Sign in to follow this  
Kozikyo86

[MOC] Smuggler's Shanty and Castaway's Raft

Hi everyone! 

I would like to show you two simple constructions that I have built.

The idea was to make something like shop sets, and to refer to the classics, such a contemporary version. Plus a style to match Barracuda Bay. A hut inspired by a set from 1992, Smuggler's Shany 6258, Raft to Castaway's Raft 6257 from 1989. The larger project is 188 parts, the smaller 92.

I will share both MOCs with a parts list, the tutorial will be available on my YouTube channel - edge of bricks.

I'm also thinking about some more modifications, maybe something from Islanders? ?? Any ideas?

What do you think about this projects? 

Pirates MOC by Edge of Bricks_3

Pirates MOC by Edge of Bricks_2

Pirates MOC by Edge of Bricks_1

Edited by Kozikyo86

Nice build.  The shanty looks good, I like that is spans across the water to the small outcropping of rocks.  The use of the flag pieces for the sail on the raft makes it look tattered.  Nice looking figs too.  

Nice work, I could see these being official sets. You have managed to capture the style of the last pirate line and Barracuda Bay with a homage to the original sets. Islanders would be a logical next step!

21 hours ago, Kozikyo86 said:

What do you think about this projects? 

This project is a fantastic update to old classics! pir-triumph.png

Frontpage material, don't you agree, @Ayrlego?

23 hours ago, Kozikyo86 said:

I'm also thinking about some more modifications, maybe something from Islanders? ?? Any ideas?

Imperial Armada :pir-devil:

Nice build! I love how the style is similar to Pirates of Barracuda Bay.

Very nice. I like you've combined older sets, with the feeling of the new barracuda bay. If only would see the benefits :)

Excellent modernization !

I'd love a new Pirate wave based upon this style !

A new Islanders' set would be amazing !

I love both of those projects, actually the raft inspired my topic here.

I'm planning to put them together in Studio soon-ish, with some small mods.

The raft is already getting there:

Spoiler

AitsgGL.png

Edited by zinnn

This is absolutely gorgeous! You really recreated the structure of those classic sets sets quite nicely while modernizing their colors and details enough that they feel like they could believably fit in with newer sets like Barracuda Bay. You even managed to include some great play features like secret hiding spots for loot that weren't even present of the original set!

And needless to say, it's very generous and diligent of you to create a building guide. I don't really look at MOCs on YouTube very often but I gave your video a look and it's very well shot. I hope all the effort you put into this video is appreciated by your other viewers!

I do kind of wish that the shanty roof's texture still felt like thatched palm leaves and less like tiles/shingles. Maybe you could try adding some quarter-circle tiles to the ends of the 1x2 tiles you're already using so the raised portions have more of a "leafy" shape? Your choice, of course.

Fantastic job overall!