Marxpek

[MOC] Cutting steel with a Lego Angle grinder

59 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

2x 40z gear between 2 buggy motors, those mesh with a single 8z gear, which axle goes through a portal hub and through the 3D print. So no bearings, but as mentioned before, i did use WD40 on the axle and the 8z gear and used it as short as possible to prevent parts melting and fusing together or worse.. come off..

How did that even work... Hose 8z gears should never have survived...

3 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

How did that even work... Hose 8z gears should never have survived...

Carefully built and lubed, the ABS gears can stand surprisingly high speeds without melting, check Brick Experiment Channel on YT for some high speed Lego videos (and other insane builds).

Just now, howitzer said:

Carefully built and lubed, the ABS gears can stand surprisingly high speeds without melting, check Brick Experiment Channel on YT for some high speed Lego videos (and other insane builds).

I am subscribed to him ofc.

14 hours ago, nicjasno said:

How did that even work... Hose 8z gears should never have survived.

well i learned a thing or 2 about supporting gears for high speed in my speed racers. the (stronger newer ridged style) z8 gear is driven from opposing sides by 2 z40 gears, this really helps with how the gear teeth are loaded, when a gear is driven from one side it gets pushed outwards aswell, causing friction and slight sideways load which is never a good thing, driving a gear from 2 sides helps to keep it centered and thus loads the teeth in a better way. and ofc the WD40 does wonders.

7 hours ago, Marxpek said:

well i learned a thing or 2 about supporting gears for high speed in my speed racers. the (stronger newer ridged style) z8 gear is driven from opposing sides by 2 z40 gears, this really helps with how the gear teeth are loaded, when a gear is driven from one side it gets pushed outwards aswell, causing friction and slight sideways load which is never a good thing, driving a gear from 2 sides helps to keep it centered and thus loads the teeth in a better way. and ofc the WD40 does wonders.

Never use wd40. It will destroy lego. Use silicone spray lube.

Icarus and Koncept Mantis use an 8z gear pushed from both sides. It never gave me any troubles, albeit that's with "only" 4 Chinese high power motors rather than buggy motors!

I like to use dielectric silicon grease. Works well enough, and by design it doesn't eat plastic. Red rubber grease for brake caliper sliding pins might be good if thicker grease is needed.

16 hours ago, nicjasno said:

Never use wd40. It will destroy lego. Use silicone spray lube.

thanks for the tip i wasnt aware of that.. i just grabbed what i had near, i did clean it afterwards with some ipa. But as you can see... I have zero to none experience with lego and lubrication, i tried it once in my speedracers but sand and dirt sticks to the lube then destroys any moving part, so i never looked into that again. If i need it again i will use more suitable slippery stuff.