Jerac

The Tribute to The Razor Crest - Released!

4 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Looking good! 
So glad you like it.

You can fold the 1x1 tiles on the turbines' fronts way more inside, the edge will be nicier. Something like here:

8jJzBf4.png

Thanks for the tip. Will do 😊. Any ideas regarding my two questions above?

Sorry, I didn't notice them!

Alright so: 
- Yes, the lights are supposed to be on when sliders are pushed in. Unfortunately, those light bricks are notorious for having issues. If the rear one is acting up you're lucky, since this one is easier to remove. Try doing so, unscrewing it, cleaning everything inside and installing again. There's not really much place where the sliders can got in terms of misalignment.
- Could be, though I never encountered this.

Can you show close up photos of the doors handles and the ramp piece? Maybe I can spot something off.

14 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Sorry, I didn't notice them!

Alright so: 
- Yes, the lights are supposed to be on when sliders are pushed in. Unfortunately, those light bricks are notorious for having issues. If the rear one is acting up you're lucky, since this one is easier to remove. Try doing so, unscrewing it, cleaning everything inside and installing again. There's not really much place where the sliders can got in terms of misalignment.
- Could be, though I never encountered this.

Can you show close up photos of the doors handles and the ramp piece? Maybe I can spot something off.

Thanks for the quick reply. Interestingly, the light brick fully lights up when the lever system is pushed in a certain angle. But yeah, probably have to get this thing out. Also needed to do this with one of the front ones. There, the problem was the switch needed to go in all the way so that the contact to both batteries was made. Here, I bent the metal contact a bit so that the light goes on with minimal press of the switch. Probably have to do this for the rear one as well 🙁. Really unfortunate as I checked everything multiple times during the build.

As for the doors, I included a close-up view. As already mentioned: The door pieces will simply not stay in place. Do they need to be slightly rotated?

0E7E6765-0FC2-45CB-A13B-2D3ADC9E1968.jpeg

E2182005-F265-485C-9E66-EB19EC935702.jpeg

Edited by Mace Handowan

Hmm, regarding the door pieces, the angle should not matter. You are attaching them to a circle after all.

You can check if they can be attached to the bottom of any 2xN plate. If they can, then your 4x4 tile is faulty. If not - the door pieces.

Also they have to be pushed in quite strongly; this is not an "official" connection.
Btw can you link your ramp piece photo in a way that I can see it in full resolution? It is too small for me right now to detect any irregularities in the tiles' bottoms.

And I'd also need a photo of the doors' handles.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:38 PM, Jerac said:

Hmm, regarding the door pieces, the angle should not matter. You are attaching them to a circle after all.

You can check if they can be attached to the bottom of any 2xN plate. If they can, then your 4x4 tile is faulty. If not - the door pieces.

Also they have to be pushed in quite strongly; this is not an "official" connection.
Btw can you link your ramp piece photo in a way that I can see it in full resolution? It is too small for me right now to detect any irregularities in the tiles' bottoms.

And I'd also need a photo of the doors' handles.

Will try to link the photos of the ramp piece and the doors‘ handles.

Regarding the lighting system: Are the levers really supposed to stay in after being pushed to activate the lights?

And one more question: When standing on its landing gear, is the model supposed to stand perfectly straight? Because mine has a slight angle (front side being lower than the back side)?

FEE894B3-6464-4E0D-AFD8-333B35615A54.jpeg

Well, linking the images won‘t work. My old Photobucket account has been shut down. Here is an image of the doors in low resolution. Nothing suspicious to be seen.

89F51A7C-F290-481E-8883-F586F798E2D2.jpeg

Edited by Mace Handowan

Yeah it might lean a bit to the front. That said, did you receive v84 update? It fixes one issue with front landing gear which can cause it to sink too deep. Basically two 1x4 plates need to be added.

Lightning - yes, the levers are supposed to stay put. You slide them inward by about a stud and then have to pull them out. And you need to do it with quite a lot of force, there's a lot of friction there.

As for the doors, well, I can't see anything wrong there either. If more people will report issues with that I'll just remove them. This is a non-critical detail.

Instead of photobucket try imgur; works like a charm for me and you can just ctrl+v a a link and it will automatically embed here. 

13 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Yeah it might lean a bit to the front. That said, did you receive v84 update? It fixes one issue with front landing gear which can cause it to sink too deep. Basically two 1x4 plates need to be added.

Lightning - yes, the levers are supposed to stay put. You slide them inward by about a stud and then have to pull them out. And you need to do it with quite a lot of force, there's a lot of friction there.

As for the doors, well, I can't see anything wrong there either. If more people will report issues with that I'll just remove them. This is a non-critical detail.

Instead of photobucket try imgur; works like a charm for me and you can just ctrl+v a a link and it will automatically embed here. 

Thanks again for the quick reply. Only got v81. Any other changes in v84? Edit: Just downloaded the files again and checked the change log 👍.

Will check again regarding the lighting system. But as already mentioned: FANTASTIC model. Love it 😊. Thanks for the amazing work. Already planning to build either your TIE Fighter or TIE Advanced next 😁.

Edited by Mace Handowan

As far as I know v84 was sent to everyone, just checked. Please check your e-mail, possibly spam folder? If not send me a PM.

Most of the fixes were to the instructions themselves, some clarifications and minor adjustments here and there.

Changelist:
- wedge belt wheel in pdf part list had wrong part id
- some 1x1 plates were incorrectly rotated in the engines
- step 939 had diagram showing 1x1 corner 2-stud piece, while it is a 1-stud piece
- a hose parts list in step 1048 incorrectly had parts list showing (for this step it should be disabled entirely)
- two plates near front landing gear were missing
- front right opening panel (with gun rack) had additional hinge top which caused the doors not to be able to open fully

15 minutes ago, Jerac said:

As far as I know v84 was sent to everyone, just checked. Please check your e-mail, possibly spam folder? If not send me a PM.

Most of the fixes were to the instructions themselves, some clarifications and minor adjustments here and there.

Changelist:
- step 939 had diagram showing 1x1 corner 2-stud piece, while it is a 1-stud piece
- a hose parts list in step 1048 incorrectly had parts list showing (for this step it should be disabled entirely)
- front right opening panel (with gun rack) had additional hinge top which caused the doors not to be able to open fully

Thanks for the change log. And nope, nothing in the spam folder. I just downloaded the file again and now I have the latest version. The two 1x4 plates are located directly in front of the dark blueish gray hinge piece where the landing gear connects to?

Edited by Mace Handowan

Please ask Brickvault for an update, perhaps there's some technical issue or something. I apologize I can't help with that!

6 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Please ask Brickvault for an update, perhaps there's some technical issue or something. I apologize I can't help with that!

No problem there. Just downloaded the file again and now I have the latest version. The two 1x4 plates are located directly in front of the dark bluish gray hinge piece where the front landing gear connects to?

49 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Ah I'm also still at v81 and have not had the v84 update - nothing in the spam so I'll try the re-downloading trick.  I'm only at step 56 as I'm waiting for my final order to arrive so hopefully no issues for me..

Edited by Hold0511

2 hours ago, Jerac said:

Changelist:

Didn’t get the mail neither but i just downloaded new version.

Glad to hear there’s only two 1x4 to add for the update :)

Nice to see a part list without the stand, it has been an headache to me to remove those parts from my wanted list. :p

Edited by Lfm55

Awesome build!  As others have said, huge credit to Jerac (and anyone associated with the design and instructions and release) for this MOC.  The minor 'issues' I encountered seem to be addressed in v84, though I just worked around them via v81.

This is one of my favourite MOCs, and I've built a reasonable number.  I can also highly recommend Jerac's other superb Star Wars MOCs, including the TIE ln, TIE Advanced, FO TIE, X-Wing, and Y-Wing: all really enjoyable and great display models.

I've included some comparison photos with the official Lego Razor Crest.  Towards the bottom of this post I've also included some photos of minor mods I performed; just subtle details.

1XtDG7h.jpg

9bzjXLZ.jpg

IDTsFA4.jpg

JDg2oK4.jpg

pYQZtsF.jpg

rQgoZ68.jpg

7L71Mbo.jpg

8Xs7O4P.jpg

I built a 'fixed' front landing pad.  I haven't built the stand, so the Razor Crest will sit on its own feet.  This also levels-out the ship.

JYelOZj.jpg

vNyKVcT.jpg

I replaced Blue Axle Pins with a Black 3L axle in the rear landing gear, and DBG Axle 4 with Stop:

FKDhOPw.jpg

hdDxOwP.jpg

I modified the top 'escape pod' section, which required a bit of work because Jerac's design is intricately integrated.  The section was shortened 2 studs and I used a DBG Boat Stud piece to replicate the viewport (window) in the pod.  The front edge was simplied using slope pieces (arguably less 'interesting' to the eye, so Jerac's design has merit):

hLF6wHf.jpg

zRxUfOR.jpg

Finally, I deleted one of the 'window' section behind the canopy, which better-replicates the production version. One of Jerac's windows is actually incorporated into the Lego windscreen piece.  The back Wedge Bricks are moved forward one stud:

lsSy4FE.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I highly recommend you build this MOC if you're sitting on the fence thinking about it. :excited:

Edited by shiny_car

8 hours ago, shiny_car said:

I've included some comparison photos with the official Lego Razor Crest.  Towards the bottom of this post I've also included some photos of minor mods I performed; just subtle details.

The official set looks so miserable aside the moc :D

As i won’t be building the stand, thanks for your picture of the front landing gear,

It might helps when i will finally be building mine (hurry up lego brick n pieces!).

The one in the build looks somewhat fragile to support such a big ship.

I’ll try first the v84 solution and if i am not satisfied, i’ll use your mod.

5 hours ago, Lfm55 said:

The official set looks so miserable aside the moc :D

As i won’t be building the stand, thanks for your picture of the front landing gear,

It might helps when i will finally be building mine (hurry up lego brick n pieces!).

The one in the build looks somewhat fragile to support such a big ship.

I’ll try first the v84 solution and if i am not satisfied, i’ll use your mod.

The ship rests only about 5% of its weight on front leg:

JZqsCL2.png

949CUyA.png

(this weighs only one rear leg, so there's 1.4 additional weight in the back).

Also with the 1x4 plates added in v84 the load is passed through angled plates and the skip right to the ship's lower frame, so flimsy-looking droid arm is not doing anything in regard to weight transfer.
Even if it had to, 120 grams of force is not much :)

Allright Jerac, thank you again for that fantastic customer support :)

This looks really fantastic! Especially compared with the official LEGO version which now looks likes a small, silly brother ;-)
Is there a way the partslist of this model could be shared?
I am interested in finding out how many pieces I am missing before ordering the instructions.

Man that thing is beautiful! Especially after seeing it next to the official set! I thought I could live with the official set, because the MOC's cost so much, but I think I need to start saving......

I love it. Must be the sexiest UPS Truck ever. Ordering the parts won't be cheap, but I think I'll go for it eventually. I love the ship and I love the MOC. Too bad that in the show the Razor Crest is no more...

A little piece of advice for those wanting the canopy:

i see in the beginning of march, some have been sold cheap (around 10€) while all currently available are 40+..

It could be useful to activate notifications for this part in your wanted list so if a cheap one appears for sale, you’re warned.

5 minutes ago, wargrider said:

Just received my last pacakge, all the parts are here so I can start the build!

Great. Enjoy the build. You will not be disappointed. Amazing model.