Paperinik77pk

[MOC] Wooden Toy Train + PuP

Hi all,

since I saw many Christmas creations , I wanted to prepare something which could be found under the Christmas Tree, and - if needed, it can also travel around it! *huh*

Lego Wooden Train

It is a small wooden train (made in ABS!!!) similar to one (made of wood) I bought years ago in a flea market.  In this photo you can see it in its pull-along version. But with some modifications...

...It can become a real train:

Lego Wooden Toy Train PoweredUp

The modifications are all inside the locomotive cabin, where a Powered Up Medium motor literally stands up over the rear wheels (also providing traction to them)

M-motor is not fixed - its flat sides are blocked by the 5-wide cabin itself. The rear wheels use two traction rubber bands, stolen directly by 12v and 4,5v trains. The train is quite light, so even a 2wd traction is sufficient.

As in the best Lego tradition, the battery and movement control are in the wagon immediately next to the locomotive. The PuP hub controls the motor and receives inputs from the color sensor. I bought for my little cousin the last Duplo train and it has the same feature - it can read the colors on some parts put in the middle of the track and acts consequently. I put a red tile on the track to simulate the stop condition.

Last thing, as you can see the couplers are fixed on one end and removable on the other end. This means the wagons can only be attached in one direction, as it happened in older toy trains.

If needed, the pull-along version can become a push-along train only substituting the normal wheels with train ones + round tiles with central hole.

I hope you like it! :classic:

Ciao!

Davide

This is AMAZING. Looks so clean and just so smart how you were able to fit the electronics in the cars, at first glance I thought it didn't look like there could be electronics in it.

Very clever. It looked good as a pull along style train. Better still when you see it is powered and then even better with the duplo style interactivity via the track.

That looks excellent. Love how it's almost stud-free!

Great building! Thanks for sharing :classic:

It would be nice to have it as a set (with both the pull and standard versions).

On 12/14/2020 at 3:59 PM, Reker1000000 said:

This is AMAZING. Looks so clean and just so smart how you were able to fit the electronics in the cars, at first glance I thought it didn't look like there could be electronics in it.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:02 PM, MAB said:

Very clever. It looked good as a pull along style train. Better still when you see it is powered and then even better with the duplo style interactivity via the track.

On 12/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, JintaiZ said:

That looks excellent. Love how it's almost stud-free!

On 12/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Andy Glascott said:

This is fabulous! 

Thanks!!! :blush:

On 12/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, cava said:

Great building! Thanks for sharing :classic:

It would be nice to have it as a set (with both the pull and standard versions).

Thank you very much! :wub:

On 12/14/2020 at 7:18 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Beautiful! Great little set

Thanks, sir! :classic:

21 hours ago, kieran said:

Great rendition, sizing is spot on yet it’s all Lego

Thank you!!!

Thanks to all for your kind feedbacks!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

"Uh oh...it seems MOM found me!!!"

Lego Wooden Train - XXL Version

This is the XXL version (x2) of the little wooden train - it can run on 45mm G-Scale track (for this reason you see a larger custom track with 5 studs between the rails) and it is powered by a PF L motor. Also this one can use PuP. To turn it on or off, just press the chimney!

Just for curiosity, it is my first XXL train not based on a 4,5v or 12v design and it is the first one to be completely studless. Being the small train long 16studs and 6 wide - it was an easy conversion.:laugh:

XXL chassis, motor and buffers are currently at their 4th generation and standard among all my XXL models.

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Davide at it again. It is unbelievable.

Wonderful. PUp at its best - but much more importantly: Bricks and plates at their best.

Spoiler

Just a completely miniature note: PUp wires may need a little bending inside that wagon, particularly when using the color sensor - and I would orient the PUp motor 6-wire band axis orthogonally to the coupling axis (that sounds stupid but can't phrase it better) - so a bit of bending here as well. Which is fine!!!

Thank you very much (again) for sharing!!!

All the very best,
Thorsten

18 hours ago, Toastie said:

Davide at it again. It is unbelievable.

Wonderful. PUp at its best - but much more importantly: Bricks and plates at their best.

Thank you very much (again) for sharing!!!

All the very best,
Thorsten 

Thanks Thorsten!!! You always have kind words for these little (and a little bigger sometimes) things I do! Thanks really. :blush:

Thanks also for the suggestion!!!

Just saw the train. I love how you incoorperated the Powered Up units. 
A link is forwarded to some folks that will really love this.

All the best

2 hours ago, Henning M. said:

Just saw the train. I love how you incoorperated the Powered Up units. 
A link is forwarded to some folks that will really love this.

All the best

Thank you very much, also for the forwarding! :)