whether or not it is justified to US, perhaps it is to TLG... but a 6x6 with 42099 tires and planetary hubs...perhaps this is what TLG is thinking in terms of setting the sets price point?  Again, not saying I agree with the justification, but might it serve at least in part to their thinking?  

On 1/14/2021 at 8:50 AM, kbalage said:

Hopefully not, considering how "sophisticated" the controls are in the Control+ profile of the Off-road buggy.. TLG should actually sell it with a discount. 

I'm pretty sure that the software developers do not create the graphical interface ;D

1 minute ago, Gimmick said:

I'm pretty sure that the software developers do not create the graphical interface ;D

Well I'm pretty sure there's a team responsible for the Control+ app and they create the code, the GUI and implement the functions for each profile. I don't know who actually decides what controls & functions will be used for a specific set but that's kind of irrelevant here, for the buggy there were several bad decisions made. 

@kbalage

Well we can argue back and forth and discuss whose descision it might have been to create a buggy in the first place, how it should look like, which digital functions it should have and so on...

All I wanted to adress is: Maybe the developer costs are a great part of the price tag of C+/PU and if it is so, a shi**y interface of a buggy will not reduce the price in general :) And sorry nevertheless, I did not want to start a discussion, jumping into the breach at exactly this point is kind of a job related mental illness which is hard to control :D

@Gimmick well I don't think either that the quality of the work has anything to do with the costs :) But I highly doubt that in general the sw development costs would affect the price of the set.

1 hour ago, kbalage said:

@Gimmick But I highly doubt that in general the sw development costs would affect the price of the set.

Hmm, why not?

Just now, Gimmick said:

Hmm, why not?

Because there should be dozens of people working on every set from several departments, e.g. set designers, people creating instructions, testers, package designers, quality control etc. Adding a single "department" (which should be like 2-3 people max) for Control+ development responsible only for a few specific sets per year should not increase the overall HR cost significantly. If there's anything that justifies the increased price then it's the electronics which is traditionally not manufactured by TLG.

Just take a look at another line that has a companion app, like Hidden side. Every set needs a "profile" so there's added development cost, but these sets are not more expensive than the simple City ones with a similar piece count.

57 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Because there should be dozens of people working on every set from several departments, e.g. set designers, people creating instructions, testers, package designers, quality control etc. Adding a single "department" (which should be like 2-3 people max) for Control+ development responsible only for a few specific sets per year should not increase the overall HR cost significantly. If there's anything that justifies the increased price then it's the electronics which is traditionally not manufactured by TLG.

Just take a look at another line that has a companion app, like Hidden side. Every set needs a "profile" so there's added development cost, but these sets are not more expensive than the simple City ones with a similar piece count.

I always wondered how the development is structured internaly. Control+, PU, HiddenSide, Mindstorms, Spike, the learning material, firmware, hardware,... it all has to be developed and payed. The only question is: How are the costs distributed among the products.The high individual costs of the PoweredUp products lead me to suspect that such costs are not passed on to all products.

But maybe you are right and I underestimate the production cost of the hardware itself by a lot.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:55 PM, Technicallism said:

Okay, some update info about this set:

2108 pcs,     approx. €329.99

New parts in pure gold, I suppose. Quite the pricetag given the piece-count. I'm really curious what we will get.

3 minutes ago, McTriple said:

New parts in pure gold, I suppose. Quite the pricetag given the piece-count. I'm really curious what we will get.

Yeah, but comparable to 42099 at 229€ for 958 pieces and 3 motors. Now we get 1150 pieces more for 100€ and at least the same amount of motors I guess.

7 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Yeah, but comparable to 42099 at 229€ for 958 pieces and 3 motors. Now we get 1150 pieces more for 100€ and at least the same amount of motors I guess.

Let's hope so. But as far as I'm concerned, value-for-money is decreasing rather than increasing the last couple of years. Let's wait and see. Time to be surprised I would say!

18 hours ago, Jundis said:

I don't think so:

set 42114 had 2192 p.,3 motors and it cost 250€

I think 42129'll have 4 motors.

but still 40€ for 1 motor + 250€ is not 330€

Are you guys sure about the 6x6 and C+ for the Zetros set? Was really hoping for an offroad 4x4 Unimog style truck with pneumatic compressor and manual functions. I was really disappointed by the Volvo Hauler from last year... too heavy, too slow and the automated gearbox didn't help if all it can do is drive in 1st gear due to lack of torque.
Also if a flagship CAT Bulldozer and Zetros are released in the same year, it means the CAT will be most probably designed by Kossi and the Zetros not, which again is unfortunate because he created the wonderful Unimog. Maybe Milan or Michael will be the designers.