ExeSandbox

[MOC] Umbrella Store

1 and a half years later, I finally built another Modular Building, WOOOO, hooray, yeah....

I thought I set a pretty high bar with the Doughnut Shop (if I do say so myself), because of that I had trouble thinking of what to build next thematically. So I went the entirely opposite direction, instead of giving it a unique footprint with a rich contrasting color scheme and basing it around an interesting subject, I made the Umbrella Shop a solid rectangular block with a subdued color scheme and gave it the least interesting subject, which is a shop that sells umbrellas. (hOw ExCiTiNg) Of course, then my job was to use those design cues and still make it look nice and interesting. I think I did a pretty good job (but you can be the judge of that. :laugh:)

50718219137_b7f960af7d_b.jpg

(Also just like my previous modular, many building techniques and details were stolen-...ahem...I mean...inspired by the Downtown Diner, some more obvious than others, because I practically worship that modular building at this point. I do feel like the style of this model turned out looking like a scale model building, rather than a LEGO Modular Buildings. But it is still in essence a modular building.)

Umbrella Store (Back)

I was initially clueless on how to design the back of the model, since I always pay all my attention to the front, So I just threw in whatever ideas I thought felt good to me. The shuttered windows was actually influenced by my house in which every single window would have a metal lattice placed over it (presumably to prevent easy break-ins.), 

Umbrella Store (Exploded)

Exploded view of the model. The tree can actually tilt forwards to allow the upper levels clearance to lift up, this was an accidental but needed feature because I just wanted a solid connection for the tree and the ratchet w/ cross axle receiver element worked for that. Strangely, of all the carefully crafted details in the model, the simple sloped skylight build is my favorite of them all, it really ties everything together nicely. But idk it could just be me.

50718216402_8cee7190b3_b.jpg

The interior for the titular store. From this view it doesn't look like much is going on unfortunately, but there are some more items and details from other angles. That vintage cash register is way oversized though...

50718216102_a153eaaa80_b.jpg

It's an odd decision for me to make everything but one item in black and white. But I just couldn't find the right color scheme and I wanted to give off a vintage vibe, so I thought nothing looks more vintage than black and white photographs. I thought the colored shelf looks pretty which is why I left it in.

Umbrella Store (Apartment)

A small little living space, but not good enough to fully sustain a life. The old school-ness really shows on this one with the typewriter and metal frame bed. 

50718215707_b05fbfcc4e_b.jpg

I'll probably get a raised eyebrow for this, but why is the bathroom fully exposed by a open window and a glass door!? But really, what's there for a minifigure to hide.? If you're one of those people that likes your minifigures a little spicy, ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) please seek help.     maybe I'm the one that needs help......

50718217232_f0c4950c07_b.jpg

Here's a pic of the iterations this model went through. The first iteration was very very rough and looks like garbage, I established some core ideas with it, but the proportions and window arrangement is bland and unattractive, so I fixed them in the second iteration. I've gotta be pretty careful with what details I add, because for a fairly "simple" building like this, small details can have a massive impact on the way it looks. 

Welp that's all from me, I hope you enjoyed looking at the model. I gained a lot of satisfaction from designing it, but I have been looking at it everyday for more than a month during designing and the exposure blindness is killing me so it's good to finally be done. 

Also I went through LEGO rehab and turned a new leaf, so I only used parts in available colors for this model. (well all except for 27150 Minifigure, Utensil Umbrella Folded. Old habits die hard.) Which means I was able to create instructions for this model. If you're interested, you can get it here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-59200/ExeSandbox/umbrella-store/#details (It's a hefty $20 though :sceptic: Do you think this model is worth that much, or should I lower it?)

I'd also like to hear what you think about this model. Be as un-objective and critical as possible, don't worry I won't feel bad at all. :laugh:

More pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/exesandbox/albums/72157717310853613

Edited by ExeSandbox
Forgot to add flickr link lol

The overall build is simply amazing!

I think the red axle could be replaced with a black one. (It appeared in some new sets)

Fantastic!  You see modular police station MOCS all the time, but an umbrella shop on the other hand - that’s a niche idea and very well executed.

Most excellent ExeSandbox! Your Donut Shop was beautiful and this is as well. The snot facade, the bar plate pieces upside-down for the window trim, that cash register, the textile work on the second floor draped over the table, typewriter, pith helmet sink. Brilliant designs, connections and parts usage abound and a very fresh subject. The thought and dedication shows everywhere. A fantastic creation you've made!

On 12/14/2020 at 9:05 PM, jalemac34 said:

Really, really nice

The choice of colors

The exteriors-interiors are fantastic

Good job

Thanks @jalemac34, I'm really glad you like it! 

22 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

The overall build is simply amazing!

I think the red axle could be replaced with a black one. (It appeared in some new sets)

Thanks! Yeah, that's true. For some reason I quite like the technic connector eyesore. :laugh: But I do have to keep the consistency of the look in mind too.

22 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Fantastic!  You see modular police station MOCS all the time, but an umbrella shop on the other hand - that’s a niche idea and very well executed.

Thanks a lot! Perhaps I should make a challenge for myself to find the most niche subject to make a modular on. :grin:

17 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Most excellent ExeSandbox! Your Donut Shop was beautiful and this is as well. The snot facade, the bar plate pieces upside-down for the window trim, that cash register, the textile work on the second floor draped over the table, typewriter, pith helmet sink. Brilliant designs, connections and parts usage abound and a very fresh subject. The thought and dedication shows everywhere. A fantastic creation you've made!

Thank you very much @koalayummies, I appreciate it!  :laugh: Glad you spotted all those little details too, quite a many of them were actually born out of dumb luck by random experimentation or I happen to come across a picture that had a particular detail I liked and decided to include it. 

This looks rather brilliant. Very realistic looking building.

Looks like there's some nice snot-work hidden in the facade.

Well done!

Oh, and the usage of that Harry Potter Window print in the phone booth is strikingly simple yet utterly brilliant.

Edited by ReplicaOfLife

Well, this is exactly type of building which I miss in Modulars... Those clear lines, simply Facade only with balconies, rain gutter. I love it!

22 hours ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

This looks rather brilliant. Very realistic looking building.

Looks like there's some nice snot-work hidden in the facade.

Well done!

Oh, and the usage of that Harry Potter Window print in the phone booth is strikingly simple yet utterly brilliant.

Thank you! Yup, this building is covered in more SNOT than a five year old's toy. :laugh_hard: 

I've been planning to include a phone booth quite a while back and the Diagon Alley came just in time!

21 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

Fantastic job.  I might have to get the Rebrickable file for this one.

Thanks, hope you enjoy it!

21 hours ago, Vlado_sk said:

Well, this is exactly type of building which I miss in Modulars... Those clear lines, simply Facade only with balconies, rain gutter. I love it!

Thanks you very much too! Yeah I noticed that many modular builds are often filled to the brim with details and that's totally not a bad thing as everybody seem to really like that, but I wanted to see iif I can take a different approach for this model.

4 hours ago, peedeejay said:

I‘m really in love with this one. Haven‘t seen such a style yet. Great!

Thanks, I appreciate it! Glad you're really in love with the building! 

This really is spectacular. The colors are excellent, especially all the wood tones on the first floor. I really like the black fabric hanging off the table sides. Also, great accessibility bathroom fixtures.

Edited by gotoAndLego

NPU with the helmet for a wash-basin! This has a very smart appearance, it would look at home on Savile Row for sure. Also, love that phone box, a very good representation of one.

Thanks for sharing it on the forum :classic:

A fantastic build.  I could almost imagine seeing this in any one of a number of UK towns.  I love some of the little details, and having a raised walkway through to the rear like that is a great way of removing the desire to make a narrow ‘filler’ building, or stretch the main building too wide.

The MOC itself is great.. but it's your photos /  renders that take  it to the next level. Seriously,  these are better than the official 'Adult' photos they've been using for Expert sets.  

What are the printed windows for the phone box please?

(And yes  the cash register  is a bit large,  looks like a baby pipe organ haha)

Wow!!
A very great building! The color scheme is striking, as are the design solutions and execution technique!