Jerac

The Tribute to The Razor Crest - Released!

3 hours ago, blackman88 said:

- Interior is mainly dbg tiles, and exterior is mainly lbg and very little tan colour.  If you don't need interior, you can replace most of the parts with any colour, and ignore those dbg tiles.  If you need interior, you need to have dbg tiles. 

Just be warned: some of them are structural. Keep the tiles which are attached to side walls of the interior, they are crucial for longitudal stability of the model. Though they can be of any color, and can really be plates.

Edited by Jerac

It’s done!

Amazing build, the intrication of the bricks is sometimes something i haven’t seen pushed this far.

The build was really pleasant, i enjoyed it a lot more than the x-wing.

There’s no assembly that crumble when you try to add a brick. (Maybe just some parts annoying near the canopy)

Here’s mine built. i didn’t modded it yet, just some part substitutions with parts i had in stock or for my color taste.

I might try to rework those clip around the engine, that’s the only thing that bothers me (a little), but I can’t think of a better solution right now..

51062535122_3915115fcb_b.jpg

Thank you Jerac for that stellar design!

Happy that you like it!

As for the clips, rotate them way way way more inward. The idea is that the *side* of a clip is the front side of the engine, not the clip's underside. Then it will look much better.

how sturdy is this thing, can it be handled ok?

This is on my bucket list but it just looks so expensive.  I am waiting to see how the UCS sets look this year before deciding if I put the money towards one of them or this badboy

19 minutes ago, LDigital said:

how sturdy is this thing, can it be handled ok?

This is on my bucket list but it just looks so expensive.  I am waiting to see how the UCS sets look this year before deciding if I put the money towards one of them or this badboy

a while back Jerac posted a video of him tossing it onto his bed and it remained intact, so it's certainly very strong. Bricklink's showcase video also said that it was built extremely tough. 

2 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

Here’s mine built. 

Looking mighty sweet - I like some of the colour swap outs on the engines - looks nice and used.  Great diorama as well!

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Happy that you like it!

As for the clips, rotate them way way way more inward. The idea is that the *side* of a clip is the front side of the engine, not the clip's underside. Then it will look much better.

Did it, didn’t realise these could be pushed more inward! Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

Looking mighty sweet - I like some of the colour swap outs on the engines - looks nice and used.  Great diorama as well!

Thanks too, I used some sand green, dark tan, mettalic gray and sand blue accents. It can’t be seen on that picture but i like it better this way than all gray.

I finally got my build finished this week.

JfIhBbWl.jpg?1

As you can see, I made a few minor adjustments.

It isn't visible, but internally I substituted a lot of pieces which were not going to be seen (basically anything tan or brown was fair game, barring pieces for the cockpit and sides).

I was building my own MOC of the Razor Crest when Jerac posted his first pictures. I had my own engines and guns 90% completed. They were about the same scale, so I decided to use them on Jerac's model.

ZUix4yHl.jpg

I used parts of Jerac's gun design, as I liked it better.

tgCoJlzl.jpg

I've shortened the cockpit tube and moved the windows around, and lengthened the area in front of the escape pod to compensate.

oyMiRQNl.jpg

Finally, I used the three-piece window solution (because I had the parts) and created a set of custom stickers to complete the cockpit.

hSkFGxDl.jpg

Here is a copy of my window stickers, in case any of you want them for your own builds:

YWW9lY4.png

Spoiler

Please don't shout at me about the non-purist, painted bricks.

The only reasonable alternative colours were Dark grey and silver, where are going for stupid prices online: and I wanted them to match the rest of the model.

If you can suggest a purist alternative please feel free...

First engine swap! :D
I hope it was not too hard to do? 

I am not sure if I am a fan of their front ends, but certainly they are cleaner.

Your guns are pure awesome, and cockpit looks just as good as the original one. Good job!

15 minutes ago, Jerac said:

First engine swap! :D
I hope it was not too hard to do?

Not too hard. The trickiest bit was moving the centers of the engines out by a stud to accomodate the extra girth.

I've been looking for the "perfect" Razor Crest engine fronts for a while now. Yours come close in many ways,but I wanted something that was mine :-).

Thank you for the nice words about the cockpit and guns.

1 hour ago, ScottishDave said:

As you can see, I made a few minor adjustments.

Looking mighty fine, are those the engine disks from the ARC 170? - I nabbed a couple of those before Xmas but I could not find a way of using them without the red being too distracting.  Those guns look great - especially using the the level bases for the nozzles - genius!

The canopy looks spot on.

I've just finished mine and will put some pics on in the morning.  It needs some fettling here and there to close out some gaps - the nose only needs to be touched and it will fall off, and the gaps on the rear of the front cargo bay door are already bugging me....

(PS - loving your Boba helmet - thats a lot of time and effort into that baby but its looking so so good)

TIs done - very happy with this. enjoyable to build, some clever techniques (its a Jerac build after all) and a great set of instructions.  Some fiddly bits and some areas which I'll need to tighten up but its now got pride of place in my SW lego 

JeracRZ1.jpg

JeracRZ2.jpg

JeracRZ5.jpg

JeracRZ4.jpg

1 hour ago, Hold0511 said:

TIs done - very happy with this. enjoyable to build, some clever techniques (its a Jerac build after all) and a great set of instructions.  Some fiddly bits and some areas which I'll need to tighten up but its now got pride of place in my SW lego 

Wow,  really like it!

Didn’t even knew there was that many part available in metallic gray.

Beautiful!

JeracRZ1.jpg

JeracRZ2.jpg

JeracRZ5.jpg

JeracRZ4.jpg

Looks stunning in metallic silver, although I don't even want to imagine the cost of such an attempt. Good job!

26 minutes ago, Lfm55 said:

Wow,  really like it!

Didn’t even knew there was that many part available in metallic gray.

Beautiful!

If only....I raided the BL and BnP stock of metallic and flat silver parts (man are they pricey...I thought getting lots of LBG plates was a pain for my SD but try getting a load of silver wedges and plates and watch that cart rack up) , plus some pearl dark grey pieces but sadly a lot of parts are not in that colour.  I echo the comment of ScottishDave in his post so its not one for the purists, but for the RZ I broke out the paint...

Edited by Hold0511

I don’t think I could bring myself to paint my Lego, especially considering the cost and hurting the value of the parts, but that being said, holy-smokes that looks incredible. To my eyes the smoothness of the model itself and the paint job make it look like a real movie prop. I want this model so bad.

Edited by LDigital

23 minutes ago, CaptainSerMig said:

Looks stunning in metallic silver, although I don't even want to imagine the cost of such an attempt. Good job!

Thanks.  To be fair Jerac's nailing of the angles of the ship makes it work - I suspect it would not work as well on the original Lego 75292 as its so boxy and does not get the shape right. 

As much as the original vrs silver parts cost, the painful part was the LBG re-colouring - its a mix of original metallic silver, flat silver, PDG and LBG with key external pieces then sprayed individually to get the patchy effect.  

13 minutes ago, LDigital said:

I don’t think I could bring myself to paint my Lego, especially considering the cost and hurting the value of the parts, bit that being said, holy-smokes that looks incredible. To my eyes the smoothness of the model itself and the paint job make it look like a real movie prop. I want this model so bad.

Thank you - as above its kudos to Jeracs skills to provide the shaping .

Funny though I found that some of the lego parts are the same (if you rub some of the silver printed pieces they are LBG underneath...I thought I'd found a cheaper way to get hold of metallic silver plates and figured I'd do the usual gentle rubbing off of the print and voila, but no I found the silver comes off as well and its a regular LBG) and a quick spray of some Elbow Grease spray and the part is back to its original state, so its not permanent or destructive (well I admit there is a lemony freshness aroma on the test part I did for a couple of days but it wears off).  But its not something I'd want to do again or with any other builds - once was enough....

Edited by Hold0511

Allright !

I wouldn’t paint my bricks either ( looks a lot of work ) but i really admire the result,

that’s really clean.

4 minutes ago, Lfm55 said:

Allright !

I wouldn’t paint my bricks either ( looks a lot of work ) but i really admire the result,

that’s really clean.

Thanks - sorry meant to say thanks in replying to your first post (my bad - New rule for myself don't reply on a forum when doing work at the same time)

Edited by Hold0511

Finally over 98% of parts ordered. I hit 92% and was struggling to find a reasonably priced store that had the rest of the pieces. I'd have ended up making many small orders that would have added a daft amount in postage/additional costs... I went to the PaB on their website, oh what a relief!! I also used their replacement part service as that had more parts that weren't listed in their PaB service. Across both of those, I am now only 3 lots short of 100% (1 of them being 2 more light bricks which I think I have somewhere, one being the 1x1 clips which I want to use the stronger thicker clips than the thin ones, and the last being dark grey studs on top-bottom tile thing). 

Most of my lego is in the loft, unsorted, in multiple boxes, and difficult to get to as well as causing either an achey back or achey legs depending how I crouch) But, I wish I'd have spent hours before hitting 90% because I found I had more pieces that I knew I'd have needed if not already ordered... 

Anyway. My PaB order from TLG relevant to the razorcrest cost around £40. Back on BrickLink I'd already hit £70 and still needed more. 

While TLG's PaB can appear expensive, if you're really looking to save money, I'd highly recommend looking there sooner and compare the average price to TLG's because a lot of the newer parts are a fair bit more expensive on BL, as are a lot of the random usual pieces. I dread to think how much I could have saved if I'd done this sooner (forgot hol0511 specified certain parts too!! Damned memory...) 

Edited by Fuppylodders

I I echo the comment of ScottishDave in his post so its not one for the purists, but for the RZ I broke out the paint...

This looks absolutely stunning. It's beautiful, I love it.

The patchwork effect of slightly different colours really helps sell it.

I also feel better that someone else felt it worthwhile getting out the paint for this model :laugh:.

14 hours ago, Hold0511 said:

Looking mighty fine, are those the engine disks from the ARC 170? - I nabbed a couple of those before Xmas but I could not find a way of using them without the red being too distracting.  Those guns look great - especially using the the level bases for the nozzles - genius!

(PS - loving your Boba helmet - thats a lot of time and effort into that baby but its looking so so good)

Yes to the ARC-170 parts. I think the red doesn't look too bad, but I might design some stickers and put them on blank dishes at some point.

Thank you for the nice comments :-).

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Finally over 98% of parts ordered. I hit 92% and was struggling to find a reasonably priced store that had the rest of the pieces. I'd have ended up making many small orders that would have added a daft amount in postage/additional costs... I went to the PaB on their website, oh what a relief!! I also used their replacement part service as that had more parts that weren't listed in their PaB service. Across both of those, I am now only 3 lots short of 100% (1 of them being 2 more light bricks which I think I have somewhere, one being the 1x1 clips which I want to use the stronger thicker clips than the thin ones, and the last being dark grey studs on top-bottom tile thing). 

Most of my lego is in the loft, unsorted, in multiple boxes, and difficult to get to as well as causing either an achey back or achey legs depending how I crouch) But, I wish I'd have spent hours before hitting 90% because I found I had more pieces that I knew I'd have needed if not already ordered... 

Anyway. My PaB order from TLG relevant to the razorcrest cost around £40. Back on BrickLink I'd already hit £70 and still needed more. 

While TLG's PaB can appear expensive, if you're really looking to save money, I'd highly recommend looking there sooner and compare the average price to TLG's because a lot of the newer parts are a fair bit more expensive on BL, as are a lot of the random usual pieces. I dread to think how much I could have saved if I'd done this sooner (forgot hol0511 specified certain parts too!! Damned memory...) 

I feel your pain in the loft - I'd sorted mine quite well but for the last 12 months just thrown parts into boxes as I moved everything into the loft as we moved rooms around due to the kids growing (they dont seem to stop doing that....).  Hence as well as I'd thought I'd done I was still scrabbling around earlier this week looking for those last few ruddy clips...

Hopefully your BnP won't take too long - it took 7 weeks for mine to get picked but to be fair actually went from posted to into my mits in 3 days.

This looks absolutely stunning. It's beautiful, I love it.

The patchwork effect of slightly different colours really helps sell it.

I also feel better that someone else felt it worthwhile getting out the paint for this model :laugh:.

Thanks muchly - I wanted to try to avoid it looking like a one coat Hasbro model so I am chuffed that worked out.   I only used one colour but tried to mix it up by using the met/flat silvers, PDG and dotted LBGs to break it up. 

Ha yes indeed, I was just finishing mine when I read your post and thought glad someone did it first!.   

Yes to the ARC-170 parts. I think the red doesn't look too bad, but I might design some stickers and put them on blank dishes at some point.

Thank you for the nice comments :-).

Cool - there was a very old (train I think) set of blades on a similar but black part which looked like it could work but I could not find any in the UK.   

33 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

Cool - there was a very old (train I think) set of blades on a similar but black part which looked like it could work but I could not find any in the UK.   

Tell a lie, it was this part, not ARC 170 at all, sorry.

I did think about using the ARC part but it was too small.

I haven't come across that train part and can't seem to find it in the Bricklink catalog. Do you have a link perchance?

1 hour ago, Jerac said:

fkin hell.

@Hold0511I think you crashed Jerac's brain. Anyone here know how to reboot a Master Builder?