Jerac

The Tribute to The Razor Crest - Released!

18 hours ago, LDigital said:

Ah ok, I’ll probably just get on with it then I can’t wait that long. If and when that happens would you provide a conversion Parts list and directions for those who want to upgrade later?

Transformation parts list - yes, conversion instructions - no, sorry. Way too much work to do such an instructions, especially considering how no software supports disassembly. It is better to build new stuff!

Edited by Jerac

Do y’all use the stand for display or the landing pads? I think it looks nice on the display but I’m still having the forward tilt problem as the ship on the stand is very front heavy 

7 hours ago, Naixin said:

Do y’all use the stand for display or the landing pads? I think it looks nice on the display but I’m still having the forward tilt problem as the ship on the stand is very front heavy 

Display on the stand - but I've had it break on me when the cabinet its displayed on was knocked, the wobble caused the stand to go at the front - luckily I caused the bump so was able to catch the ship before it hit the floor with some minor separation.  I made some minor changes to the stand but it still seems to be under a lot of stress from the weight.

G'day Jerac,

Still putting the pieces together for this beast. Is r84 still the current iteration of the Jerac Razor Crest?

Don't want to miss out on any updates.

Cheers mate,

Rob

10 minutes ago, Parra_Eels said:

G'day Jerac,

Still putting the pieces together for this beast. Is r84 still the current iteration of the Jerac Razor Crest?

Don't want to miss out on any updates.

Cheers mate,

Rob

Thanks!

Yeah, v84 is final and will stay final for a while. I have a plan for a major update in the future, but I want ideas and reports of issues to pile in before I do that.

2 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Display on the stand - but I've had it break on me when the cabinet its displayed on was knocked, the wobble caused the stand to go at the front - luckily I caused the bump so was able to catch the ship before it hit the floor with some minor separation.  I made some minor changes to the stand but it still seems to be under a lot of stress from the weight.

That's quite unusual, hm. I'll look in to that. Could you please take a photo of the stand near the 1x2 bracket in front of it? Ideally both normal and upside down orientation?

10 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

What changes have you made?

7 hours ago, Jerac said:

Thanks!

Yeah, v84 is final and will stay final for a while. I have a plan for a major update in the future, but I want ideas and reports of issues to pile in before I do that.

That's quite unusual, hm. I'll look in to that. Could you please take a photo of the stand near the 1x2 bracket in front of it? Ideally both normal and upside down orientation?

Yes will do - away at the moment but I'll do that when I get back.

21 minutes ago, Naixin said:

What changes have you made?

Can't recall the specifics - check page 6 of the thread (instructions 1492 > 1494) - mine sound similar to Naixin so I played around as others have done with the bracket and removed the hinge.  Ill check and confirm once back home.

It begins!  Currently looking like episode 14 version

I find the lack of technic beams disturbing.....

....for something so big and sturdy

Photo%2017-06-2021,%2014%2027%2025.jpg

Edited by LDigital

7 hours ago, LDigital said:

It begins!  Currently looking like episode 14 version

I find the lack of technic beams disturbing.....

....for something so big and sturdy

I wish i had those drawers when i built it instead of a bunch of ziplocks :)

It would had saved me a lot of time looking for pieces..

Yes, that’s unusual to no have any technic structures, but it’s not your average build of everyday,

enjoy it!

I’m around 1/3 in now and this is a simply incredible build. I can’t believe how solid this thing is considering there are literally a handful of Technic beams in the whole thing.  
It’s a master class in what is possible with Lego system builds. I would argue that so far the core of this build is probably more structurally stable and secure than anything you could have achieved with Technic. The way everything braces and counter braces as you build is a work of genius. It’s absolutely rock solid. 

I am absolutely blown away by this build so far and can’t wait to see what Jerac does next.

Edit: added pictures

Photo%2022-06-2021,%2020%2055%2010.jpg

Photo%2022-06-2021,%2022%2057%2007.jpg

Edited by LDigital

anyone else have issues with step #448? I cannot seem to get the rods far enough into the technic piece so that it is flush on both ends

is there something I'm missing?

If its too long, let it stick out to the bottom,

There’s nothing in the way i think.

But it shouldn’t stick out too much or i would remember that.

the lightsaber rod is the perfect length in theory, but mine dont want to go through the technic connectors (all the way through at least).

its almost as if the connectors are too skinny in the centre, or the rods are too thick to fit

image.png.03ffc55e2441b9120078486786b33258.png

@Jerac sorry to tag you Jerac, but just wondering if the standard Bar 4L should be fitting within the Technic Pin without any modifications or excessive force?  I feel like if I put anymore pressure that the bar will snap

Check your technic pin connectors maybe,

There’s at least two versions of it. Maybe the new version without the small holes is thighter.

https://ramblingbrick.com/2021/01/27/what-if-they-introduced-a-new-technic-pin-and-nobody-noticed/

Otherwise, no idea, I didn’t experienced any trouble at this step.

Edit : nervermind, i managed to find both versions of the connector, both work fine.. 

Edited by Lfm55

no you were correct, it is my pins, for most of them the rod doesnt fit (they might be older ones I had from before)

I did find 2 that the rod slides in with no problem at all

1 minute ago, gottabekd said:

no you were correct, it is my pins, for most of them the rod doesnt fit (they might be older ones I had from before)

I did find 2 that the rod slides in with no problem at all

Allright then!
Glad i could help ;)

im nearly there now, its starting to look really good.  I am still super impressed with the genius of it all but I have found getting all the alignments sorted at the front end is incredibly difficult.  I dont know if I am expecting it  to be too perfect but this is definitely the weakest point of the model.  the entire front can pop off quite easily and has done so quite a lot while I have been fiddling with that area.  I have gotten things about as good as I am going to get them now unless anyone has some tips.  

The ones that are annoying me the most are getting the lines that run alongside the cockpit through to the middle exactly perfect.  It feels impossible to keep it tight near the front as there are too many parts all competing for space and its quite a weak area. in my second pic you can see the sloped grills getting more and more exposed.  I am not sure  if it should be like this as everyone elses pictures look flush but I cant get it like that 

Photo%2027-06-2021,%2000%2043%2010.jpg

Photo%2027-06-2021,%2000%2043%2017.jpg

2 hours ago, LDigital said:

im nearly there now, its starting to look really good.  I am still super impressed with the genius of it all but I have found getting all the alignments sorted at the front end is incredibly difficult.  I dont know if I am expecting it  to be too perfect but this is definitely the weakest point of the model.  the entire front can pop off quite easily and has done so quite a lot while I have been fiddling with that area.  I have gotten things about as good as I am going to get them now unless anyone has some tips.  

The ones that are annoying me the most are getting the lines that run alongside the cockpit through to the middle exactly perfect.  It feels impossible to keep it tight near the front as there are too many parts all competing for space and its quite a weak area. in my second pic you can see the sloped grills getting more and more exposed.  I am not sure  if it should be like this as everyone elses pictures look flush but I cant get it like that 

Photo%2027-06-2021,%2000%2043%2010.jpg

Photo%2027-06-2021,%2000%2043%2017.jpg

I had the same issues you described. It took some time but I was able to get everything lined up. The front falling off was also an issue. 

I think if all the parts I used were new it wouldn't have been as big of issue though. 

5 hours ago, LDigital said:

I am not sure  if it should be like this as everyone elses pictures look flush but I cant get it like that 

Nope I also had the same problems but suggest to "fettle" it at the end once its all done - then its about just getting it as best you can - there will be little gaps if you look at my and other pics - but with trial and error you can get it about right.  

I had to 'train' my front end using an elastic band to reduce the gap against the cockpit. The gaps that really bothers me are those at top of the entrance doors either side of the shop. Still not happy with them.

11 hours ago, Zer0100ne said:

I had the same issues you described. It took some time but I was able to get everything lined up. The front falling off was also an issue. 

I think if all the parts I used were new it wouldn't have been as big of issue though. 

Yeah, this is definitely something I need to fix one day, as it is possible but hard to get right. I recommend investigating whether front ball joints on the triangle sections hold properly. If you can't get it right PM on instagram jerac.lego, we'll figure it out!

21 hours ago, gottabekd said:

image.png.03ffc55e2441b9120078486786b33258.png

@Jerac sorry to tag you Jerac, but just wondering if the standard Bar 4L should be fitting within the Technic Pin without any modifications or excessive force?  I feel like if I put anymore pressure that the bar will snap

You have amazing collection of old technic pins!

"new" technic pins - tho the change was like 20 years ago - are allowing for bar passthrough, and old ones do not. 

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Yeah, this is definitely something I need to fix one day, as it is possible but hard to get right. I recommend investigating whether front ball joints on the triangle sections hold properly. If you can't get it right PM on instagram jerac.lego, we'll figure it out!

I got it figured out. Realized it was best to wait till everything was built and then get everything lined up right. Everything has stayed in place since. 

Your willingness to help is always appreciated though! :) 

Any chance you'd wanna share what you're working on now?

It is finished

What an amazing model and an amazing build.

It pains me to say  it but it looks so good that it actually makes some of my other sets look really dated in comparison. Its sat next to the UCS shuttle and that thing really needs a facelift now.  I need to rebuild the cockpit completely to be happy with it.

I made 2 little mods to mine.  The rear tail in which I did not like the large gap so did some filling and I added working stud shooters to the guns due to heavy complaints from my Son

"Dad, how is this an upgrade to the old Razor crest if it does not even shoot! I cant believe you took the old one apart for this" :(

SACRILEGE! I hear you say.... Normally shooters have no place on my models but I think I was able to integrate them into the guns in a way that I am happy with

I never was able to get the canopy lines perfect even with hours of fiddling

Photo%2029-06-2021,%2010%2053%2056.jpg

Photo%2029-06-2021,%2010%2053%2040.jpg

Photo%2029-06-2021,%2010%2020%2022.jpg

Photo%2029-06-2021,%2010%2020%2038.jpg

Photo%2029-06-2021,%2010%2026%2005.jpg