Jerac

The Tribute to The Razor Crest - Released!

5 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

+1 for the good looking moc.

-1 for charging the community for instructions.

That is an alarmingly ignorant and shortsighted viewpoint you have there. I can only assume you don’t know or understand what it takes to bring a model of this calibre (or any calibre for that fact) to the stage where it is considered fit for the public to build. Also, and I speak from experience here, Brickvault have some of the strictest criteria around for accepting Mocs into their store which often requires even more work from the creator. The fact that you think all of the time, effort and investment we put into making our creations the best they can be for others to build shouldn’t warrant us asking for a (comparatively tiny) payment for them is absolutely baffling to me.

41 minutes ago, LDigital said:

This makes me quite sad But I understand. Whenever I see anyone buying the knock off version I always encourage them to go buy the official instructions. Every build of yours I have done has been special and I look forward to these like I do Lego UCS releases. The expectation for this quality of instruction to be free is absurd. 

Yeah and I'm not looking forward to the instructions for mine - and I think you've seen what I've got going on behind the curtain - I may end up getting yelled at for my chosen paths lol.

One things for sure...Chinese knockoffs will never have that kind of quality or care. I'd rather deal with the original author/creator - even if its more expensive.

Guys, it is okay.

He's got an oppinion he is totally right to have. We don't have to agree just as he doesn't have to agree with instructions' price... and that's it. Nobody got hurt! 

24 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Guys, it is okay.

He's got an oppinion he is totally right to have. We don't have to agree just as he doesn't have to agree with instructions' price... and that's it. Nobody got hurt! 

Well… I dropped my iPad on my foot while I was trying to type. That hurt. Does that count? 😜

48 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

Well… I dropped my iPad on my foot while I was trying to type. That hurt. Does that count? 😜

So long as the screen didn't crack. :)

That reminds me.... I have to buy the instructions soon.. So far I'd say 90% of parts have been acquired..

Can't wait to start building this..... 

6 hours ago, TK4235 said:

That reminds me.... I have to buy the instructions soon.. So far I'd say 90% of parts have been acquired..

Can't wait to start building this..... 

Its a great build, the odd frustration is always outweighed by the enjoyment of it coming together and then the clever little sub builds which then bring it together so well.  

Thanks for the response @Hold0511 and @Jerac, i think i will save up, because you were right, after closer inspection, i did fid those flaws and gaps you were talking about! thanks for the response and i guess i will just stick to my system scale moc while i save up for your amazing ucs one! 

Edit: and personally, the instructions for this moc are so worth it!

Edited by Ravager

5 hours ago, Ravager said:

Thanks for the response @Hold0511 and @Jerac, i think i will save up, because you were right, after closer inspection, i did fid those flaws and gaps you were talking about! thanks for the response and i guess i will just stick to my system scale moc while i save up for your amazing ucs one! 

Edit: and personally, the instructions for this moc are so worth it!

You won't regret it.

I know Brick Vault have released updated instructions of some MOCs, such as the U-Wing, UCS Ghost and Jerac's TIEs. Can this version of the RC be considered to be definitive or are the instructions likely to be significantly updated at some point?

I'm definitely going to build it sooner or later but I don't want to start accumulating pieces until the instructions are 100% finished.

Edited by Csaba

4 minutes ago, Csaba said:

I know Brick Vault have released updated instructions of some MOCs, such as the U-Wing, UCS Ghost and Jerac's TIEs. Can this version of the RC be considered to be definitive or are the instructions likely to be significantly updated at some point?

I'm definitely going to build it sooner or later but I don't want to start accumulating pieces until the instructions are 100% finished,

No creation is ever 100% finished.

Over time, new parts are released by LEGO and new ideas are born. Once enough of those accumulate, then a model may get an update.

That said, while there are some ideas I have to improve the RC, they are all related to ease of build and durability. I am pleased with the extrenal look and as of now I do not plan to change it as of now.

7 minutes ago, Jerac said:

No creation is ever 100% finished.

Over time, new parts are released by LEGO and new ideas are born. Once enough of those accumulate, then a model may get an update.

That said, while there are some ideas I have to improve the RC, they are all related to ease of build and durability. I am pleased with the extrenal look and as of now I do not plan to change it as of now.

Thanks for the quick response.

Just a quick one. Where are the 6 x Trans Clear Modified Headlight bricks used? I cant find where. I want to use them in eh canopy construction, but don't want to stuff it up.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Parra_Eels said:

Just a quick one. Where are the 6 x Trans Clear Modified Headlight bricks used? I cant find where. I want to use them in eh canopy construction, but don't want to stuff it up.

Cheers

I think they are used around the light brick stage - on a quick scan through 4 are used in step 343.  The cockpit (assuming using the Lego canopy piece) uses black modified headlight pieces for the transparent cheese wedges (744 and 754).

Edited by Hold0511

3 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

I think they are used around the light brick stage - on a quick scan through 4 are used in step 343.  The cockpit (assuming using the Lego canopy piece) uses black modified headlight pieces for the transparent cheese wedges (744 and 754).

Yep, you're spot on! Apparently there's a need for 6 in the total build - I can't seem to know where the other two go?

Thanks for the advice.

Rob

I assumed the same thing when I started building mine, I can't recall the other two but they are easy to miss when flicking through the PDF quickly.

12 minutes ago, Jerac said:

ciKRUhI.png

They are there to allow the light to spread a bit better.

Thanks Jerac,

The other 2 are up front. I haven't built that section. I'm up to 763. But Wow, what a build. You have pushed all the physical boundaries on build techniques!!!!

Thanks for everything!

Cheers,

Rob

First and foremost the biggest thank you to Jerac and Brickvault for giving us the opportunity to build this intricate, detailed, huge and in most parts accurate and definately beautiful Moc!

I loved every second of building it. So many ingenious building techniques, the way you made this large model so sturdy and how you managed to capture the studless metal plating look of the in-universe craft is really showing your skill as a builder/designer and also as a construction manual creator.

While I was very happy with most aspects of the model, I wanted to work on some areas, namely the engine intakes, the angle of the lower back, the cargo ramp in the back, the detailing on the side doors , the rear part of the cannons and the actually asymmetrical yellow markings on the side walls. Additionaly I wanted to add some weathering to make the ship look a bit more bumped up and visually interesting as nothing in the old era star wars is really pristine looking.

The engine intakes were my main focus as I just didn't like the understud look and the visible tube from the original design. @Lfm55 's version gave me some ideas so i basically took the design with the 1x1 cheeseslopes and the inner intake but came up with my own design for the cone to make it more smooth with less gaps and in my opinion a bit more accurate. I am very happy with how this turned out.

The other bigger modification was the lower back. looking at reference pictures, I figured the angle on the original design was a bit too steep. And as i was redesigning that area already, I also reworked the cargo camp to be actually framed by the backwall and I added some fake actuators asweel. I know the ramp is now too small but this was my personal preference.

Thanks again to Jerac for this awesome model. I absolutely love to look at it everyday with it standing next to my work-desk.
nRCdjWC.jpeg

Edited by bobs_cycle_shop

Ohohoh, what a fantastic mod! I love what you did, most notably the subltle weathering everywhere, doors and most notably engine fronts. Can you show how is it done?

This might be a good good reason for an update!

The mods look great - awesome job. 

Always interested in good engine nacelle front changes - if your willing to share as Jerac asks then I'd even redo the shiny beast's nacelles for that look.  Time to bust out the spare metallic pieces......

I just finished building this a couple of weeks ago. I tried the engine intake mod but wasn't able to pull it off. The fan portion was sticking out too far to connect the ring of cheese slopes to the plates with clips.  The stand you come up with is really nice as well, bobs_cycle_shop.

Edited by sandtrooper

Yup same here with trying and not landing on the various engine mods - I ended up simply adding wedges to the clips to give it a little more shape.

RzEng3.jpg

Edited by Hold0511

I wanted to add some shiny after I completed this build. But I could only afford 1x1 rounds! lol

I still need to change out my radar dishes too!

52232983700_647357cd0e_w.jpg