10 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Given the monumental blade on the real thing

TLG: laughs in one-time-use specialized piece

A good question to ask is when do we get the photos? Because they do exist, by now all product photography should be done and ready to go. It’s just a matter of where and when we can see them...

25 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Then that defeats the purpose of Technic. Hopefully they've put some effort in.

19 minutes ago, JLSTechnic said:

A good question to ask is when do we get the photos? Because they do exist, by now all product photography should be done and ready to go. It’s just a matter of where and when we can see them...

We'll see them when we see them. Asking will get you nowhere.

2 hours ago, Milan said:

Agreed.
While this somewhat goes under "Set discussion", it would be better if we open a new topic specifically about the discussion you guys are having, while we keep this topic primarily for set discussion.

Thanks all :thumbup:

You bet.  And my apologies if my comments offended anyone.  That is never my intention.  I will PM @allanp when I have a moment to clear the air.  He seemed to take my comments personal.  @Bartybumand I may disagree, but I did not sense he took personal issue with them.  I certainly hope not. 

I will say this though.. my comments hinged on @AVCampos's comment regarding the gearbox vs. every function motorized debate.  And I stand by my support for his comment.  

When considering AFOLs complaints on a set I do think it worthwhile to distinguish between objective criticism on a set (like failed gearboxes in UCS supercars, color variation, poorly attached doors, etc.) where there are obvious failings versus simply stating one's preference.  This color or that, the gearbox vs. every function motorized debate, etc.  Please recognize there is no right or wrong answer to these issues, you are simply stating a preference and there are no ends to those.  No one person's preference trumps another's nor does it provide evidence that TLG should go in your direction versus going with another's preference.  

To keep things pertinent to this thread, like Milan says, one should consider this to keep the utility of the thread.  If not, we simply get a thread regarding a flagship model that is over 100 pages long with 80% of folks simply stating a preference for something and only 20% really dedicated to the objective aspects, good or bad, of a model.  Of a member of EB for 7 or 8 years now, I literally have seen dozens of threads going this direction, and it simply decreases the utility of it.  No one has time to sift through 100 pages of preference-stating to get to the meat-and potatoes of a model.  That's all I meant.  

1 hour ago, JLSTechnic said:

You are right they exist, but with time you will realize TLG really tries to keep things secret until an official reveal.  This has a purpose.  It creates hype but also stalls, for a moment, copy-cat companies from stealing the design of a set and reproducing it cheaper.  In the last few years TLG has really been up-ing their game and keeping things secret.  I am sure we will not see them for quite some time.....

Edited by nerdsforprez

@nerdsforprez no need for PM, I think you cleared the air already.

As for the @AVCampos multifunction gearboxes versus motor for every function comment, they're both overused and entirely unrealistic and so I'm gonna complain either way :grin: which might explain why you do see complaints either way, because they are both undesirable!

As for pictures, someone here has seen them but not me! I would like to see them, because like nerdsforprez said, right now all I can talk about are my preferences! So hopefully we'll get something of some more substance to talk about soon!

I'm looking forward to the flagship if it's confirmed because d11t is one of my favorite machine :)
I already did one dozer (Komatsu D475A) 90% finished but due to lack of time and dark months appears. (4 pneumatic functions with automatic pump, 2 IR channels for driving via subtractor)

I'd like to get something similar as a lego set :pir-classic:

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x1707.jpg

Edited by Ctan

On 2/2/2021 at 2:13 PM, nerdsforprez said:

The whole idea of deconstructing and rebuilding to one's specific please seems like a far-fetched idea to many.....

It does... i've said it so many times, Lego is designed to be taken to pieces and built into different things. Or a better version of the current thing. I started building in the late 70's where sitting it on a shelf to look at was a non-existent concept. Everyone built their own stuff... not sure when it got called a 'moc', but to me thats Lego. If you don't build moc's.. as is the current vernacular! ...then you have the wrong hobby. Get some airfix or tamiya and glue stuff together. That looks great on a shelf, lego on a shelf is like keeping a tiger in a cage.. give it freedom!!

20 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

lego on a shelf is like keeping a tiger in a cage.. give it freedom!!

LEGO needs to be in its natural environment: under people's bare feet. :grin:

20 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Man you are so damn right :laugh:

10 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

To keep things pertinent to this thread, like Milan says, one should consider this to keep the utility of the thread.  If not, we simply get a thread regarding a flagship model that is over 100 pages long with 80% of folks simply stating a preference for something and only 20% really dedicated to the objective aspects, good or bad, of a model.

I have to say I completely agree with this. It was quite hard to sift through this thread and find out what we actually know about this set as opposed to what people would like it to be, although sometimes it's interesting to see what people miss from lego technic sets, but that may be another discussion. Btw, is there a (pinned) thread for that?

6 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

Lego is designed to be taken to pieces and built into different things. Or a better version of the current thing. I started building in the late 70's where sitting it on a shelf to look at was a non-existent concept. Everyone built their own stuff...

Agree with this one too, especially true for technic!

8 hours ago, Ctan said:

I already did one dozer

That's a pretty good one, looking forward to the set as well!

14 hours ago, AVCampos said:

:roflmao:... trod on some only yesterday!!!:cry2:

14 hours ago, AVCampos said:

Or clanking around in the dryer .....:hmpf_bad:  Literally, up early getting ready for work, getting out laundry and there they are.....

Why do CAT paint the tracks and gears? Two minutes on the job and that paint is gone ..

23 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Why do CAT paint the tracks and gears? Two minutes on the job and that paint is gone ..

Renault 4 and Citroën 2CV were factory painted too.
Although that didn't help eitherl :sweet:

1 hour ago, 1974 said:

It’s because it gives the customer a brand new and complete machine that looks finished. It’s also so as the paint wears off the tracks are polished and don’t rust (unless the machine sits still for a period of time)

What colour tracks do you want to see on the set? Do you think new track elements may be introduced to match the correct scale?

1 hour ago, JLSTechnic said:

What colour tracks do you want to see on the set? Do you think new track elements may be introduced to match the correct scale?

Black should work fine. I think a Lego set with only one colour looks somehow bland, even if it fits the original model. The size may also fit nicely, as this set is way more "dense" than the 42100, which also used the big treads. I don't think TLC will bring a new tread elements or use combination of elements (e.g. small treads doubled, or chains with 6l liftarm).

I see potential for multiple NEW parts, and not talking about just colors. Given the size of the final drive, I suspect a planetary gear system ... And if the tag price is confirmed (US $450), most likely a combination of LAs and Pneumatics. Any photos yet?

4 hours ago, DrJB said:

I see potential for multiple NEW parts, and not talking about just colors. Given the size of the final drive, I suspect a planetary gear system ... And if the tag price is confirmed (US $450), most likely a combination of LAs and Pneumatics. Any photos yet?

In the element design thread the designers talked about how they generally try to use pieces that exist, which makes me suspect that they wouldn’t bother designing a new planetary hub, especially since there isn’t really a need for one in this application (42100 didn’t have one either) - you can just reduce the drivetrain before it reaches the sprocket

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

I agree that a planetary drive would be very good for the CAT. They could use the ones from 42099. Unless it's pneumatic I'm not sure what new parts it really needs.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Why?
they did this on 42100 and 42112 too.

On 2/4/2021 at 1:54 PM, JLSTechnic said:

when do we get the photos?

Probably Lepin is asking the same...

On 2/5/2021 at 4:02 PM, Jundis said:

Black should work fine. I think a Lego set with only one colour looks somehow bland, even if it fits the original model. The size may also fit nicely, as this set is way more "dense" than the 42100, which also used the big treads. I don't think TLC will bring a new tread elements or use combination of elements (e.g. small treads doubled, or chains with 6l liftarm).

Don't worry about bland looking Technic sets, luckily the visible blue, brown, tan, yellow, red, light and dark bluish gray colored pin, axle and gears spice things up for us. ;)

I am also anxious about the wave of summer sets since it's always the better one in a year. It's sad that the Nürnberg Toy Fair was not held digitally (as SPIEL did last year) to showcase the upcoming products, but I guess LEGO would have been against showing pictures anyway, since they don't allow to take pics or videos at their fair booth any more.