31 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Usable? For the Raptor it's required. :thumbdown:

I'd say it would be for the CAT as well. To paraphrase Superintendent Chalmers: "What's the point of having a CAT if you can't show it off?"

Well what's the point of getting a set licensed in the first place when you don't even bother to spend 4 cents more to actually print the oh-so-expensive licensed bits?

Paying for a license to then waste it on a sticker sheet is so incredibly stupid...

6 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Well what's the point of getting a set licensed in the first place when you don't even bother to spend 4 cents more to actually print the oh-so-expensive licensed bits?

Paying for a license to then waste it on a sticker sheet is so incredibly stupid...

Some parts, like the square panels, would not look good with printing. It would be great if the D11 logos at the top of the panels on the engine were printed, though. Same with the CAT logo on the tile atop the grill.

12 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

But at least if you use stickers, people have the option to use them or not. Printed pieces don't, and then when doing a MOC, you'll need to come up with clever ways of hiding the out-of-place printed part, or doing without it.

It’s damned if you do, to be honest. Can’t please everyone with either of the options. Stickers can be removed and the parts can be used in something totally unrelated, but they’re less “premium”. Prints usually look better but you can’t really reuse them (42096 arches for example) unless you don’t mind the prints or permanently remove them. 

It's quite rare that printed parts do not also come unprinted in the same colour eventually. And if not, you can wipe printed parts, but you can't print yourself

24 minutes ago, LvdH said:

It’s damned if you do, to be honest. Can’t please everyone with either of the options.

The option everyone would be happy with would be to print the pieces but throw in unprinted examples too. A few bricks more shouldn't be too much to ask akt TLG's asking price.

16 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

The option everyone would be happy with would be to print the pieces but throw in unprinted examples too. A few bricks more shouldn't be too much to ask akt TLG's asking price.

True. If the Lambo got printed parts, then throwing in a couple for this £420 set should be a given.

EDIT: Just reread your post; sorry, but even I think this approach would be logistically excessive.

Edited by Maaboo35

12 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Printing or not printing isn't the issue cost wise.

The main problem is that a printed part is a new part and TLG simply can't have so much new parts. The warehouses can't handle so many parts.  Otherwise TLG would have thousands of new parts each year. So each year, every theme get's a certain number of printed parts. 

This is something a lot of people don't see. They simply want printed parts....and that's simply not possible.

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Was the sticker sheet usable this time?

It will be applying sticker for this review :wink:

4 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

That is true, but that’s not something they will ever do. They care more about people building the set than people reusing the pieces for something else. 
Also, I can only imagine the suffering customer service people will have to go through answering the question “why do I have these pieces left over?” all day long :tongue:

18 minutes ago, 1974 said:

It's quite rare that printed parts do not also come unprinted in the same colour eventually. And if not, you can wipe printed parts, but you can't print yourself

It’s rare because technic doesn’t include a lot of prints, but I would like to again point you to 42096 which still doesn’t have an unprinted variant. 

2 minutes ago, astyanax said:

@Jim Makes sense in general, but we're talking flagship here... That's gotta influence priorities a bit.

True that! I absolutely agree with you on that one. 

But that would mean 20 (or so) extra parts for this set. Now sure how many new printed parts we got this year in Technic. 

@Jim I get what you mean. I am already amazed at how many new moulds TLG is introducing these days. Still 20€ 4+ Sets get prints only, and flagship sets like this or even the 700€ Star Destroyer gets stickers. Makes no sense.

Edited by Gray Gear

Just now, Gray Gear said:

@Jim I get what you mean. I am already amazed at how many new moulds is introducing these days. Still 20€ 4+ Sets get prints only, and this flagship sets like this or even the 700€ Star Destroyer gets stickers. Makes no sense.

I understand your point. Sets for younger builders tend to goet more printed parts, because they get played with more. Duplo is a good example. Printed parts only. A 700 euro Star Destroyer will sit in a cabinet, so stickers are "fine".

It is an interesting discussion, but the reasoning from TLG's perspective is not as "ridiculous" as one might think. But I do understand when you pay top dollar, you expect printed parts.

5 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Makes no sense.

So, it does make sense, but not from your point of view :laugh:

All the prints I had as a kid are ruined, just like the stickers i had. And I am 22yo, so that wasn't even thaaat long ago :laugh:

The play sets like city or 4+ will not be intresting for the kid in very few years, so who cares if the stickers look bad. I sure didn't.

Meanwhile the stickers on the flagships that sit on a shelf for often more than a decade slowly start to peel and discolor. Unfitting for a display piece.

True that. And let me be clear; I would love to get printed parts on my UCS and flagship sets. But unfortunately, this won't be happening any time soon :sadnew:

Anyway, sorry for derailing this topic. Let's talk CAT again.

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

“why do I have these pieces left over?

I just had that very same question yesterday while building a set... :laugh: Turns out they were intentionally left over.

30 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

I just had that very same question yesterday while building a set... :laugh: Turns out they were intentionally left over.

And you contacted a customer service....sort of :laugh:

6 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I don't want printed parts. I want stickers that i can leave off.. I want parts for mocs, not pieces with 'cat' printed on them that i can't use for anything else... 

4 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

that sit on a shelf for often more than a decade slowly start to peel and discolor

Its trying to tell you something!! Don't sit it on a shelf... waste of lego!! Enjoy it, dismantle it and build mocs. Airfix is for shelfs. Lego is for building.

3 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

I don't want printed parts. I want stickers that i can leave off.. I want parts for mocs, not pieces with 'cat' printed on them that i can't use for anything else... 

Its trying to tell you something!! Don't sit it on a shelf... waste of lego!! Enjoy it, dismantle it and build mocs. Airfix is for shelfs. Lego is for building.

I could not agree more :thumbup:

Very well said

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

I am the last person you have to tell that :wink:

I mix my LEGO with other Brick brands like CADA, I just want to build MOCs and have fun, I don't care where my bricks come from or how much money I lose by actually using my bricks instead of keeping sealed Original LEGO boxes in my attic hoping for rising prices :laugh_hard:

16 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Lego is for building

Lego is for whatever you want to do with it.
Some like to keep it in NRFB, some like to build MOCs, some like to keep them on shelf, some like to throw them from a building and record it, some use glue, paint etc...
We all share the same hobby, and I think it is best to just let the people do what they want with their Lego :wink:  

And we can all get back to CAT.

15 hours ago, Milan said:

some like to throw them from a building and record it

Not gonna lie, I will feel ripped off if nobody does that with the CAT on the 10th. :laugh: