TheLazyChicken

LED lighting for transparent bricks?

Hello everyone!

I am planning to build a semi-large (5"x10") mosaic made of transparent 1x1 bricks. Is there a way to use LED lights to light up the mosaic from the back? My intention is to integrate it into my city as a cyberpunk style display, but I'm unsure how to create even lighting throughout the mosaic. Any tips will help!

Thank you!

Well, you'd likely have to source transparent stud plates from some third-party company. LEGO hasn't produced anything of that sort in ages. The rest should be trivial. Chances are, you could even buy a pre-made light panel kit from AdaFruit or similar outlets that offer electronics solutions based on Raspberri Pi or Arduino and then customize it to your needs.

Mylenium

You will need a diffuser to diffuse the light. If you have an old laptop you are willing to take apart then they are a good source. Or you can just use a piece of clear acrylic sheet, and you sand it with fine sandpaper or better still rub with carborundum powder to make it translucent. That then scatters the light rather than have it coming from the LED point sources.

I'd use a white translucent acrylic sheet you can get from most "big box" lumber stores. It won't take much light to make the whole thing glow. Then, whatever you put in front of it will light up.

I don't know how much space you have behind / underneath it? 
Think you better can choose something like ccfl's. Those are not expensive and the light is much more 'spread' then when you use led's, especially when you have not that much space. I've use them a lot, mostly in my car and some in christmas creations. They also don't get warm.