Jerac

The Tribute to The Razor Crest - Released!

Poor ship.

50715056178_82b75da64c_k.jpg

I have to say, I am not a huge fan of its looks. It is like an UPS truck, or a beat-down cab in poorer part of the city. Gets the job done and offers just minimal creature comforts. On top of that this particular ship had no easy life either. If I had to write all the accidents it had I'd basically describe half or more of the story of the Mandalorian show, so to avoid spoilers - go watch it yourself.
For now just believe me: Millennium Falcon had really easy and nice life compared to the Razor Crest.

I did not plan to build it initially, but Brickvault guys asked me one time if I would and I agreed. After all this is quite a small ship, right? And boxy, easy shape, right? So I'll just do a month or maybe month-and-half detour from my plan, riiight?

Oh boy. This aged like milk. We talked in May and, uh, I am not done yet, but more on that later :D

This one-and-half month detour took half of the year, almost 5k pieces and was far harder than I expected it would be. Once again, an angular thing proves to be far more difficult in LEGO than a curved one. Got a tiny angle wrong and everything falls apart.
And the size? Just about 70 studs. Yeah. There goes "quite a small ship". Btw, would you consider it an UCS or minifig scale, considering it is... kinda... both?

So what do we have here? 5k pieces, a bit over 3 kilos of mass, plenty of features, internal frame strong enough to do this:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP6ZbI-UJ09F5vPPMEbTkF1L9q2EZkMnegT8EbEC4fFMUba0WqZii3KR3Pcg_Waag/photo/AF1QipOPONHBr-6ATUGQnvs1n3uJr-Gy7C0HCNvY79DY?key=MmRXMFNjTFVIU3Rmekg3UTZqOUhvTEY1MzB3TUxB

I had some fun at, uh, "temporary local beach" (on quite a high floor!)

50715055763_d0f1f47139_k.jpg

50715791441_2a38cb9e35_k.jpg

50715870492_7405c4b7d4_k.jpg

...and on the Levitating Plate:

50715870242_dd65711621_k.jpg

All the hatches open:
50715054168_2c709a76fc_k.jpg

there are also additional hatches to access interior details. Truth to be told, access is not great. This is not really a play model because it is so heavy, but you can adjust stuff inside.

50715869452_98df83e8b5_h.jpg

50715790721_58bfc30953_k.jpg

50715869727_2e23032eae_k.jpg

50715054448_d8ff440199_k.jpg

The cockpit seats three, front seat folds for easy access to the back row:

50715053888_24718c8e15_h.jpg

50715053808_9683cc570d_h.jpg

...and of course there's plenty of space for Mando's quarries:

50715790156_aafa8b3ebc_h.jpg

So, why is it not done yet?

I probably got the roof angle wrong. Actually, I definitely got it wrong. But is it a big deal? 
What do you think? Should I just proceed with instructions "as-is" or would like to see this updated? Or maybe you actually like this slightly slanted roof section?

Instructions will be available on brickvault when complete, and there's a nice preorder for reduced price for now:
https://www.brickvault.toys/products/razorcrest

------------------------------------------------------------

Razor Crest Update #1!

I believe that's final design. Roof is now properly flattened, while still retaining minscule but noticeable wing angle, section behind the cockpit has been changed for better shape, and engines were updated thanks to ScottishDave's input on Eurobricks. 

Now I need to update the studio model (not too hard, should be few hours at worst) and I can get to making instructions. In the meantime, Brickvault will commence their internal review to ensure there are no flaws in the model, parts lists or instructions.

I'd like to thank everyone who preordered, commented and liked - fantastic support from you all!

Stay tuned for future updates!

2iWXJBT.pngVS2tBqm.pngaHhrWVI.pngOjB2u7A.png6gB1Nf3.pngdGDESne.png

Tn4reek.png

Thanks for viewing! 

EDIT: 

The instructions are released - to be found on brickvault.toys !

Edited by Jerac

I don’t have the budget right now, but your work is this time again really impressive!

This is a really clean build, but i am not expert enough to give you any advice on the roof.

edit: 

I just had a look at the video on the link, the sturdiness is awesome (i look at you,  x-wing!) and the balance of the build even more!

Edited by Lfm55

As with all current Razor Crests, the proportions will be off here or there until the blueprints of actual model are made public.

I do enjoy seeing your solutions to some complicated places. Awesome work, as usual!

4 minutes ago, WickNole said:

As with all current Razor Crests, the proportions will be off here or there until the blueprints of actual model are made public.

I do enjoy seeing your solutions to some complicated places. Awesome work, as usual!

Yeah... I started using a 3d model found on shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XMY9UMY6V/razor-crest-1-270?optionId=133650239
It just looked right to me. It honestly is a great 3d model and kudos to its author(s)!

Since when I started there was only first season available, which had no shots showing the roof from the side, I had no idea it is wrong. Also I guess this is why the shapeways author, Mel Miniatures got it wrong too.

And then Season Two came and aside from other bad stuff it did for the Razor Crest, it also shown me I messed up up there :D

Edited by Jerac

Just now, Jerac said:

Yeah... I started using a 3d model found on shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XMY9UMY6V/razor-crest-1-270?optionId=133650239
It just looked right to me.

:) We all did the models based on Season 1 data and 3d "fan-sources" available (just checked the one I used... and it is not there anymore).

In my opinion, if you attempt a redesign based on latest data -  this will result in a completely new model, with new shapes, angles and design solutions. So let the ship be a v1.0 in all her glory.

9 minutes ago, WickNole said:

:) We all did the models based on Season 1 data and 3d "fan-sources" available (just checked the one I used... and it is not there anymore).

In my opinion, if you attempt a redesign based on latest data -  this will result in a completely new model, with new shapes, angles and design solutions. So let the ship be a v1.0 in all her glory.

Oh I am for sure going to attempt a redesign in studio. For now it seems it is doable to just angle the roof right and redo the tail. If I have to adjust those goddamned wing leading edges... v.1.0 is the FINAL and DEFINITE and it STAYS!

Great design, jerac! There've been a lot of razor crest mocs in the past year, but yours is definitely one of the best.

RIP razor crest, forever in our hearts. :cry3:

"no one's ever really gone"

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

RIP razor crest, forever in our hearts. :cry3:

I'm sure Boba has a house full of ships like some rich guy with plenty of sportscars and will ask his new friend Mando to pick one ;)

DSC_089011.jpg

Very well done Jerac! I really like the slick look with no stud.

I do not know why, but I have a crush on the use of skis for the engine exhaust.

This is amazing. I see that you used the canopy piece from the official LEGO razor crest. However that set is on a much smaller scale. It seems to me that the canopy piece would be too narrow to stay proportional for minifigure scale. Is that the case or is the canopy piece actually wider than I think.

And what a tribute it is!

Excellent work, Jarek. As always. Some really crazy angles (I have no idea which one you consider incorrect, I didn't notice), neat details, tan instead of yellow - and it's all spot on. I'm really, really digging it.

Congratulations!

Would you recommand to buy the 75292 for its parts or only the printed canopy?

Minifig wise, i would just buy the new trouble on tatooine set..

Actually finding a 75292 right now is not easy, but i’m not in a hurry ?

Edited by Lfm55
Spelling

55 minutes ago, Lfm55 said:

Would you recommand to buy the 75292 for its parts or only the printed canopy?

Minifig wise, i would just buy the new trouble on tatooine set..

Actually finding a 75292 right know is not easy, but i’m not in a hurry ?

I bought jus the canopy for another moc and its not too bad. Like 5-6 bucks maybe...and nvm. Only 7 at bricklink and for over $20. ?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=67950pb01&idColor=12#T=S&C=12&O={"color":12,"iconly":0}

You’re right, and all are pretty far away from my place, postage will cost a lot too.

I’ll wait to buy instructions and check the part list before buying the whole set or just the canopy.

Due to significantly different architecture (sideways brick-built smooth surfaces vs tiled plates), amount of pieces shared with the set is somewhat low. I could optimize it to up to about 50%, but it would make it worse for everyone who does not have the set. 

I recommend to get just the canopy now, since its price and availability shifts wildly!

Hey Jerac

The video you posted was shocking! I was really impressed about the MOCs sturdyness – despite the fact it looks quite fragile. Great job, especially with the interior you decided to include.

You managed to catch the spirit of the ship. This shape is on the edge.

Greetings,

Kommander

On 12/22/2020 at 9:16 PM, Jerac said:

Due to significantly different architecture (sideways brick-built smooth surfaces vs tiled plates), amount of pieces shared with the set is somewhat low. I could optimize it to up to about 50%, but it would make it worse for everyone who does not have the set. 

I recommend to get just the canopy now, since its price and availability shifts wildly!

Thank for clarification, 

However before i’ll buy the canopy, I’ll wait a little for the part list ?

Already bought the instructions, waiting now for the release. ?

I looked on bricklink for the canopy out of curiosity. And I only saw 2 available! But I imagine that in time there will be more.