zephyr1934

New 3rd party magnetic train couplers [and micromotors too]

Seems like a great evolution on the original that is going to be affordable for most builders. I know most people ditch the buffer part in their builds, but I particularly like them. I'm guessing they most likely won't add something like that in the future since the magnets are meant to go with the Studly trains. Either way, a great alternative to getting those old magnet parts.

The old magnets are a much better choice for trains wider than 6 studs where the fixed train buffer beam with sealed magnet doesn't really work.

They are also stronger than the new ones and these from Lifelites should be even stronger with neodymium magnets.

Interesting product for sure :thumbup:

Edited by dtomsen

I look forward to seeing the real life testing I know some people will do of these and howw they compare to those Knuckle couplers. Kinda on the fence between the two now for my first physical build

I've tested them a bunch already, and they're pretty great.  I used them on the BrickTracks train kit.

@dr_spock Its not likely to happen any time soon, but I do feel like the most recent rendition of the Hogwarts Express was a potential field test— albeit under the guise of “keeping costs down”...

However, I would back a new piece or assembly that mimicked the hook&loop style of couplers from LGB/Märklin. Following this logic, we could then see a magnetic uncoupler setup...?

21 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Interesting. Is LEGO planning to do away with their magnetic coupler/buffers? 

I'm pretty sure these have nothing to do with what Lego might do in the future. I have no connections to Lifelites, but I think these have been in the works for a while due to dissatisfaction with the current magnets. There is a lot of demand for the old style magnets because a lot of builders do not want buffers, need stronger magnets, and/or do not like the newer sealed magnets.

4 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

I'm pretty sure these have nothing to do with what Lego might do in the future. I have no connections to Lifelites, but I think these have been in the works for a while due to dissatisfaction with the current magnets. There is a lot of demand for the old style magnets because a lot of builders do not want buffers, need stronger magnets, and/or do not like the newer sealed magnets.

You pretty much nailed it.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:47 PM, M_slug357 said:

@dr_spock Its not likely to happen any time soon, but I do feel like the most recent rendition of the Hogwarts Express was a potential field test— albeit under the guise of “keeping costs down”...

However, I would back a new piece or assembly that mimicked the hook&loop style of couplers from LGB/Märklin. Following this logic, we could then see a magnetic uncoupler setup...?

That would be good.  Not sure if I should be hoarding couplers like Power Function motors.  :laugh:    Could the LGB couplers be modified for LEGO by driling a 4.8mm hole to connect a Technic pin?

On 12/18/2020 at 10:40 AM, zephyr1934 said:

I saw a 3D printable version on Thingiverse last year.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3333595

3 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Apparently Lifelites has been up to all sorts of goodness. @Electricsteam pointed out in a different thread that Lifelites also introduced an enticing little micro-motor.

ST-MOTORCOMBO-228x228.jpg

I've updated the topic name accordingly

Thank you.   I was looking at that was wondering how it might work for narrow gauge lego trains.   Because we all know it's a royal PITA to runs trains with the PF system.   

Sorry about that I wasnt sure if that was the generic topic about narrow gauge.  

I am testing the final production parts of the motor and train controller.  I'm going to be working on a little video explaining the motor and the features of the controller, if yall have any questions I'll try and go over it.

Jldqq2r.jpg

tIp4hoS.jpg

Also I can answer any questions yall have on the magnet couplers too.  The main reason for the product is because of the cost and long term availability of the ones from lego, that said they are also improved(stronger magnet) than lego.

The owner of Lifelites/Studly trains is a good friend of mine and in my LUG.

@M_slug357 on this version just 1.  1 motor and 2 independent lights.  The software is already in the controller for the lights to go on and off depending on the direction your running(if you want)  Again, I'm not sure how much I can say for future products, but there are future products in the works.  The goal for this first product was to develop the programing, and the hardware, to run the tiny trains that studly trains also has designed and released instructions for. The image below is 2 of the models he has designed. gtPKLdX.jpg 

41 minutes ago, fluffybunny said:

@M_slug357 on this version just 1.  1 motor and 2 independent lights.  The software is already in the controller for the lights to go on and off depending on the direction your running(if you want)  Again, I'm not sure how much I can say for future products, but there are future products in the works.  The goal for this first product was to develop the programing, and the hardware, to run the tiny trains that studly trains also has designed and released instructions for. The image below is 2 of the models he has designed. gtPKLdX.jpg 

I gotta say I love the little Shay style locomotives.  I'm kinda tempted to grab the instructions because they would go really well with this train I designed a while ago.

https://i.imgur.com/hnz9Hp8.jpg

Also.  It's really hard to tell on the website but what is on the end of the micromotor? Is it a generic gear or something that can hold a lego axle.  Without the head on photo it's hard to tell. 

15 minutes ago, Electricsteam said:

I gotta say I love the little Shay style locomotives.  I'm kinda tempted to grab the instructions because they would go really well with this train I designed a while ago.

https://i.imgur.com/hnz9Hp8.jpg

Also.  It's really hard to tell on the website but what is on the end of the micromotor? Is it a generic gear or something that can hold a lego axle.  Without the head on photo it's hard to tell. 

it has a lego axle connector.  I'm not sure exactly how that was done, but yes it is a lego axle connector.  I'm driving the tiny shay with 2 of the 12 tooth bevel gears, 1 on the motor, 1 on the axle.

That is a nice model I like it!

Edited by fluffybunny

1 hour ago, fluffybunny said:

it has a lego axle connector.  I'm not sure exactly how that was done, but yes it is a lego axle connector.  I'm driving the tiny shay with 2 of the 12 tooth bevel gears, 1 on the motor, 1 on the axle.

That is a nice model I like it!

Interesting.   I might need to grab some of that then... I never considered that I might be able to motorized my little train.    Hard to make small american steamers look conniving. 

16 hours ago, fluffybunny said:

I am testing the final production parts of the motor and train controller.  I'm going to be working on a little video explaining the motor and the features of the controller, if yall have any questions I'll try and go over it.

Could you show a better picture of the axle connector? Is the motor powerful enough for those little engines to pull 2 or 3 cars behind? That would open up whole new world of small trains if it did.

So the controller has an IR receiver on it? Does it speak PF? Does it have any sort of discrete housing? What about the power supply?

If powered by a LiPo battery, does the controller detect a drop in current and shut off the motor, or does that need to be done with an added board/circuitry?  (Since you don't want LiPos to drain empty.)

8 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Could you show a better picture of the axle connector? Is the motor powerful enough for those little engines to pull 2 or 3 cars behind? That would open up whole new world of small trains if it did.

So the controller has an IR receiver on it? Does it speak PF? Does it have any sort of discrete housing? What about the power supply?

ASaegdd.jpg

Hopefully that picture gives you enough detail.  It isn't exactly a technic pin connector, but it works great.

Yes it will pull 2-3 cars no problem.  We used a similar motor at Brickworld Chicago and a similar train size and it pulled 20 BMR cars.  It had some issues getting started due to the light weight, but once it got going with a little bit of help it pulled them no issue.

To answer your question about IR/PF/housing and power supply, a lot of that is covered in the product listing better than I can cover it, but, yes it has an IR receiver and speaks PF, It has a lot more features in it than the regular PF.  For example it will ramp speed up and down, so it isn't instant power.  The reason for that is to give the sense of weight behind the train and that it takes a little effort to get going.  The controller also has the ability to have 2 lights on it.  Those lights also have options to be both lights always on, light to change based on direction the locomotive is going, it will do all sorts of cool things, and still being worked on.

There is no housing for the controller.  It uses an included lipo battery(see the product listing for which one, it may change at some point in the future) The reason for no housing is to keep things as small as possible and to allow for the most flexibility.

Also I realized looking back at previous posts on this thread, the correct product listing for the train controller isn't linked.

https://lifelites.com/tiny-train-control-kit

1 hour ago, JWBDolphins said:

If powered by a LiPo battery, does the controller detect a drop in current and shut off the motor, or does that need to be done with an added board/circuitry?  (Since you don't want LiPos to drain empty.)

it is powered by a LiPo battery, and this is mentioned in the product listing.  There is NO CURRENT SHUT OFF on the controller.  I'm not sure of the reason why, I think it had to do with size but not 100% sure.  The goal lifelites had was to have the absolute smallest combination of controller/battery/and motor to drive trains.  Your exactly right though you don't want to drain LiPos fully.

I note that the the Studly website fails when I try to register as a customer ... shame that as I would like to place an order ... Ah forget it I had my VPN on, sorry

Edited by netlife
Technical error